PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading my quad for a ds650

337450r
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Mine is a 05 and his is also , both have samething pipe etc , the onlything he said its hard to start when it is cold and the ds650 are known for that , is that true????What do you guys think of the trade , the reason I am wanting out of my honda 450r is im 6'4" tall and feel very cramped on it and have read the ds650 are great for taller guys , also all I do is trail ride , need your input , thanks

brian 68
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM
the 650 could have 1 intake valve leaking, which will cause it to be hard to start. also if the battery isn't 100%, it won't start. other than that they take a couple crank's if it's really cold. for trail riding. most aftermarket exhausts give you more low end. as long as it has a new headpipe. they are great for big guy's . very roomy. nice seat. try to find a ims 5 gal tank. long trail rides suck fuel. the motor is very reliable. look into new carb, front a arms, (at least uppers) and don't forget the out in back rack , for the cooler.

337450r
03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
how would I know if it was leaking , could it be valves need adjusting? Head said its hard to start but once it warms up it starts right up

brian 68
03-19-2010, 06:43 PM
its hard to tell on a 4 valve head. when i got mine it drove me nuts .
it leaked a little when cold but when you started it the metal would expand and then it would run fine. you could do a leak down test.
check it cold, then warm. if it leaks down when cold , but not warm.
needs a valve job. the valves could need reshimed, either way your looking at about 125 + valve job, 60 + gaskets, 5-10 each shim. plus labor. its hard to tell though, but to go back a couple steps.
the batery and or carb adjustments will make it act that way .
its worth fixing. ride it and shift the gears, back and forth 1 st neutral
2 nd . when downshifting into first if it slips into neutral alot don't trade. check all the suspension, ball joints ,ect. if everything else look's good, hard starting can be dealt with. most 450's need something after 4 to 5 years anyway.