PDA

View Full Version : 400ex going turbo....on a budget

JOHNDOE83
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
I just bought on ebay, a t3 turbo and oil line kit, I have someone to make the exhaust flange and have all the parts to tee into the oil lines.....it was $236.99 for the turbo and oil lines.

I have a fairly low compression piston already with a stage 2 cam, so im hoping this will be around 9:1 compression if not I can just install another gasket to get it a little lower.

During the next week Im going to get the all the adapter pieces I need for the intake, my local junkyard has an un godly amount of small intercoolers and accesories for the install.

First im going to try it with only jetting, if that doesnt work then im going to try the pressurized carb, if that doesnt work im going with a fuel pump and intercooler.

From what Ive seen and had turbo guys tell me, you really dont need the intercooler or fuel pump but I will find out, I also found a dyno right around the corner from my house they want $25 a run, if the install works out good Ill have dyno test's and 1/8th mile 400ex turbo info....

I will post pics of the install as I get the parts, as of now the turbo wont even be here till atleast friday, once the parts get here the build should be fairly quick ....

And if it blows up Ill have alot of ex parts for sale...lol.

gt400ex
03-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I really want to see how this turns out, sounds like fun!

riotact
03-22-2010, 07:05 AM
I hope you actually do this.I been wanting to see a good turbo thread.There have been quite a few people on here that were gonna do it and never did.Be sure to post some good pics and good luck with your project :cool:

clemsonteg
03-22-2010, 07:22 AM
If you want to use the carb, it might be easier to install a carbon ring on the turbo and do a draw through setup instead of a blow through. No need for pressurized carbs and such, just connect the carb to the intake side of the turbo and jet accordingly.

rcatvrider
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
This one should be good. If you can build a good running turbo ex for under say 500 I may attempt the conversion. The turbo you bought is used, correct? That seems awfully cheap.

JOHNDOE83
03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
This one should be good. If you can build a good running turbo ex for under say 500 I may attempt the conversion. The turbo you bought is used, correct? That seems awfully cheap.

Its not a used turbo, It says its new but I believe its a rebuilt turbo cause of the price...

About the draw through setup, yeah im deffinetly thinking of my options and that did cross my mind being that it would be easier to tune, the only thing I dont like is that the gas goes through the turbo...but if thats what makes it run thats what Ill do for sure.

I noticed that most turbo projects go through un nessescary precautions like gauges and air boxes and boost controlers, Im trying to avoid most of this stuff, turbo guys at the drag strip say as long as you know how to tune you wont need that stuff. If I do need a pressurized airbox I have a easy way to make one from the stock ex airbox.

Their advice was run on the lowest boost setting I can, Then everything else is a matter of gas flow and jetting, they also told me easy ways to get lower boost like venting if needed, and since its a 1 cylinder carb engine, it uses ambient air anyway so I dont need an intercooler, but we will see.

I think I can pull this off for under $500, my goal is to make a list of things I did and prices, along with places to go for parts and fabrication. Hopefully I can come up with a budget turbo build that anyone on here can do at home within a weeks time at a good price.

Worst case scenario, I build it, go over budget and blow my motor...lol... but at the very least it will be a learning experience for everyone.

MidnightBlade
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
wow man hope it turns out good. ive been thinking about trying to mount turbo or do some dual exhausts good luck

Wheelie
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
With a blow-through setup, you'll need a blow off valve and a waste gate with some sort of boost controller at the very least. Without this stuff, throw all reliability and rideability out the window.

clemsonteg
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Its not a used turbo, It says its new but I believe its a rebuilt turbo cause of the price...

About the draw through setup, yeah im deffinetly thinking of my options and that did cross my mind being that it would be easier to tune, the only thing I dont like is that the gas goes through the turbo...but if thats what makes it run thats what Ill do for sure.

Depending on which turbo you bought, it may have been a chinese version, which some guys have good luck with and some guys have them explode within 20 minutes of running. As far as the gas going through the turbo, thats not really an issue, it would be if you get a backfire through the intake, the gas and backfire would be the reason for the carbon seal I mentioned above. If you got a common garret T3 turbo buying a carbon seal shouldn't be a big deal.

sc400ex_rider
03-23-2010, 09:18 AM
ya them cheap chinese turbos are not balanced and will eat them selfs.
there is a guy who did it on here to an 05 with a t3/t4 hybrid. it ran great till it blew up. you just need to run the boost to the back of the carb and you will need to pressurize your carb vents and tank vent line. also you need to try to mount the turbo with some metal brackets so all the weight isnt just on the header, leading to cracks

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/321821

but heres a guy who likes them, maybe the gotten better.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/266209-e-bay-evo-iii-big-16g-staying-strong.html

clemsonteg
03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
If you haven't already you really need to check out www.homemadeturbo.com

Those guys are all about doing things on a budget. The only thing that matters is how cheap they can get it to work, and they come up with some pretty good ideas, some not so much haha. And those guys will put a turbo on anything. You can get a lot of parts really cheap too, if you did get a chinese turbo, just be careful.

sc400ex_rider
03-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Heres the guy with the 05

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344994&highlight=turbo

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2010, 07:29 AM
I just checked the tracking numbers for my turbo....

It say's that it is on the truck, for delivery today!!!!

Im hoping to get some pic's posted up later tonight of the turbo and some pic's of where im going to mount it and how.

Should I start a new thread for it, or keep using this one???

The only reason I ask is because, we dont want to have to read 3 or 4 pages of talk before the install, or do we? help me decide...lol

clemsonteg
03-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I would continue the talk until you get everything, give us some pics too :D and then you can start a new thread when you actually get into the install.

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Here are some pic's of the turbo itself, it's a little bigger then I thought it was gonna be, but it still is plenty capable of working.

Just from holding it in place and seeing how it will mount up, I can tell that its gonna have to mount under the seat in the area the tail light usually mounts to, with the intake and exhaust ports facing out the side of the atv.....Basically under the rear grab bar.

My next step is to weld some brackets to mount the turbo to the grab bar, then get the exhaust adapter made.

After that it's just a matter of doing the oil line's, then testing how much air the turbo flow's, then make some adjustments to get a low boost setting.

Hopefully I can get it done soon....lol.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbo005.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbo002.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbo001.jpg

MidnightBlade
03-27-2010, 09:31 PM
lol love the random cattage in the background :p

clemsonteg
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
What is the exhaust and intake turbine size on that turbo? I am thinking that thing is gonna be way too big for your application. Personally I think you would be better with like a t25 from a stock turbo eclipse, or there are some even smaller turbos that would I think they are kkk or something along that line, homemadeturbo.com used to have a list of turbos and what they are good for. They also had some calculations at some point so you can look at a turbo efficiency map and see if the turbo will work properly with your setup.

Miami_Vice454
03-27-2010, 09:43 PM
lol love the random cattage in the background

LMAO.

What is the exhaust and intake turbine size on that turbo? I am thinking that thing is gonna be way too big for your application. Personally I think you would be better with like a t25 from a stock turbo eclipse, or there are some even smaller turbos that would I think they are kkk or something along that line, homemadeturbo.com used to have a list of turbos and what they are good for. They also had some calculations at some point so you can look at a turbo efficiency map and see if the turbo will work properly with your setup.

yea i think it is going to be tad too big. we tried using this same turbo on his yfz480 and it didnt boost until like 6 or 7 thousand rpm.

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by clemsonteg

The air inlet is 3in and the blower side is 2in, I think it might be to big also but its hard to get actual dimensions when ordering stuff online.

I know the rhb3 turbo is to small, theres a gt15 that they advertise for atv's and motorcycle's, Ive been going to the junkyard's and all I find is froze up/damaged turbo's.

Hey miamivice? did it still work as a turbo'd yfz480, or did he wind up changing it out. what was the outcome other then boosting at 6 or 7 thousand rpm's?

clemsonteg
03-28-2010, 10:00 AM
There should be some numbers not the actual size. Like .42, .48, .63, .72 etc are some common numbers. The smaller the number will cause it to spool quicker but run out of air faster, but on a single cylnder that shouldn't be a problem.

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Oh, Ok, this one when I ordered it said it was .50 I think, I dont know what that meant...lol. is that good, bad, or ok. lol.

Im going to double check right now.

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah it's a .50 a.r. and a .57 trim.

JOHNDOE83
04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
UPDATE!!!!

Today I was able to get off work early and go work on the turbo project.

Ive got it mounted up perfectly, its under the seat with the exhaust side dead center of the grab bar, like a sport bike exhaust in the middle of the quad.

Now Im ready to get the exhaust flange made, but wont have time over the next few days to do it, but im going to get some extra oil line fittings tomorrow and hopefully some type of intake tube.

So far things have been going smoothly, and the bill is only at $261. the flange is gonna cost around $150, and if I have to run a seperate oil system it will be around $85, estimated total of $496.

I went from work, to go work on the project, so I didnt have the camera, I really wish I did so you guys could see what im talking about.

Hopefully saturday or sunday I can post some pics.....

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 05:52 PM
some pics of what I got so far....

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbopic2006.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbopic2004.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbopic2002.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbopic2007.jpg

rcatvrider
04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn not even a rear shock, that's a straight up drag quad haha. Turbo looks sweet, can't wait to see the results.

nastyrider17
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
That looks great! I hope it works out good. All that turbo stuff is way to confusing for me.

clemsonteg
04-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by nastyrider17
That looks great! I hope it works out good. All that turbo stuff is way to confusing for me.

Turbos really aren't that complicated they just require research and time for the right setup. I have turboed a few cars, and own a few factory turbo cars which I made much faster (took a factory wrx with 165awhp and turned it into 400awhp tehe :D). Reading on sites like homemadeturbo.com, and other reputable sites to get good info.

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 08:03 PM
This is my custom made manual waste gate adjuster...lol.

For ease of boost control.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/turbopic2005.jpg

ds268
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Ah come on man, why go through all the work and skip on a boost controller and rig something like that? That does nothing to control boost and there's nothing adjustable about it. You can pick up a single stage controller for 20-40 bucks. Now how long do you think that little weld bead is going to hold? It needs to be connected to the pressure side and diaphram to regulate boost. Its just going to let back pressure through holding that valve open and never let boost to build but I'm sure you know that.

clemsonteg
04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
2 things about your boost controller.

1. You can build or even buy on ebay a ball valve boost controller for as little as $5-10.

2. The way you currently have it rigged the only thing its going to do is take forever to build boost. The way wastegate works is it stays closed until you you reach the wastegates preset pressure and then the arm moves opening the plate inside the turbo and releasing the gasses instead of sending them through the turbine. If you leave it open, even just a little bit, the gasses will go the path of least resistance and never spool the turbo enough to create good boost. I have seen wastegates that have even just a little bit of carbon built up on them that don't allow them to close all the way the create serious boost problems.

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 08:55 PM
lol, thats not a weld bead, its a screw and the plate has a slot on it....I know the pic kinda sucks.

I do have a actual waste gate controler, but it doesnt adjust to hold the waste gate all the way open, and I want to be able to see and control the boost manually for adjusting before actually conneting it to the carb.

This is just the very very begining, this is all mock up.

I do appreciate your concern.....any advice? other then already mentioned?

once its complete im going to make a better build detailed thread. with why and how I did things.

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Also, I want it to run on just enough boost to add more intake flow, so getting it to fully spool im not to concerned with.

I know its a only a 440 at best, and the turbo is for a 1.6 litre car,
I want it to stay fully open for the testing stage, then adjust it for like 1/4 more airflow then my carb pulls, measuring with a cheap air flow meter, after that I can adjust my wastegate actuator to match or possibly leave my custom job...lol.

Do you guys think that might work?

ds268
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
The turbo is only going to "push" air when it spools. If you keep that wastegate valve open and it never spools, it will be operating in the surge region and will only cause a restriction. That turbo has a turbine big enough you won't have to worry about boost buiding early or at all. You need to worry about building boost first then bleeding it off when needed. The way you have it set up now, it will never spool.

JMHO....

v0lcom13sn0w
04-05-2010, 12:26 AM
hey whats up i think if ur gonna spend the time to slap a turbo on it i'd do it the "right way" and take every step necessary to the fullest to gain the max boost out of the thing. i've turbo'd lots of civics and dont think that makes me a ricer i've built sh*t to 650whp on a 4 cylinder and basically what it comes down to is making sure you do everything correctly and not taking any shortcuts. im all for you puttin a turbo on ur 400 that would be way sick just take ur time and make sure youre doin it right bro haha good luck i wanna see a video posted of u stompin on some mad 450s or somethin haha

fishnfergie
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Just let him do what he wants he wont listen any way. You going to part that thing out when you hack it up and realize you got in over your head?

04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
That turbo is way too big for even 450cc IMO. Should have gotten the little T25 I see all the time on ebay, it will fit in your hand and it has like 2" inlet and outlet.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
Just let him do what he wants he wont listen any way. You going to part that thing out when you hack it up and realize you got in over your head?

Actually, yes, if the motor blows im going to part out the motor alone....maybe.

I didnt have to hack anything up, and the only mod to the actual quad, was the holes I drilled to mount the brackets, 3 in total, nothing is getting cut or takin off or welded to the atv, Im not even going to cut into the oil lines, and I do not have to mod my existing exhaust headers.

Every part of this mod is "basically" bolt on, and the only real fabrication is in the exhaust flange and mounting brackets, everything else just gets a screw, bolt, hose, etc.

I got a TON of 400ex parts, so even if I wanted to keep my motor, I could sell a few parts and by a rebuild kit.

I really want the cr500 motor but that will cost over $1000 just to get a running cr500 motor "in" the atv.

If the project fails completely, everything I have already has a buyer waiting in line, so im not to worried about it.

I did plan this out before I got into it...lol.

Im pretty sure as long as you mount the turbo, run oil, attatch to exhaust, then attatch to intake, you have a turbo.

Then all you do is adjust fuel and boost and you got mad power...lol....if you dont blow it up.

But then again, I could be wrong this is my first turbo project....lol.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
That turbo is way too big for even 450cc IMO. Should have gotten the little T25 I see all the time on ebay, it will fit in your hand and it has like 2" inlet and outlet.

Yeah I kinda agree, I had a hard time finding what the actual dimensions were for these things, when it first arrived I thought it was to big also.

They arent far off on pitch though, and this also has a 2in in and 2in outlet, so IDK?

But, I will see how well it spools, worst case I have to get the t25.

I already have one lined up, just have to find out if this one works or not.

04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
The ebay turbos are so confusing on what size they are and the name lol What about changing your timing? Just adding more fuel is half the equation. Really without fuel injection and a ECU to be programmed I would see it as being very rich at WOT before boost pressure. And since there isnt a regulated fuel pressure IDK what you would do to fix that. Good luck with it though

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2010, 09:09 PM
As far as fuel pressure, pep boys sells 2 different 12v universal fuel pumps for 40 bucks one has 3psi and the other 7psi.

They also have a fuel pressure regulator adjustable from 1psi to 10psi. I dont know if that will work but if my other options fail, Im gonna go with that setup.

One guy used boost pressure in the carb, using regular jet size, and when it went up in boost it also went up in fuel pressure, or so he said, he did this by pressurizing the bowl and carb vents and installing a regulator.

Im gonna try several different fuel methods till I get it close or almost perfect.

JOHNDOE83
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I dropped it off today to get the exhaust flange made, they told me it will be done tomorrow.!.!.

In a short time we will see how well its gonna work, Im still debating on wether or not to use my existing oil system, or use a seperate system.

My only concern with the existing oil system, is will it have enough pressure to make it to the turbo? and will it make the pump work harder?

I know that the existing pump is good enough to run a extra oil cooler, along with a bigger oil tank and more oil, so how many of you had your oil pump go bad?????

If I can use my existing oil pump, I can save $80 bucks.

If I use a seperate electric oil system, I dont have to worry about my pump breaking down while riding.

What do you guys think? Any oil pump experience out there?

Miami_Vice454
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
where did you get the exhaust flange made, as i know you live down here.

JOHNDOE83
04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Its at a place called hemlock transmission, here in west palm, they do custom fab, dyno testing, auto repair.

Really any exhaust place would do it, but they were close and cheap, so I went there.

They were gonna try to fit my flange in today, but they got tied up doing other things, so it wont be done till after monday, I dont blame them, if I had a choice to work on the $1200 trans job or a $120 exhaust flange, Id work on the trans to...lol.

JOHNDOE83
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Got the quad back today with the new exhaust flange, now I can actually start working on oil and tunnig.

This weekend I hope to actually test ride, we'll see how much I can get done?

Didnt have the camera with me, pic soon...

Miami_Vice454
04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
cant wait to see a pic of this

Pipeless416
04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
this is a cool idea, but it just seems like you're thinking its way simpler than it actually is.

Wheelie
04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
this is a cool idea, but it just seems like you're thinking its way simpler than it actually is.

X2

fishnfergie
04-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Any more progress, if you can call it progress (regress)?

JOHNDOE83
04-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Got alot done today!!!!

Got oil lines hooked up.
got oil tank and oil cooler hooked up.
got exhaust hooked up.

I got a small oil cooler from pep boys for 30 bucks, a small coolant tank for 10 bucks to use as a oil tank.

I even hooked a fan up to the oil cooler for extra cooling....

Now all I need is a oil pump, Im gonna use a electric fuel pump from pep boys as a oil pump.

Tommorow Im getting the tubing to connect it to the intake, then we can take it for a test ride and adjust fuel ratio's.

No camera today, pic's of progress soon.

Ive been moving into a new apartment and working alot so I havent had time to be online, But its looking good!!!

jcs003
04-24-2010, 04:05 AM
very cool. seems like your doing it very inexpensivly..

JOHNDOE83
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
COOL!!!

I got everything connected today!!!

The only problem Im having is the fuel ratio, everything works fine till 2/3 throttle and up then it starts popping and backfiring, still to lean.

I still have a 220 main jet, and I pressurized the carb vents, all that stuff helped ALOT, but now its still not getting enough gas on the top end....

I got stuff I have to go do for the rest of the day and still have no internet at my new apartment, ANYONE have any ideas on how I may be able to bump up the fuel ratio, I wont be able to reply right away and may take me a minute to get back online, but if you have any ideas feel free to throw them out there.

It is getting done very inexpensively, but I did go over my $500 mark....lol.

jcs003
04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
im just throwing this out there. but maybe raise the carb bowl float height. it may be draining the carb faster than it can refill.

Wheelie
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
im just throwing this out there. but maybe raise the carb bowl float height. it may be draining the carb faster than it can refill.

I don't think that's possible. I have to drill my own main jets and don't have any issues with the carb going dry.

John--Are you still running gravity feed? If so, get an electric fuel pump with a FMU type setup. It adds 1psi of fuel pressure per lb of boost.

fromtheside88
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Bro your totally gonna have to get some pics up when thats done

JOHNDOE83
04-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I don't think that's possible. I have to drill my own main jets and don't have any issues with the carb going dry.

John--Are you still running gravity feed? If so, get an electric fuel pump with a FMU type setup. It adds 1psi of fuel pressure per lb of boost.

Ya im actually gonna take the fuel pump I used as the oil pump, and use it with a fuel pressure regulator to pump the gas, hoping that will solve the gas problem.

Now, I have to get a actual oil pump anyway because the electric fuel pump just barley pumps the oil even using 5w-20.

Atleast I already have the fuel pump...lol.

JOHNDOE83
05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I got to play with the jetting today, Im not real sure whats going on?

I tried a 220 main jet and pressurized the carb vents, it will start and idle just fine, even run fine till about 1/2 throttle, it has the symptoms of being lean, so I drilled out a 180 main jet bigger then the 220, and it actually ran worse???

So I took a dynojet 165 and installed it and now I can get all the way to 3/4 throttle before it pops, backfire's and stalls...running slightly better?

Could I possiby need smaller jets? or is the pressure in the carb blowin the gas back into the tank?

If I de-pressurize the carb it will idle and start fine, but when reved it dies...with the pressure it will idle and rev without dieing up to 3/4 throttle????

ANY HELP GUY'S???? Think I should go with smaller jet's? I got some pics to load up to...later tonight.

jcs003
05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
maybe its your needle or needle seat that is not large enough. sounds like your mid throttle is dropping off.

jay80
05-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Now your just guessing. With boost it doesn't take much to pop a piston. I would get a wideband O2 to really see what your a/f ratio is.

Drilling out a 180 you have no idea what size it is. Hows the plug look?

JOHNDOE83
05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
The cam was bein funny? hope this work's?

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/th_urbo001.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/?action=view&current=urbo001.flv)

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/th_urbo002.jpg (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/?action=view&current=urbo002.flv)

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/urbo003.jpg

Just some quick pics of progress.

The intake tube is NOT staying that way....It is only like that for testing.

bert400
05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
good lord...looks ghetto rigged haha but if it all works thatll be saaweet! Good luck with it all man

JOHNDOE83
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL...yeah it's kinda rigged up at the moment...

I cant seem to get the jetting, air/fuel mix right?

it seem's as if it is running lean, the low to mid is ok, but anything past that it want's to stall???

Im going to try adjusting the needle right now! and if that doesnt help, what can I try next fella's?

it almost seemed to run better with less main jet, but then I try'd the 220 again and it didnt seem to effect it at all???

Give me some idea's if possible?

using a fuel pump over load's the carb and drains fuel into the turbo...

JOHNDOE83
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I adjusted the needle to the lowest notch and it ran a tad better, so I shimmed the needle with a washer, now I got most of my rpm's up to the top end area then it cut's out again...

so Im going to up the jetting on main from 220 to a 230ish drilled out jet and see what happen's.

Wheelie
05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Some information on jet drilling: Every .001 taken out of a Keihin jet equals a 2.5 increase in sizing--for instance a 230 has a .090 orifice, my 245 has a .096 orifice.

The center of the main jet is smooth at the .096-.098 mark.

What needle are you using?

JOHNDOE83
05-09-2010, 03:20 PM
My needle should be stock? this carb was jetted from the previous owner, with a 190/50 on the third clip...Dont know if he got a diff needle?

I got it running great till the last half of the rpm range, with the pressurized carb, needle shimmed, 195 main, 50 pilot, It gets up and goes fast! till that last half to third of the rpm range?

I can deffinetly feel the extra power with what its got now, it revs fast and hard then suddenly cut's out.

Im so close, it make's me mad as hell...lol. I need to go get more jet's I guess, anything over 195 seem's to big? I cant find my 190 at the moment, and have been trying not to use my dyno jet's.

Im so close.

JOHNDOE83
05-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I ordered some jets, 155,160,165,170,175,180....$28 shipped.

Im guessing the pressurized carb is making the topend rich?

I originally thought the topend was lean but with big jet's it runs worse? with the needle shimmed the whole low to midd range is great? but the topend still cuts out.?

I dont understand why the needle wouldnt be to rich, but the main is? I guess pressure cause's this?

flyjum
05-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds like as soon as it builds any psi it goes rich.

I turboed a 200s quad with a 200sx 6 speed atc engine/trans and rear end swaped on to it.

It made 3psi of boost. I ran a large diameter line to a custom made gas cap and boost the gas tank to 3 psi. I put a BOV in the line running to the gas tank and tapped in intake mainfold for vacum.
It looks like your turbo is pretty far back on the exhaust as well. Mine was right in the front if you can move it to the front that would be ideal. I had bad turbo lag tho it spooled at 6500 rpm(go kart tach).
It would sputter a bit if you stabed the gas hard but if you rolled it it would pull pretty good.

What you really need is a fuel pump that rises pressure as psi rises.

Someday I might put that old turbo on my hybrid see what it can do with 500cc instead of 200.

JOHNDOE83
05-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I have the old plug in there....ive been running it the past few weekends doing jetting, trying to get it dialed in.

I pulled the plug out and it looks like a normal decently jetted plug?

Im going to try a new plug and run it a few times, then check again.

ive tried from 160 to over 220 main jet sizes, shimmed the needle, 50 pilot, pressurized the carb and it still have a problem on top end? posting pic of the old plug soon...

CEREBRAL
05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I love this thread! I can't wait till you get that puppy going. I just love DIY and a good old fashioned "go for it" attitude.

Please post a video of that thing smokin' down a road or something when you get everything the way you want it.

Way to go, and good luck!

jcs003
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by CEREBRAL
I love this thread! I can't wait till you get that puppy going. I just love DIY and a good old fashioned "go for it" attitude.

Please post a video of that thing smokin' down a road or something when you get everything the way you want it.

Way to go, and good luck!

x2. i want to hear the turbo spool up for sure.

JOHNDOE83
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
right now it doesnt get to loud but you can deffinetly hear the whistle.

I think I need a air plenum?....to make it run right.

I may construct one over the weekend.....I may mount it where the battery usually mounts to.

Ive been wanting to either get rid of the battery all together or move it to the front, anyway....now I have an excuse...lol

fishnfergie
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I think you need a waste gate to make it run right...

JOHNDOE83
05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I think so also...if the air plenum doesnt solve the issue, i am going to put the waste gate back on and see what happens.

JOHNDOE83
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
This is what im trying to accomplish, the black ex was actually on this site at one time. Im going to upload vid of the way mine is running, so you guys can see whats going on? I just gotta make the time to go work on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6ULyLyuF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJdEm5F_Dgg&feature=related

I recently built the air plenum box like these guys have, hopefully it will solve my 1/2 to full throttle problem.

Claas900
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
how has this been going?

ds268
07-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Just like the rest of them...