PDA

View Full Version : Help with Fox Floats

fastrnrik
03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
My friend has a 2010 DRR 50. The chassis is completely stock. He has just got a set of stock length Fox Floats for the front, but he has no idea how to set them up. I have several friends that have the Fox Evol's on big bikes, but don't know anyone who who uses the little Fox's on the mini's.
How much air does he need to put in them? His rider is 6 yrs old and approx. 60lbs with gear. He is a good rider, and ain't afraid to air it out or charge through some whoops. LOL

Any help or input would be very much appreciated.

mxdad423
03-19-2010, 06:56 PM
We have the floats on our 90 with the Long Travel DC A-arms. My son weighs around 115 lbs with gear. We run 45psi in ours, the compression is 17 clicks out and the rebound is 11 clicks out. That might get you a starting point. Hope that helps, give me a shout if you have any other questions and I will help as much as possible.

Kevin Smitley

etondaddy
03-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mxdad423
We have the floats on our 90 with the Long Travel DC A-arms. My son weighs around 115 lbs with gear. We run 45psi in ours, the compression is 17 clicks out and the rebound is 11 clicks out. That might get you a starting point. Hope that helps, give me a shout if you have any other questions and I will help as much as possible.

Kevin Smitley
I was going to tell this dude to get a hold of you.......but I thought you was on your mini vacation.......lol. Now get back in the hot tube.....lol

Mike Kozura

mxdad423
03-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
I was going to tell this dude to get a hold of you.......but I thought you was on your mini vacation.......lol. Now get back in the hot tube.....lol

Mike Kozura

LOL....We got home around 12:00 noon on Friday, the concert lasted till around midnight Thursday. We left the Hotel around 9:30 am Friday morning. It was a nice little get away, concert was excellant and it was nice to get away for a bit, but now it's back to work and quad building, got the 90 just about ready, just a few little things left to do and it will be ready.

Kevin Smitley

raidernut
03-20-2010, 11:42 PM
just think of the air, as the preload adjuster on a conventional coil spring shock. The air is merely to set the ride heighth. Fill it up until the bike is setting the way you want. That is the beauty of the fox, it has an infinite air adjustment, with out the added weight of a big bulky coil spring. If you have too much air, it will not fully compress at the bottom and affect compression. I lot of people get confused on the fox, as they think the air is what you adjust for the compression of the shock.

mxdad423
03-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
just think of the air, as the preload adjuster on a conventional coil spring shock. The air is merely to set the ride heighth. Fill it up until the bike is setting the way you want. That is the beauty of the fox, it has an infinite air adjustment, with out the added weight of a big bulky coil spring. If you have too much air, it will not fully compress at the bottom and affect compression. I lot of people get confused on the fox, as they think the air is what you adjust for the compression of the shock.

Well explained, I was one of those confused one's when we got ours, But after going to the Fox trailer at the first race they explained that to me, that made things alot easier.

Kevin Smitley

mushinracing
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
make sure you check your ride hieght every time you go to the line we ran them at nats on our 50 last year and the seem to leak after every moto. with 4 inchs of travel there aint much to work with. those shocs are totally differant than the mod stuff. have mark williams walk you threw it . he is raidernut on here and is first class at everything.

mxdad423
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Wow that's odd that they lost air in between moto's like that. I check our's right before each moto just to be sure and have never lost any in that short of time. the most we have ever lost was 1 to 2 lbs after setting for a week in between races. Maybe the seals were leaking on your's or something. We have our's rebuilt directly from Fox once a year and have never had any loss of air issues.

Kevin Smitley

mushinracing
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
cool im not running them right now so i guess i can send them to fox i just thought they were like that i think we were the only one with at nat in the 50 class

mxdad423
03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Yea might be worth getting them to Fox, like I said I always check our's but so far we haven't had any problems, and we have been running them since the first year the mini shocks come out. How much was you loosing in between moto's?

Kevin Smitley