PDA

View Full Version : Bad Noise from engine

Davids440ex
01-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Yesterday i put my carb back on after fixing my thumb throttle. well i went to fir it up and it would start, and when i gave it gas it mad a real bad clunking noise, only when it got gas, then the battery died so i put it on the carger, let it sit for a min. and the started it, it fired up but sounded like it was missing and it clunk every few seconds, i run 76 110 octane fuel, w/ 440 kit, i have never had a problem with it until now,

Please Help

Thanks

Justin330ex
01-27-2003, 08:17 AM
ok did you clean your carb. ? did you tighten all jets , you sure you re-installed it right? did you seat the throttle in the carb. correct?
those are things to look at so try these

Mxbubs
01-27-2003, 08:47 AM
That doesnt sound good at all.....I learned the hard way, I hope you dont make my mistakes.....

Kill it, go into the motor and find out what the problem is before it cost you more money.:D

nastynotchback1
01-27-2003, 05:06 PM
sounds like you may have drop somthing in the cylinder when you had the carb off.

NoWingNoPrayer
01-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Haha if this is what im thinkin the problem is a sinch!!!!

Check your Choke! if its 3/4 or fully engaged after half throttle it makes a god awful noise From being starved of Air!!!

badass400ex
01-27-2003, 07:55 PM
did you happen to move the needle position

Davids440ex
01-27-2003, 09:22 PM
i don't run a choke on my carb

ChadEXer
01-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Be sure to check that your head gasket isnt leaking too..

Davids440ex
01-28-2003, 06:45 PM
it is its time to rebuild it,i think i'll order the parts tommorow, how do you know when your valves need to be adjusted?

nakomis0
01-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Davids440ex
it is its time to rebuild it,i think i'll order the parts tommorow, how do you know when your valves need to be adjusted?

What was the problem? head gasket?

Davids440ex
01-28-2003, 07:37 PM
i dont know what it is yet compression is good, we might take the head off tomorrow just to check, but last night it only didt it when you gave it gas so we took the carb off and it didnt do it, so we clean the he!! out of it, still did it today. I don't know what it could be

nakomis0
01-28-2003, 07:58 PM
I just wanna say mine makes that same clunking noise.

It does that when mine isn't jetted right or sometimes when its not warmed up.

I'm gonna say its a problem alot of guys are having around this time..... bad gas and cold weather?

Whatever it is mine does the same thing occasionally.:)

NoWingNoPrayer
01-29-2003, 08:59 PM
When your valves need to be adjusted you will hear a Tapping/pinging sound. your starting will be harder and compression will be way down.

01-29-2003, 09:24 PM
David, I think you may want to better describe the clunking noise before you just start randomly rebuilding parts of your motor.

Does it follow the rpms clunk,clunk,clunk or is it more random like when you hit the gas it will rev a little and then clunk etc.

Is it a very high or low pitched sound? seem to be coming from any part of the motor?

You may also want to rethink the whole process of your last mod or repair since I am guessing it didnt make this noise b4.

It does make a diff to what it may be and no sense rebuilding your top end if its a problem in your bottom or carb etc.

Ralph
01-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
David, I think you may want to better describe the clunking noise before you just start randomly rebuilding parts of your motor.

Does it follow the rpms clunk,clunk,clunk or is it more random like when you hit the gas it will rev a little and then clunk etc.

Is it a very high or low pitched sound? seem to be coming from any part of the motor?

You may also want to rethink the whole process of your last mod or repair since I am guessing it didnt make this noise b4.

It does make a diff to what it may be and no sense rebuilding your top end if its a problem in your bottom or carb etc. man u sure do know ur egnines, i heard from a friend ur pretty good with that ****, expect alot of pm's when i build my 416;)

Davids440ex
01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
it sould like sounds like the startor slaping it might be my valves likes you sayed it makes that noise i'm getting them adjusted monday.

01-29-2003, 10:41 PM
nothing wrong with adjusting the valves and it only take a little while.

If the starter is making noise then consider looking in that area also. There is a series of gears that drive the crank from the starter and one of those could be bad. Does it make any unusuall sound when you start it?

Remember that noise travels also so it could be from another place.

Davids440ex
01-29-2003, 11:21 PM
were going to take the head off next week