PDA

View Full Version : Problems... gettin old

DMaybury
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I have a 2006 trx 450 er electric start. It doesnt start worth a puddle of piss and it always kicks back when its turning over. It will turn over until the battery dies then when i hook it up to charger it turns over for a bit, fires a few times, then starts. Had low compression so just put in new piston and rings and some other stuff and didnt gain any compression. Why doesnt it start?!?!?! its getting very old. help me please

MR4Engine202
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Did you readjust your valves...also with the 06 i had i found it starts up really fast with no kick back if you just push the throttle a little bit just enough to take a little more than the slack out of cable...now ik ppl say not to do this but the thing would kick back without doing it even after the recall...and would start up with within 2 revolutions with no kickback my way so i think that is safer for it in my instance...keep in mind this is when it was warm

Baileygunns
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
You need to adjust your decompression.

No, No, No gas on start up. You will eat up your starter clutch.

airmobile101
03-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
You need to adjust your decompression.

No, No, No gas on start up. You will eat up your starter clutch.
No, give the throttle a push or two, then hit the starter button AFTER you did that.

airmobile101
03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Look, lets make this easy. A 450er needs the decompression set at around 60-65 psi. After you do that, hit the throttle once or twice BEFORE you hit the start button. Not the fastest firing quad, but she will fire;)

DMaybury
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Baileygunns: how do i adjust the decompression?

Baileygunns
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
You download this manual (http://www.filefront.com/13907248/06trx450rSM.zip) and go step by step... :D

MR4Engine202
03-24-2010, 03:19 PM
if i pump the throttle to prime it and dont do the throttle thing the starter still kicks back and stops, sounds horrible...like i said it fires right up with basically taking the slack out of the cable and ive had buddies that have done the same thing...and never once doing it exactly like i do has it kicked back

DnB_racing
03-29-2010, 07:19 AM
My quad had problems starting tryed everything, jetting,spark,valves,fuel,carb,had right compression then I checked my starter clutch and took all measurments for spec they were out of spec and the starter clutch was slipping just enough not to let it start but the motor seamed to be turning over just fine but the slipping was just enough that if my battery wasnt fully charged it woldnt start after I replaced my starter clutch starts better than it has in a long time thanks to all the cleaning and adjusting but dont be afaid to check the starter clutch they do slip and cause problems its a easy fix

z400bs
04-01-2010, 06:09 PM
06 450rs are famous for the starter going out. Mine went out and wouldnt even turn the motor over. so replace it, and see what happens. When you start it, pump the gas 2 or 3 times, then start it up without hitting the gas. Hitting the gas while starting it up is not good for it.

MR4Engine202
04-04-2010, 01:55 PM
like ive said in the other post if i do any thing other than that it clanks and stops turning over...but if i take just a tiny bit more than the slack out it will fire right up without it clanking and stopping...and in doing that ive never had it kick back...same with my buddies 06 ...ill post a video if i get around to it

DnB_racing
04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
mr4 it sounds like you just have to tighten your throttle cable