PDA

View Full Version : nosing over on jumps

spdyracer
03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
need some help with setting up my 04 dvx. all stock suspension, the springs are all setup on the softest settings front and back. the rebound on the rear is setup on stock 16 click setting and the comp. is setup on the softest setting. on jumps the bike is wanting to nose down. what can i do to help this. will softening the rebound help this? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

fearlessfred
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
first thing u want to do is get the correct sag in the rear shock with u sitting on the bike with all your riding gear on u want to use 1/3 of your travel so if u had 12 inchs of travel u would have 4inchs in sag do this before play with any ajustments have some one pull up onthe grab bar and so the shock is fully extended then measure from a point on the frame [i use the bolt on the grab bar mount] to the ground or maybe the top of the axle then do the same with u sitting on the bike the differance is the sag

jefteland
03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
burp throtle when leaving jump will also help, correct sag will also help.

spdyracer
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
burping the throttle is one thing i have started doing which has helped but i would like to get it setup where it has a better feel coming off jumps. once i get the sag right what else should i look at doing to help

fearlessfred
03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
how much do weigh with gear on

spdyracer
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
with gear i weigh 206. just measured from the flag post mount and fully extended up is 33 3/4 inches. with me sitting on it 29 1/2 inches. how can i figure how much travel the shock has to see if I'm at 1/3rd sag?

jonboy
03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Your rebound adjustment is to high on your rear shock and it is kipping you up in the rear off the jump. Take the rebound adjustment down try a few jumps and adjust til it levels out.

spdyracer
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
jonboy, rebound to high do you mean too stiff? are you saying i should soften it up some?

fearlessfred
03-20-2010, 10:36 PM
im guessing is around 10 inchs so 3.5 would be a good starting point . if u have to tighten the spring a hole bunch to get the sag right u need a heavyer spring [ the ultimate spring would be one that u just snug down and the sag is correct] once u have the sag then u need figure out if the rear is bottoming on the face of the jump if it is then the tires and axle become a spring and they have no rebound damping so it sends the back of the bike up and the front down more rebound dampening in the shock will not help controling the bottom out will some one can watch the bike or put a dab of grease on the bumpstop and look at that after hitting the jump and seeing if the grease spread on the bottom of shock this is genaral imformation for set up on any bike there are plenty of guys on this site that could be more helpfull than i because they have experance on your bike

jefteland
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
i think he means slow your rebound down a bit. before you go off a jump your suspension compresses. if you rebound is to fast it will buck. wanting to make the frt nose down due to the rear bucks off the jump. but keep in mind that to slow of rebound will cause it to pack in stutter or whoop section. play with it. when you change shock settings (comp. & rebound) don't do little changes. what i mean is 1 or 2 clicks. you want to do 3-4 clicks so you can feel the change. check out fox racing shox or elkas tech section. the more you read and try on your own suspension is a blast to learn. let us know what you find out.

jonboy
03-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Bingo! It is too fast. Your shock has a compression valve and rebound valve. Each controls the rate at which the nitrogen accumulated oil flows through the shock for compression rate (how fast or easy it is to push the quad down) and rebound rate (how fast it comes back up after you push it down) You will have to run trial and error runs to dial it in. Once you figure out how each operates after your adjustments, the faster you will get at dialing it in. Your owners manual should give directions on how to adjust it.