PDA

View Full Version : LT80 Help

surveywaters
03-21-2010, 01:48 PM
On my LT80 I just rebuilt the top end, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the reed valves. Now it started right up, I took it down the road and back at a leisurely pace and when I got back to the shop the idle started to become irregular. If I rev'd it the motor would stay rev'd for too long then go down below idle speed. Finally it cut off. I removed the plug (which was hot as fire!) and it shows signs of running hot and lean. What's goin on?

surveywaters
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
when it cooled off I was able to start it again. Then after putting around the yard for 5 minutes it cut off and it won't crank. Probably gonna start again when it's cooled. I pulled the carb and looked over everything, it all seems fine, all jets and air passages are clear. I pulled the reed cage, it looks good. I replaced the spark plug with a new one. What else can I try?!?!

When I got the new rings I put them in a slid them to the bottom with the piston. I checked the end gap there at these least worn section of cylinder, it was 0.009. That looked good according to the manual.

surveywaters
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
okay!

I just did a compression test......It is at 60psi!!!!!!!
It is holding 60 so I assume my seals are good, what the heck did I do wrong on the ring job?!? The cylinder was smooth and in tolerance, the piston was in good shape, this is an '87 lt80 but it has pretty low hours on it. Am I doing the compression test right?

Is there a forum with active members who are familiar with the LT80 anyone can recomend??