PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke help

lawmaster891
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM
well this isnt exactly a quad. my roomate brought his dirtbike here so he could ride with us. its an 89 yz250. he brought it here with the topend all tore apart because he needed a new piston. we got the piston and honed his cylinder, got it all back together and now cant get it to start. we are getting plenty of compression, spark and fuel just no start. we have tried kicking it over and gave it a push start and nothing. i dont know much about 2 strokes because i have only worked on 4 strokes but i did notice he had no reed valves. every 2 stroke i have seen has had had reed valves. he told me it never had reed valves on it. also i have done some research and heard that the power valve might be the problem. this is difficult for me since i didnt see it get taken apart. if anyones has any ideas or help it wold greatly be appreciated. were always looking for more ppl to ride with since theirs not very many ppl to ride with by my college.

fearlessfred
03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
if theres no reeds than thats why it doesnt run years ago there were rotor valves but im pretty sure that the modern day two stroke has reeds

stevo3176
03-20-2010, 12:38 PM
It had reeds check bikebandit for picture of the set up.

lawmaster891
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM
well we ordered reeds of ebay today so we will see. hopefully she fires up

fearlessfred
03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
did it have the reed cage on it . but no reeds on the cage or did u have to order the reeds with the cage just asking so u dont get a set of reeds with no cage to put them on

lawmaster891
03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
i ordered the cage with reeds. $20 shipped on ebay, cant beat that

PaRedneckRiders
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
ya my guess would deff b the reeds but them in and it should fire up but if it trys to start try and pop start it
thats what i had to do with my cr500 after we rebuilt it, prob for to reasons 1 becasue it was a 500 and 2 because it was like 30 degrees outside when we ere doing it