PDA

View Full Version : WOW I missed alot!

oldernslower
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I am new to this forum and first I will say that this place has a lot of great info.
I stopped riding in 99 when the first 400s came out and I rode my friends and thought wow what a bike............11 years later I picked up a new 2007 400 left over at dealer for $3760 otd.
As of now she is bone stock(well I did put a pair of pliers in the tool kit) and I love this machine.
I will be adding some stuff in the future and I am sure I will be asking for help from you guys, so I figured I would atleast say hello for now!
And I could not have picked a better name, b/c I am alot older and even more slower.

trailrider894
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey!! Great you see someone picking up the sport again!! Hope to be hearing from you on this forum more often.

P.S.
here is a little tip, when it comes to asking questions about mechanical problems i would advise you to take heed of the posters that have more than a few hundred posts. The newbs get on here and post there opinion of what could be wrong... and the guys with experience are usually 95% right. Keep my name in your contacts and message me if you ever need any help, i will get back to you the same day if not in the same hour.

P.S.S
Also if someone has lot's of posts and good grammar they are most likely the one's to listen to.

ian0615
03-22-2010, 10:06 AM
nice bike man..i sat on a new 400 not to long ago and tried to explain to the wife why i need it...didnt work out in my favor! lol this is a great forum, and like he said take word for what its worth..just cause you got a few hundred posts dont mean your a smart guy...just means you spend more time on the internet ...not saying you personally ..just sayin

guenther
03-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Looks good. My advice would be to make the search function your friend. You can search for more than 1 word at a time by adding a + in front of each word.

Example:

flat tire balls would be +flat +tire +balls

You have to have 4 or more letters in each word or use a * and 3 letters.

Example:

*oil

Hope that helps!

VTredneckgames
03-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Welcome! Very nice 400.

also just to add what the other guys have posted, at the top of the 400ex forums is a "sticky" thread that contains several very usefull threads.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410964

There is a ton of information in there that a lot of people somehow over look. Welcome!

oldernslower
03-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I dragged my wife to my local dealer who priced out a 2008 400ex for $6100 otd and she said no way! Then I showed her the one I bought listed @ 2995+tax and tags she said I had to get it.............. So I listened to her! Love when a plan comes together!!!!!

ian0615
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
LMAO!! I like your style man! sometimes i will break things just so i have a justifiable excuse to get what i want. She always asks me why i cant leave anything alone. I am trying talk her into letting me buy a 450 and i tell her its so we can ride together, i think she can see right through my excuse.

maybe i will wash the dishes a few more times..its all about the brownie points!

trailrider894
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
What i mean is if someone's advice sounds shaddy or if they don't seem like they know from experience then doubt their answer.

vaget22
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Hey!! Great you see someone picking up the sport again!! Hope to be hearing from you on this forum more often.

P.S.
here is a little tip, when it comes to asking questions about mechanical problems i would advise you to take heed of the posters that have more than a few hundred posts. The newbs get on here and post there opinion of what could be wrong... and the guys with experience are usually 95% right. Keep my name in your contacts and message me if you ever need any help, i will get back to you the same day if not in the same hour.

P.S.S
Also if someone has lot's of posts and good grammar they are most likely the one's to listen to.

I agree, the grammar is a dead give away.

clemsonteg
03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by oldernslower
I dragged my wife to my local dealer who priced out a 2008 400ex for $6100 otd and she said no way! Then I showed her the one I bought listed @ 2995+tax and tags she said I had to get it.............. So I listened to her! Love when a plan comes together!!!!!

Good job, I wish I could find a left over 07 for that price. What do ya need tags for though?

clemsonteg
03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by guenther
Looks good. My advice would be to make the search function your friend. You can search for more than 1 word at a time by adding a + in front of each word.

Example:

flat tire balls would be +flat +tire +balls

You have to have 4 or more letters in each word or use a * and 3 letters.

Example:

*oil

Hope that helps!

Good advice, but the 3 letter thing doesn't always work. For example, on the first page of the thread list right now there is a thread named "oil tank relocated" but when I search *oil it doesn't show up in the results. Another option is to go to google, type in site:www.exriders.com and the 400ex and the term you want to search like oil, and that always helps me find all the short words.

parsell02 400ex
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
this is definitely a great forum, ive been on here for about a month and ive learned so much, ask anything and youll get a great helpfull answer, and nice 400! but grammar has nothing to do with how smart somebody is lol, just how much time they have vs. how well of typer.

trailrider894
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
The validness of peoples answer's can only be based on experience... if they seem like they know what they are talking about... just wait and see if you get multiple people saying the same thing.

CJM
03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Gotta search for terms less than 4 letters long with the asterisk at the end of the word.

Ex: "oil*" will bring up that thread you were talking about.

sc400ex_rider
03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
WOW you got a sweet deal. you have an awesome machine. I would just ride it and enjoy it for 2-3 years before you start modding it. then you will know what to do. I bought my 02 new and just rode it for years stock. and just upgraded as i needed stuff.

honda400ex2003
03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the site and you will have a blast on your 400 for alot of years to come. steve

oldernslower
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
it was plus tax and title fee $99..........not tags, sorry

wild250rman
03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Sold my 07 400 a month back bought as a left over also, wish i could have kept it, I bought a 450r and wife said one had to go. rode mine stock a few months then started adding parts, should have saved the money I paid in extras and just rode and enjoyed it. Once you start modding it is like a sickness you spend more time working on it than riding but if that is your thing go for it.

jcs003
03-27-2010, 03:48 PM
first purchase: handlebars. IMO

Foxhound013
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
A good first mod is a steering stabilizer, the one I bought off of the recommendation of quite a few people was the cnc custom parts stabilizer, I forget what the thread is called but if you type in cnc stabilizer it might come up. Maybe someone else reading knows what I'm talking about. They're supposed to be very good. I haven't gotten to ride with mine yet. Its price is in the 150 dollar range so its a whole lot cheaper than most others and its rebuildable so it isn't junk when it wears out. Also a 42 pilot jet should help with the bikes cold blooded nature. Hope I helped. Welcome to the site too lol, you'll probably learn quite a bit if you do enough reading, I know i've learned quite a bit about my 400.

bigbad400
03-28-2010, 07:24 AM
lmao about the grammar thing. the mechanic that taught me everything and got me a job at the local can am dealership, rode for 30 years and lived his whole life as a atv dirtbike snomobile mechanic. he never passed the 6th grade. still to this day 69 years old he cant read or write, but he can fix anything you want fixed. absolute truth.

my brother is a literature professor and he couldnt change the tire prolly.

most of the time the people that respond are there to help. take everything with a grain of salt and think it through befor jumping on someones suggestions.

happy riding and remember keep the rubber side down.

trailrider894
03-28-2010, 09:45 AM
You wouldn't go to a job interview in swimming trunks (unless it's like a model or lifeguard interview :blah: )... and i am not going to give advice using grammar that sounds like i am from the boonies. It is a professionalism thing. If a mechanic is a good one he will explain exactly what he did, and if he is a professional person i would go back to him, but if he is sloppy in his professionalism i am not going to go back. Plain and simple...