PDA

View Full Version : Jetting with dynojet. Gas smell in oil.

Built_300EX
03-19-2010, 06:19 PM
What sizes and needle notch should I put mine on?
I just ordered a dyno jet kit. Im not sure just yet on what it has in it yet, checking that very shortly. Once I do, i'll update.

Runs great, just getting some glow problems. Everyone said that is ok though. So past that, I have gas smell in my oil.

Is it the needle causing this? I know something with that carb is going on. Has good torque, starts fast, doesnt smoke...just curious on what is causing this? Also remember to fill me in on what size jetting and such I should put in the carb.

T4 full exhaust, moded air box lid, k&n airfilter with K&n pre cover.

I'd say they would have had to rejet it for it to hit like it does...I dunno though. Anyway, get back to me soon. Want to go ahead and start cleaning and getting it reinstalled tonight if possible.

Thanks,

Built_300EX
03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, sleeping soon before that..

Getting ready to break into the carb, notice that the right back rocker cover I believe is leaking some oil. Not certain but I do believe so. It was discolored around that area.

Another thing, the wall is slick as can be. Has it been port/polished? Or are the carb intake location on the jugs smooth from factory?

The jetting in my carb is 38 pilot, 185 main. Looks like CD, CF, or D even, cant see it completely, something like that is on the jets.

Checking the needle and such tomorrow once the jets arrive...or does UPS run on Saturday? Anyways, as soon as I get my dyno jet kit ill be redoing it. Any ideas?

Update me soon please on the jetting/and or needle notch. Also main concern is getting this oil gas free. For some reason its getting into my bottom end, after just a small ride today. The quad has tons of compression, fires right up, runs fine. Anyone?

clemsonteg
03-19-2010, 10:37 PM
if you are going to do a dynojet kit read this http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q107.pdf

That will get you close, check out a website online to find out your altitude, and you can fine tune from there.

Built_300EX
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the note on the dyno jetting. That helps with it all.

Any idea on the gas in the oil?

clemsonteg
03-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Well if it really is a 185 jet for the main with just an exhaust I would think its running really really rich, as in pouring gas into the cylinder it can't burn and that can cause it to get past the rings and into the oil.

Built_300EX
03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Would too much gas cause it to run crappy? It hits man, fast. It's a nice running quad. Basically instant throttle response.

Loading up the cylinder should cause to to miss and such right?

Built_300EX
03-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Hopefully someone can update me. This really isn't making sense.

Runs great, gas in oil. 185 main, red glowing headers. (bright red in the dark) 3-4 minutes of idle. Carb looks to be clean from what i've went into it with. Held the float up and blew into the hose, stopped me from blowing through it, let it down, and can hear the air coming through.

Bought a carb rebuild kit, going to try and replace a tiny oring gasket in the carb near the needle. Heard that could cause it but....extra gas dumping in would cause a fall off correct? This quad doesnt hesitate? Please help. The kit should be in by this weekend. Got the new dynojet kit on the way.

trx400Rider
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I would put a 165 or a 170 main jet it in. You only have an exhaust and open air box...

gtt416ex
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
i don't know how the carb would be the reason you're getting gas in your oil, oil doesn't come anywhere near the carb:confused:

Buscg1
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
If it runs good I would go with it. Change your oil and run it, and see if it develops a gas smell again. Could have been rolled or tipped over before which could cause some fuel to get into the intake and possibly if enough get passed the rings. You never know. I would change the oil and run it and re check.