PDA

View Full Version : 85 LT trans KICKIN MY @$$

woodsracer144
03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
ok so i have this 85 lt i picked up, and it doesnt like shifing! i tore it apart about 3 times now... i have all the washers and all that there... it doesnt like to shift when i have to tighten down the 4 screws that hold down the shifting drum... i dont know what the hell is going on... if i leave them loose the shift all the gears, if i tighten them down it goes from 1st to N then to first and thats all... any ideas?! i need toget this thing going.. i really wanna ride...

jerkin
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I had that same exact thing happen to me on my 86 lt250 but I'm going back 20 years and my memory isn't what it was, lol. It was the first time I ever split a set of cases and it drove me crazy but I only had 1st and neutral.

I remember that I was putting something on backwards but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. It seems that it was around the shift drum. Take a look at the shift cam (the thing with the springs and pawls) or that star piece on the end of the shift drum and see if one of those can't go in the other way. I'll bet if I was looking at it I would remember, drove me crazy until I figured it out. I know for sure that it was something in that general area that I put in backwards.

woodsracer144
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jerkin
I had that same exact thing happen to me on my 86 lt250 but I'm going back 20 years and my memory isn't what it was, lol. It was the first time I ever split a set of cases and it drove me crazy but I only had 1st and neutral.

I remember that I was putting something on backwards but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. It seems that it was around the shift drum. Take a look at the shift cam (the thing with the springs and pawls) or that star piece on the end of the shift drum and see if one of those can't go in the other way. I'll bet if I was looking at it I would remember, drove me crazy until I figured it out. I know for sure that it was something in that general area that I put in backwards.

thanks! i was hopin i dint have to split the cases AGAIN but i'll do it and see

jerkin
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I called my buddy that was helping me at that time and he doesn't remember what it was either. He remembered about the same thing as me, everything worked until you tightened the cases and then I only had neutral and 1st, same problem as you.

I even pulled my old manual out and leafed through it but nothing jumped out at me. I keep thinking about that star piece on the end of the shift drum though. I want to say that's what was on backwards but I can't say for sure, try it the other way and see if it works.

DWR270
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Did you replace any of the transmission bearings? Or if one came out of the cases make sure that it went in exactly as it came out. One of the bearings for gear shafts actually is offset with the center race being thicker on one side.

woodsracer144
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DWR270
Did you replace any of the transmission bearings? Or if one came out of the cases make sure that it went in exactly as it came out. One of the bearings for gear shafts actually is offset with the center race being thicker on one side.

nope never touched any of the bearings, just split the cases did some work to them and then put it back together...

DWR270
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Then you possibly have a bearing that tried to come out and is not fully seated.

If you loosen the clutch the center clutch hub does it shift?

woodsracer144
03-24-2010, 03:20 PM
if the shift drum is loose it will shift fine, if its not loose it goes from one gear to the next(if its in n when you tighten them it goes from 1st to n. if its in 3rd it goes from 3rd to 4th) so the drum is getting bound up in there...

DWR270
03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Two more things to check.

Make sure washer is between shift star and drum.

Also see if the shift detent arm did not get bent when the drum was put back into case.

As a tip always try to put cases back together with transmission in neutral.

woodsracer144
03-24-2010, 08:59 PM
how do i know when its in N?

DWR270
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
you will be able to spin both the main and counter shaft freely. Also looking at the shift star neutral will be almost on one one of the points and not one of the valleys.

woodsracer144
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
you will be able to spin both the main and counter shaft freely. Also looking at the shift star neutral will be almost on one one of the points and not one of the valleys.

does it sit on top of the star or is it on the star that has a little "dish" in it?

DWR270
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
the actual star has the dish. The roller on your detent arm will rest in it when in neutral. Also double check the pin in the shift drum that turns the star didn't fall out.

woodsracer144
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
the actual star has the dish. The roller on your detent arm will rest in it when in neutral. Also double check the pin in the shift drum that turns the star didn't fall out.

nope star is there... just think that something stupid is wrong,