PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes locked up

moore020
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I replaced brake pads last night and now the front brakes are locked up. I did not bleed the breaks in the process. Any fixes?

moore020
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Any ideas?

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Can you get the calipers off now? When you say locked up, do you mean you can't apply pressure so the brakes move against the rotor or do you mean the brakes won't release from the rotor?

moore020
03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I replaced the brake pads last night and now the pads wont release from the rotor. I compressed the piston in on each side but i did not bleed any break fluid or anything. If brake fluid was put in when the pads were worn, would that keep them from releasing?

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Check the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir. It should be between the high and low mark.

You may need to open the bleeder to release the pressure so you can get the caliper off the rotor. Then use a c-clamp to push the caliper back in. I always clean the piston and put some oil on it before compressing it back in.

There is another slide pin that needs greased from time to time.

If somebody did run the pads really low then put more fluid into the reservoir then it could mess things up.

Muzzgit
03-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Take the cover off your brake resevior and use a clean rag to soak up some brake fluid so it doesn't overflow when you push the callipers back in. Use a cloth or old toothbrush to clean any crud off the piston.

daigs85
03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
are the sliders free??? i had the same prob with a side dragging real bad after a pad change and the slider was froze inside the caliper

moore020
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
What are the sliders?

b.lee
03-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by moore020
What are the sliders?

On the Caliper, the piece of metal that you bolt down to hold the Caliper to the machine slides back and forth... and it should slide when you push/pull on it with your hands.

Also take the lid off of the front brake lever/master cylinder to see if it is overflowing. If its full 100%, that's no good, it should be between low and high

moore020
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I did not realize that you should be able to slide it back and forth with your hands. I got the brake pads released from the disc and got the lines bled, you can see the method I finally got to work on the thread titled "Alternate bleed method." Thanks for the help guys. The bike is ready to go to Little Sahara on Good Friday now!

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Idk how to explain this or what to call it really but I'll try. When I changed my pads fluid came out of the resivor. The left side is fine but the right side is always engaged makign the quad pull to the right badly. I tried riding it like that to wear them down but it just got hot fast and didn't help the problem. I tried bleeding them to make the lever feel less spongy but it didn't help. i am thinking my indicator "bar" needs to move back up but that piece must be stuck because when I tighten it down thats when the brakes stay on on the right side.
Thats probably a big mess but maybe a pic will help

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
another pic

quad2xtreme
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
the flat piece of steel has two plungers connected to it. It should be in and out freely. If not, it is corroded. Sometimes you can get it loose and sometimes not. Try spraying some penetrate into the plunger area and working it loose.

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
the flat piece of steel has two plungers connected to it. It should be in and out freely. If not, it is corroded. Sometimes you can get it loose and sometimes not. Try spraying some penetrate into the plunger area and working it loose.

Ok thanks man i knew i wasn't crazy thinking it was supposed to move ha

how much would it be if i can't fix it?

CJM
06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
If it doesnt free up you need a new caliper.

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If it doesnt free up you need a new caliper.

Yea but I'm trying to tap the rubber pieces out and clean up inside but I'm wondering if under the black rubber cap if that is supposed to unscrew, its a hex head but i can't budge it.

CJM
06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Yea it unscrews, if you cant budge it then you either need a ratchet/breaker bar with the hex head sockets of put a small pipe on the hex key.

If you cant budge it after that its rusted in there and not coming out. Time for a new caliper.