PDA

View Full Version : will any other shocks fit?

number12
03-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Good morning fellow Raptor junkies,
As mentioned before, I am really new to this bike. I like it a lot but I have been thinking about shocks. I know that a good suspension costs a lot and I am looking to improve but on a budget. Do you kow if any other shock will fit this bike that is a better shock without the $1000 each price tag? I put some +3, +1 a arms on it and it helped a lot but I can tell that some shocks would really help him out on clearing some jumps, etc. Can the stock ones be rebuilt to help?

Thanks

Quaddad77
03-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I got +4 Jd long travels on mine with stock yfz shocks up front i just put a raptor 660 rear shock on the back the one with the remote res. its a little shorter than the stock one but we just welded another mount in front of the stock mount on the swingarm.

QuadJunkies
03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Keep your eyes open for people parting out there 250's then you can pick up a pair for less. Also if you race, maybe you could get some kind of rider support possibly from a suspension company you are leaning towards ?
One thing to always keep in mind is the motion ratio ...

Good luck to you !

scrappy3
03-25-2010, 07:49 PM
The September 09 issue of Dirtwheels has a Raptor 250 with +2 long travel a-arms running Honda 450r front shocks.

Quaddad77
03-25-2010, 09:04 PM
yes i tried the honda shocks they dont even come close to working. Way to stiff i weigh 270lbs and i couldn't compress the front end. It also had about 13in of ground clearance. The only way I think the honda shocks would work is if they were revalved and with alot softer spring.I read the same article and that is way i bought the jd a-arm.

scrappy3
03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Did you us the 04/05 or 06 and up shock? I know the 04/05 have a softer spring on them.

Quaddad77
03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
05 I was not happy when I put the shock on.And I know the honda shocks are fine I just took them off my bike.I still use them for back up shocks for my 450 when my Ishocks are broke.But that's another story, stay away from Ishocks. Luckly a buddy of mine had the YFZ shocks I couldn't believe how well they worked.

number12
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think that all of the posts above are referencing "long travel" a arms. The ones I have are 3 inches wider and 1 inch forward but they use the stock shock. Do you know of a shock the same dimensions as the stock ones that would be better? I just can't put up the money for Elkas or something right now.

hwf-racing
04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by number12
Good morning fellow Raptor junkies,
As mentioned before, I am really new to this bike. I like it a lot but I have been thinking about shocks. I know that a good suspension costs a lot and I am looking to improve but on a budget. Do you kow if any other shock will fit this bike that is a better shock without the $1000 each price tag? I put some +3, +1 a arms on it and it helped a lot but I can tell that some shocks would really help him out on clearing some jumps, etc. Can the stock ones be rebuilt to help?

Thanks Whose arms did you run that accepts the stock shock? Also did it create more ground clearence? Is the suspension able to relax. I'm trying to find out how I can get the wider stance without spending all the money for the shocks at this time. Thanks, Derek

Quaddad77
04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
HWF we will be at Dade city on saturday and my daughter will be racing you can come over and look at what we did on her bike. I should be parked in the same place as last week. I spoke with u and your wife last race day.

number12
04-06-2010, 05:13 AM
I used the American Star a-arms. I really like them. At the time, I could not have spent another dime on shocks but they do offer long travel a-arms that will accept shocks form a 450r honda or FYZ 450...i believe. I did not measure before and after but I did not notice any change in height.

flyboy1294
05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Quaddad77
I got +4 Jd long travels on mine with stock yfz shocks up front i just put a raptor 660 rear shock on the back the one with the remote res. its a little shorter than the stock one but we just welded another mount in front of the stock mount on the swingarm.

I am interested about these YFZ shocks.

Did the shocks require any modification? And how do you use them? (Mx, trail riding, etc).

And are they the correct length for the long travel arms?

Thanks man.

Quaddad77
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I didn't have to adjust them at all. I took them right off the yfz and put them on the raptor. We ended up with about a 7 1/2 in ride height. We race MX but they way they feel i think they would work for just about any kind of riding. As far as length no too sure it's been awhile since we put them on i know they have plenty of travel and the shock doesn't run out of stroke before the a arms do. I watch some of the kids at the track with elka's and pep's on their bikes and i think ours work just as good if not better. They just put dome doubles in at the track we ride on and a couple of them she is flat landing between them and it just soaks it up.

flyboy1294
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Quaddad77
I didn't have to adjust them at all. I took them right off the yfz and put them on the raptor. We ended up with about a 7 1/2 in ride height. We race MX but they way they feel i think they would work for just about any kind of riding. As far as length no too sure it's been awhile since we put them on i know they have plenty of travel and the shock doesn't run out of stroke before the a arms do. I watch some of the kids at the track with elka's and pep's on their bikes and i think ours work just as good if not better. They just put dome doubles in at the track we ride on and a couple of them she is flat landing between them and it just soaks it up.

Awesome, I think we are going to give it a shot. Do you have any pictures by chance?