PDA

View Full Version : engine temp

qcitytile
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Is there a desired temp to try to stay close or under in a lc motor. Im trying to monitor the motor because were new to the lc motors dont want to overheat. Thanks

Logan #34's Dad
03-21-2010, 08:29 AM
I know there is a desired operating temp but I don't know for sure what it is. However, I believe the current system will keep you in the ballpark. Since there is no thermostat, you get what you get. Engine Ice is supposed to get the temp down.
One thing I did was: went to Lowes and got some clear hose and put that hose from the radiator to the waterpump. This way I can see for sure that the waterpump is flowing the water. The impellers have and do fail and when they do, you'll never know untill it's too late. Just my 2 cents.

03-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Well I dont like to see 180. If it stays under this im happy but this is my opinion. 212 is boiling so thats is way to hot. Hope this helps you out.

qcitytile
03-21-2010, 10:01 AM
what coolant do you guys use. I got one of them temp. labels on the radiator and it got to 200. I thought this was a little hot. I used 75% distilled water and 25% water weter.

Logans dad do I need high temp hose or just the regular clear hose they have??

Thanks guys

03-21-2010, 10:03 AM
We also run the clear hoses to Joe. I got mine at the local hardware it just has to have the nylon cords in it to keep it together and from swelling.

qcitytile
03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
ok should be easy enough to find. Hopefully what coolant do you use. Thanks

03-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Well when I started I used 50/50 antifreeze. Now thinking real hard about Engine Ice. That keeps it cooler, cooler motor means more performance.

Logan #34's Dad
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I was a water wetter user but I'm unsure if it cools. I know it lubricates though. We had to run that in our race sportbikes cause if Antifreeze got on the blacktop it would make for a slippery patch for awhile.
Engine Ice for me with some antifreeze.
As far as the hose, Lowes sells it by the foot. It is clear with Nylon weaving through it. After about one season, you should replace it. It gets a lil stiff after all the heat cycles.

qcitytile
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your time guys. I will try these idea's soon as the snow melts. I can't believe we went from 65 to snow the next morning lol

xcracer01
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
We run XC stuff and most of the time we stay around 180 but we have seen 210 before. It is hard to keep these little bikes cool if you have to labor them in the tight woods with no wind some times.