PDA

View Full Version : timing

sloppyjo
03-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I got a 400 a couple days ago and i found out im better at working on cars then quads, this forum has been helping alot but i got a ? of my own.
tore the head down to fix some broke cover bolts and cant get the timing right. with the t mark on the flywheel lined up with the mark on the left side case( found the hole from u guys... thanks again) my cam sprocket lines dont like up with the jug after i put the chain tenshener( cant spell it right) back on the chain, it rolls the cam back to take up the slack like its soposed to....tryed moving the chain up a tooth and that makes the back of the cam sprocket too high.
didnt c the decomperson pin or spring but i have the decompressn cam. could that be the problem? could i have jumped a tooth on my crank sprocket, i did have the chian a lil stuck when i pulled it to put the cam sprocket back on. had to give it a tug to get it free. HELP I WANT TO RIDE THE DAM THING, only got to ride it once before i "fixed" it

honda400ex2003
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
if it is all lined up with the tensioner off then you should be good to go. I would start it and see how it does if the rest of it is together correctly. It should not matter if the chain jumped a tooth on the bottom as long as it is lined up. Welcome to the site, i hope i helped you out a bit. steve