PDA

View Full Version : Fuel flowing until gas tank is empty

HondaSkidoo
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Hello, I have a 2006 Sportsman 90 When my daughter was riding today it ran out of gas real fast. I filled it up and noticed fuel flowing right out the overflow tube on the carb. i tried to take the bowl off the carb and couldn't get it apart. Any tricks? Do you guys just think the float is stuck? I also turned the fuel valve off and it only shuts off the fuel about 90 %.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rich

djdfairchild
03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
i have them same problems with my sportman 90's. the carbs on them are junk. and the gas shut off won't shut off all the way. can you get the bolts out of the bowl. if you can get the bolts out. just tap on the bowl the gasket is probably stuck. the problem probably is a sticky float. i clean mine about every 2 months.

HondaSkidoo
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I did get the bolts out, but the bowl would not come off. I will try a bit more force.

Thanks

HondaSkidoo
03-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I still need help!
I took the carb off cleaned everything with Carb and Choke cleaner and the problem still persisits. I couldn't take the actual float off because of the pin but made sure the valve moved up and down freely.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

seabeebuggy
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Remove the float pull out the Seat and needle. Blow out all the holes in the carb. Insure the float is adjusted so it is able to close the fuel off when the bowl is full. Make sure the needle tip is defect free.

You never know if a small something like rubber form the fuel line or other gets into the needle seat keeping the needle from closing.

HondaSkidoo
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Hello, Thanks for the input. Do I have to knock out the pin holding the float with a punch? What actually closes the fuel? The little valve under the float that I can see? How do you adjust the Float? What exactly do I look for at the needle?

Thanks

seabeebuggy
03-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes use a small punch or a finish nail to push out the pin. Look to see if the needle has a rubber tip (Most do not) If it does , is the rubber broke? After you pull the needle out, use a small wrench to remove the seat ( the part the needle goes into) Blow it out with high pressure. both directions if you can. Use safety glasses to be sure gas does not blow into you eyes. as far as setting the float I would find that info from someone who has a book on that ATV. If you cant just put it back together and see what it does. if it leaks then pull the carb off again then bend the tab to the needle from the float to move the float down just a tad like 1/8'' it does not take but a little bit to move the float. then re try.

HondaSkidoo
03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Thanks seabeebuggy, I just tryed it and it seams to have worked!

:D

seabeebuggy
03-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Cool.