PDA

View Full Version : It Lives!

CJM
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Im so happy right now I could cry.

2 years ago I bought my 400ex for 1000 off some kid who obviously didnt know wtf he was doing. I being the naive idiot I was, was to excited I found one for cheap and bought it.

It ran ok, but was LOUD and the steering stem was bent. But thats the least of its issues. I rode it for that summer then parked it to fix it up, finally had some extra cash to do it.

-It would bog down under WOT and later it refused to run basically, it did run but really, really bad so i parked it.

-Steering stem was bent really bad

-I found out recently the brakes which I finally got to were locked up on one side and the rear calipers shot. I got all new ones thru ebay and stainless lines all done up.

-Steering stem mount I messed up-let it be known even tho its dirty and you cant see it-a snap rings in there. Got a new stem mount welded up.

-Has these horrible offset rear tires, I just ordered some kenda klaws on douglass A5 (fyi quadrocks are discontinued btw cause that was my first choice)

-Painted the plastics with krylon fusion, turned out ok but im buying new ones.

-Needed an exhaust cause the idiot drilled holes in the muffler and causes leaks. I bought a lexx and love it! Quiet but powerfull

-Swapped to the larger busa battery, well worth it! It cranks over so easy now!

-Swapped to 450R front shocks, omg compared to the stockers it handles like its on rails.

Overall I still need to:
-Tune the carb more, I gave up ill pay to have someone do it. Idle willnot adjust anymore.
-Get the new rear tires on when they come
-Change out the bars
-New plastics
-Nerfs

Im just so happy now cause it runs tho.

ian0615
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
i know how you feel, mine kinda had a similar story, oh the POS ran and drove when i went to look at it, but when i got the mother home it took a week and a bit of cash to get it right, now she purrs like a lil baby kitten! and i dont like kittens so i spent more mone to really make it rip! and then the wife was upset and the................you know how it goes..i am happy for ya

ian0615
03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
oh hey man, how did that Krylon Fusion hold up on the plastic...i am to cheap to buy new right now, was curious how it worked out and holds up

CJM
03-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by ian0615
oh hey man, how did that Krylon Fusion hold up on the plastic...i am to cheap to buy new right now, was curious how it worked out and holds up

I havent ridden with it really besides in my yard. So I cant comment on how it will hold up. I can say I was able to clearly scratch the plastic and you can see it by me just handling and throwing about rhe plastic in my garage.

The paint actually BONDS to the plastic, in several areas it ran and you can clearly see it. The only panels I thought turned out good were the side panels that are black, rest are so so-better than they are but not like new.

Maybe if mine were in better shape, I dont know if it woulda helped. I sanded them down with 600grit paper to make sure the paint would adhere. However my plastics were BEAT up, scratched and just overall junk

honda400ex2003
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Congrats on getting it fixed up dude. bummer on the quadroks. I didnt know they were discontinued. do you have any pics of it before and after? steve

CJM
03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
Congrats on getting it fixed up dude. bummer on the quadroks. I didnt know they were discontinued. do you have any pics of it before and after? steve

No pics sadly. Not that it matters much as it wasnt to pretty and its still not done. Right now only the back plastics are on anyways.

Ill be sure to take some when its done.

As for the quadrocks, guy at magic racing called me and said they were and they were supposed to be off the site. I checked douglass website and they arent listed, rocky mtn still has them on the site but I think its wrong probably.

A-5 looks quite similar its just highly polished it seems.

honda400ex2003
03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
good to know. i better not mess up any of mine then lol. steve