PDA

View Full Version : Cool Head questions

justin.hughes
03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
My 88 is stock other than fmf exhaust and k&n w/lid removed. The top end was rebuilt less than 10 hrs ago by the previous owner. I am wanting to know what cool head to go with and what dome size. I know nothing about them. I do not want to run race gas. Just looking for something to add some more power to basically a stock bike. I will be adding a new reed cage and valve as well.

justin.hughes
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
does ESR sell a cool head or should I go with pro design?

TLR-Online
03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
This is just my opinion.

Aftermarket heads are not just a "bolt on" per say. You have to take into account a lot of things before you can figure out the correct dome, you will most likely have to run premium if not 100 octane or more. If you want to save your self a headache and money, stick with the stock head unless a professional is setting it up. Even then, i dont think a aftermarket head will give you the additional power you are after.

Maybe you could spend the money somewhere else, like suspension or freshening up bearings or older parts to make the bike ride as best as possible.

justin.hughes
03-22-2010, 04:38 AM
thanks for the replys. Will a 36mm carb bolt right up? I may just do this for hp increase.

TLR-Online
03-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by justin.hughes
thanks for the replys. Will a 36mm carb bolt right up? I may just do this for hp increase.

Yes it will bolt right up. You will just have to spend a good amount of time getting the jetting perfect.

justin.hughes
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
thanks. do they use the same type of jets as the 34mm? I just ordered a bunch of mains and pilot jets. My concern was that I am using the stock airbox so I wanted to make sure the carb would bolt up to it.

TLR-Online
03-22-2010, 08:27 AM
It should use the same jets as long as you get keihin.

You may have to stretch the intake boot some, but it will work.