PDA

View Full Version : Crank rebuild cost?

IcutMetl
03-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Took my stator cover off to polish it and install my lightened flywheel; noticed my crankshaft had some play in it. It's probably been like that since I've bought it, but I'd hate to see something grenade and take out my still-in-good-condition cases. I had hoped the next time I ripped into it would be to bore the cases and build a wicked powervalve stroker, but that's not in the cards right now.

How much does a crank rebuild with new rod kit and bearings typically cost?

I can find a Wiseco complete kit for $200-$250, and a Hot Rod for the same w/o bearings, gaskets, and seals. I've read all the mixed reviews about aftermarket vs OEM and understand the supposed risk. I do have a spare OEM long rod crank with bearings from a spare engine I parted out, but I don't trust it anymore than mine.

My current top end doesn't have many hours on it; I'll probably just throw a quick hone down it and use it all over again-maybe find a cool-head at a good deal and get the compression up a bit more than it already is at 195+/-. Replace all bearings, seals, reeds, and inspect the transmission gears. Perhaps finally replace that FMF with a TRX-5 and take the plunge to a CR ignition??

atv fan 28
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
before i bought my POS Wiseco crank, Tim at Titan Racing http://www.titanracinginc.com/ quoted me a price of around 175$, thats with a new rod.

86 Quad R
03-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
before i bought my POS Wiseco crank, Tim at Titan Racing http://www.titanracinginc.com/ quoted me a price of around 175$, thats with a new rod.

X's 2 quality builds. :cool:

IcutMetl
03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys; I appreciate the help.

Fear250r
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Definitely don't bother with the Wiseco crank. I paid 70 to have have mine rebuilt not including the rod.

Aceman
03-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I had my short rod crank rebuilt with a Pro-X rod kit from Crankworks in AZ for about $180. No problems yet but I only have about 24 hrs on it. Next time I'll spend a little more and get it trued/welded also for a little more piece of mind.

addictedtomud
03-20-2010, 09:27 PM
GT Thunder just did one for me at $175. I sent them the old crank, they sent it back with new rod installed and ready to go.