PDA

View Full Version : 400ex starting problems

chrisrzz1012
03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I tried starting my 02 400ex and it doen't want to start-up. The battery and starter turns over. I replaced the gas, spark plug, cleaned the carb, and blew out the air filter. No luck. I even tried putting some gas down the cylinder ( where the plug goes too). Still no luck. It actually started twice then slut off less then 10-15 secs. Call me at 651-262-9570. I'll be outside working on it this afternoon.

chrisrzz1012
03-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Here we go, I know I'll have some backlash so be it. I wrote this thread in hopes of somebody might know whats up with my one 400ex. I got no responses at all. Thats makes me wonder on how mechanically people on here really is. I talked to another senior member about that samething 2 weeks ago. Not only no responses but actually one member on here thought it was funny that not only my one ex is not starting but now I found out my tow rig is doing the samething. Thats not what I call being very helpful.

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Well it could be a number of things that wont let it start, most of the time people cant tell whats wrong by just reading posts, im sure most people could figure it out easily it just is a matter of being able to run tests in person.

Id check for spark, if it has good spark then your good there.

then check your gas flow from the tank to the carb, if it pours out your good there.

Then make sure your carb is getting gas, if it will fire for a second or two after you manually pour gas in the intake, then your carb is still gummed up somewhere and needs more cleaning.

If its none of the above, then it may be a coil, or out of timing, but im not there to be able trouble shoot it in person.

Hope it turns out good for you in the end.

bigd's ex
03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Sounds like your float valve might be sticking. If it's been sitting for awhile theres a good chance it's gummed up. I just went thru this myself, First time i cleaned the carb I got nothing. The second time I took it apart put in new jets and cleaned the float valve with very fine steel wool, put it back together and fired right up. You also might want to charge your battery up too, if you have been cranking on it alot. Good luck.