PDA

View Full Version : doin my values adjustment for 1st time got ?

sunco
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
ok. definately need a new plug. I'm good on that. I saw that i'm to align the index mark w. the punch mark so I'm at TDC. I did that. ok so I couldn't get any reading on my clearances. Then I read about aligning the timing chain up. Thats the arrow on the aluminum & the line cut into the gear on the left side of the motor. When I did that I got the clearance that I needed. I have an 07 w/ HRC kit . Why does one way work but not the other. Now do I have to remove the cam to ck the other two exhaust values under & behind the cam? I'll ck back. I gotta go get the plugs & few things at the auto parts store. thanx for any help u can offer.

Baileygunns
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Stick the feeler gauge in from the back to check the intake and stick it in from the front to check the exhaust. Sounds like your exhaust valves are tight if you can't get the feeler gauge in there. You'll have to take the cam carrier out to get under the shim buckets to see what size shims are in there. Then use a shim calculator to get close to where you need to be. Put it back together and recheck. If there still to tight, do it again.

Do you have a shim kit and a manual? That would make life easier.

sunco
03-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I have the shim kit. I got my info from the 07 manuel. Then a search here for values adjustments & copy the info on a step by step instruction that someone came up w/. Thats how I found out I could do it eitehr way.

http://webpages.shepherd.edu/ghott01/valveadjustment/valveadjustment.html

That what I'm working from

Baileygunns
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
That's a very good right up and I've read it in detail before doing my first vale adjustment on a 450R...

Thats how you found out I could do it either way? I don't understand what you mean.. Do what either way?

In this photo he is checking the exhaust valves. You would put the feeler in from the other side to check the intake valves.

http://webpages.shepherd.edu/ghott01/valveadjustment/27.jpg

MR4Engine202
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
No in that pic hes checking the intakes...the exhaust are under the rocker arm

Baileygunns
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Yup... You're right.

Wow, that was a brain cramp. I need to get off of third shift and back on a normal sleep schedule...

Sorry if I confused you further...

You don't have to move anything once you marks on the crank and on the cam gear are lined up. Keep spinning the crank till they both line up at the same time and the lobes on the cam are pointed back and slightly up. From there you can check both intake and exhaust at the same time...

The first time I did it I was confused... My old Raptor you checked the intake then spun the crank to check the exhaust. Not the case on the 450R.

Did that answer your question?

sunco
03-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Do it either way? Well when I lined up the marks on the right side Index & punch. I couldn't get the gauge under to get a reading. When I read further about how to do it - it said line the marks up by the timing chain side. I did that & could get my readings. I have it apart now. I have to get a gauge to measure the existing shims to I know what to replace them with as far as the correct size shim. I'm good for now. I just got distracted thow. My Motowoz shocks just showed up :devil: I'm so happy. Gotta get over there & put my quad back together. Headed to BPG saturday. Thanx man. Time all we need is Time

Bradracer18
03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Can someone point out, and explain the decompressor to me? I have a kicker (06) and have been told to check the psi on it (set it to 60psi I believe). How is this done?

Sjorge450R
03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
what i circled is the decompressor I would need to look at the service manual again to see how to adjust it. I forget, its been a while.

MR4Engine202
03-24-2010, 03:25 PM
"Do it either way? Well when I lined up the marks on the right side Index & punch. I couldn't get the gauge under to get a reading. When I read further about how to do it - it said line the marks up by the timing chain side. I did that & could get my readings. I have it apart now. I have to get a gauge to measure the existing shims to I know what to replace them with as far as the correct size shim. I'm good for now. I just got distracted thow. My Motowoz shocks"

thats because it was tdc on the exhaust stroke

nskukalek79
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't mean to steal this thread but...i thought the decompressor can be competely removed. i'm in the middle of a rebuild and changed my cam and left the decompressor off. Do i have to put it back on? i thought it would just be a little harder to start without it.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks

Sjorge450R
03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
i dont think it will start without the decompressor.....

nskukalek79
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
ok thanks...i just put it on the new cam