PDA

View Full Version : Trx250r Gncc

atvmx_freak08
03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Recently traded for a 1987 250r and was thinking about maybe selling it or tradind for a 450 but i might decide to keep it and do some GNCC racing locally, can't make up my mind! I was wondering what wheel and tire sizes are mostly used for GNCC? Right now it has 8 in wheels on the back and it's pretty low and drags on almost everything in the woods around the house. I know i will need an oversized gas tank to do any serious racing but are there any other mods anyone would suggest? Thanks for the help.

Jonny B
03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I like to run 22 front and 20 rear on the rubber. Also a steering stabilizer is a great thing if you dont allready have one.

Derrick Adams
03-19-2010, 05:58 PM
I'd probably pull those nerfs off too. Make sure you have good air filter protection as well.

skyeryder
03-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Personal preference on tire size I run 21's frt and 20's rear, full frt fenders, handguards with wrap arounds, and like you said a tank

quadfmx
03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
i like pegs w/ heel guards rath are good as well as ims
oversized tank a must, tires mentioned are good reccomendations depending on track

tire balls would be a plus and some sort of bark busters,

justin.hughes
03-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I run itp gncc tires. they are really nice.

rustyATV
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
From the front motor mount, it looks like an '86

Are those +2 a-arms?

22" fronts will give a bit smoother ride and get over obstacles more easily, while 21" fronts will give you a quicker responding front end. If you're new to XC racing, I'd say a 22" front to keep from beating you up.

Rears are normally 20X10X9.

A steering damper would be a great investment.

If you're a novice XC rider, you may want to omit the nerf bars so you can get off trees more quickly. I run a set on mine when I moved up and quit getting stuck on things as often.

A Pro-Tect stainless steel skid plate for the swing arm is a good idea. So is some kind of aluminum plate for the frame.

A set of Oury grips (will have to go to a mountain bike shop to get them) are great for longer rides. They're soft, grippy, and larger so you don't cramp your fingers as much holding on.

A low-end pipe will make a world of difference, if the one you have isn't. You might also consider an OEM pipe as they're pretty smooth. This will keep you from fighting the motor while you dodge trees.

Get those shocks revalved and resprung soft for woods racing; MX springs are quite harsh.

muddymess
03-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I actually prefer to have the nerf bars on mine. It keeps the rear tires from catching on trees on the tight sections and bringing me to a sudden stop. Iv never had any issues with them catching on trees.

rustyATV
03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by muddymess
I actually prefer to have the nerf bars on mine. It keeps the rear tires from catching on trees on the tight sections and bringing me to a sudden stop. Iv never had any issues with them catching on trees.

By "Get off trees", I meant by putting your feet on the ground and pulling the handlebars to roll the quad back while still on the seat after you've run headlong into a tree, rather than getting off and having to tug on the quad.

Of course, I'm 6'2" and the 250R leaves a good bit of clearance when I stand on the ground.

muddymess
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
i find a good skid plate and a lot of gas resolves that issue also