PDA

View Full Version : crank case completely worn out??

88dunerider
03-20-2010, 09:05 PM
hey guys , so connecting rod seized in the R last week so went ahead and got the whole bottom end rebuild kit , new crank and stuff . took it into the local bike shop ( only one close for 100 miles)and they split the cases and i get a call saying that it looks like the bearing seats are worn out and that the bearing just falls into place doesnt have to be tapped or pressed and they say i need i new cases or they can lock tight the new bearings in there ??? never heard of lock tight being used for bearings but what gets me is that they dont even have the new bearings yet to even see if they will fit snug in there or not . isnt possible the old 22 years old to be exact bearings are just worn down and thats why they just fall into place??? what do you guys think

Rich250RRacer
03-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 88dunerider
hey guys , so connecting rod seized in the R last week so went ahead and got the whole bottom end rebuild kit , new crank and stuff . took it into the local bike shop ( only one close for 100 miles)and they split the cases and i get a call saying that it looks like the bearing seats are worn out and that the bearing just falls into place doesnt have to be tapped or pressed and they say i need i new cases or they can lock tight the new bearings in there ??? never heard of lock tight being used for bearings but what gets me is that they dont even have the new bearings yet to even see if they will fit snug in there or not . isnt possible the old 22 years old to be exact bearings are just worn down and thats why they just fall into place??? what do you guys think

I've seen this more than once. In fact I had a set that the bearing bore was worn out on both halves. New bearings will fit just as loose as your originals. You can peen the bearing bore, but that's not going to hold very well. You can use the green Loctite, I believe it's called sleeve retainer. It's made just for this type of application and will fill voids up to .005. Or you can replace the cases.

88dunerider
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
well unfortunanlty i dont have the money to replace the cases , they said they were gonna do there loctite thing and said it should hold up for atleast a year and i only ride in sand so its not like i ride it a bunch just mostly in the summer so im hoping they will be able to hold for atleast another year

rustyATV
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Mine got loose some time ago. When you do have the cash, get a set of '86 cases off of servicehonda.com. The '86s come with all the bearings and seals in them, ready to go. The later ones do not. They'll set you back about $500+, but will be good for another couple of decades.

Keep an eye on that crank where it rides on the mains. Mine wore out there as well last year.