PDA

View Full Version : Wood chips

Pappy
03-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, I finally said screw it and cut a few slabs. Learned alot and will apply it to the next cutting!

Nothing like the buzz of a mean saw! Now to wait for the slabs to air dry (8 months or so) so I can then make them into something!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC00022/816947838_fdWw8-O.jpg

Pipeless416
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
how thick did you go?

Pappy
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
These are 2 inches thick. I am pretty confident the crotch will split as it had a good dark line all the way through it. If it does it will happen in a few weeks ruining it for a table top, but I can then resaw it into turning blanks so no loss.

hondaking52
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
what the heck is on the side of ur bar?

Sjorge450R
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
what the heck is on the side of ur bar?

correct me if i am wrong but I believe that it is for when he cuts slabs that he keeps a straight and even cut width.

what exactly are you looking to make with these?

Pappy
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
It's an Alaska Mill. They were designed to cut boards and make cants (beams) in the wilderness.

Hopefully Steve...some tables, benches etc.

I slabbed some Cherry today. They are over 4ft long and 2 1/2 inches thick along with a few smaller pieces.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC00025/817851988_Yt7VZ-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC00026/817852428_vwqWT-O.jpg

fastredrider44
03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
If I were you, I'd be finding someone local with a Wood Mizer sawmill.:cool:

Pappy
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
No need for that yet, and I can add longer rails and bar and cut wider then most any bandsaw:p If I were making 1 inch boards i'd agree....but for slabs these work great and dont cost $25k:p

Quad18star
03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I'd hate to run into the beaver that created those wood chips. :p

Pappy
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh man the saw sounds so sweet:p Its basically at WOT for 2 minutes or so depending on the width and length of log. I havent heard a meaner saw on this ridge:devil: And if I do...big bore kit and Pro pipe:eek: :devil:

hondaking52
03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
haha, was size stihl is that? our 066 with the 3 foot bar is pretty sick!

Quad18star
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Oh man the saw sounds so sweet:p Its basically at WOT for 2 minutes or so depending on the width and length of log. I havent heard a meaner saw on this ridge:devil: And if I do...big bore kit and Pro pipe:eek: :devil:
Braaap Braaap Braaap.

How much is that wood going to shrink up once it's dried out? Looks like a few of those pieces would make for some nice tables or benches.

ZeroLogic
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Looks good there Pappy. Are you using a rip chain?

You might want to invest in one of these.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11447&filter=moisture:macho

fastredrider44
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Naw, not to buy, just to use or have someone cut for you, with you there of course. I cut wood for people all the time. I have several large chainsaws, but I wouldn't even attempt that. Wood mizer is smoother and faster. Are you going to be planing them or leaving them rough cut?

Pappy
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
My cuts are as smooth as a bandsaw cut believe it or not. There are a few spots at the end that arent so hot but when your working with natural edge stuff its a learning process to keep things smooth.

I will buy a woodmizer soon but for board sized lumber due to the number of cuts needed per log. I dont see any sense in paying someone to do my work, I tend to do my own and end up making money doing for others LOL

No ripping chain, I will just file standard chain with a 10 degree rake. Its more about technique then the chain from what im learning and being told:p At the end of the cut you have a 100+ pound slab trying to walk a bit but that area can be easily lopped off and your still left with a 4ft + (or whatever) piece to use for a table top etc.

Everything except the one type of slab will end up being run througha planer. Im trying to find out if our High School or Tech school has one large enough and they should I believe....which means I should be able to get them done for free.

Its a no rush deal, minimum of a year before I can work with the slabs so plenty of time to make things happen.

Me and the boys dropped a 80 foot oak this evening and cut the main portion into 6 foot pieces (rest into fire wood). We milled 1 smaller piece and it is sure pretty (red oak) It will make outstanding tops!!!

Pappy
03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Here is a few pics from some chain saw milling (not mine)

This piece is 53 inches wide.....much to wide for the majority of BSM's...need a circular saw mill for that sucker!

Pappy
03-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Lots of cool wood hiding in some of these trees!

Pappy
03-24-2010, 06:06 PM
The one site I have been reading as some serious individuals ho live and breathe this stuff:p

He is sucking on a cold one while the saw does the work! I tried milling on a slope and it is almost effortless! Not sure my rig is balanced enough to let it loose on its own:D He uses a remote throttle as well...crazy stuff

ZeroLogic
03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Whats the website you go on?

Pappy
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
forestry.com is a good one

CJM
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Very cool, what size/model/bar size saw are you running? I need a new saw and love making furniture so this seems right up my alley.

Pappy
03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Stihl 660 with a 24 inch bar.....

Plans are to run a 42 inch bar with an auxillary oil cooler for most slab work on a 36 inch Alaskan

CJM
03-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Stihl 660 with a 24 inch bar.....

Plans are to run a 42 inch bar with an auxillary oil cooler for most slab work on a 36 inch Alaskan

Thats a big saw! I was gonna get a 280, 290 or 362. Probably not enough to do that kinda ripping unless I took my time. Probably gonna get a farmboss in reality.

Even so very cool still. I would make tables out of it.

Pappy
03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I have a 290 (same as a FB) and yes, its on the small side for ripping but can work.

Pappy
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
The past few days have been busy:p This work should have been done in February but wasnt due to the snow.

Dropped 2 more decent sized red oaks today along with a Persimmon. The woodlot is starting to take shape

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC9508/819507825_6i7xV-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC9509/819507769_QioQp-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC9510/819507717_hcHvS-O.jpg

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Hehe:devil: Here's a biggo poplar for ya.

Pappy
03-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I think my tractor would run and hide LOL

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Mine too. :o

Pappy
03-25-2010, 07:14 PM
I did mange to chat with my neighbor this evening. He is the AG teacher and said he can plane up to 24'' and the schools woodshop has one that will go wider, so im good to go on getting the slabs planed when im ready!

I will keep my eyes open for a planer for smaller wood but its nice knowing I can get them done for the cost of a slab here or there in trade:D

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Heck yeah. BTW, you ready to tackle some Walnut yet? I cut up some walnut here a while back and it's plain beautiful. Also cut some Cedar and Cherry.:cool:

Pappy
03-25-2010, 08:35 PM
I have some walnut to go get, but the feller fell ill yesterday and is in the hospital. Hopefully its nothings erious.

I also have another guy who is giving me 3 ft slabs 2 inches thick for free:eek2:

I have a cedar tree waiting on me to go get:p

And I just ordered some new loops and a bigger Alakan Mill along with typical filters and such....I better make something and sell it soon or ill be broke LOL!

I have to find a good area to store alot of this after its slabbed. Ive been told by those in the know to stand them verticle instead of stickering them horizontal so im going with that, but like anything, im running out of room. I figure I can manage 50 slabs before I have to go outside with them, so I imagine a tractor shed is now on my "to do" list. They can be outside but out of the sun and wet areas.

I have the money set aside to go get my big shop bandsaw so I can work some of this into turning blanks for game calls. It has 14 inches of Resaw so it will be great for other smaller tops plus coat racks etc.

Are we having fun yet:p

ZeroLogic
03-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I have some walnut to go get, but the feller fell ill yesterday and is in the hospital. Hopefully its nothings erious.

I also have another guy who is giving me 3 ft slabs 2 inches thick for free:eek2:

I have a cedar tree waiting on me to go get:p

And I just ordered some new loops and a bigger Alakan Mill along with typical filters and such....I better make something and sell it soon or ill be broke LOL!

I have to find a good area to store alot of this after its slabbed. Ive been told by those in the know to stand them verticle instead of stickering them horizontal so im going with that, but like anything, im running out of room. I figure I can manage 50 slabs before I have to go outside with them, so I imagine a tractor shed is now on my "to do" list. They can be outside but out of the sun and wet areas.

I have the money set aside to go get my big shop bandsaw so I can work some of this into turning blanks for game calls. It has 14 inches of Resaw so it will be great for other smaller tops plus coat racks etc.

Are we having fun yet:p

Can't beat that Pappy. Are you goin to get rid of your mil? If so I know someone who would take it off your hands at the right price.;) I made an copy of the mill at home and it cuts fine, but the Alaskan looks so much smoother.

fastredrider44
03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
We built a small "green house" type deal where we could get boards down to around 8% moisture no problem. Kiln drying is pretty sweet, but not cheap.:ermm:

Pappy
03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
yep, no need for 2 mills so it needs a home

CJM
03-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Yea I dont think I need a larger saw Pap, 290 is what I would need b/c it would probably be more usefull to me overall.

If your gonna dry them in a room, see if you can insulate a small shed or something an run a dehumidifier in there to remove all the moisture. Friend does this for drying out stuff and it works great.