PDA

View Full Version : What's your maintanence routine ??

JIM GRACE
03-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Everyone has a routine after each race and some
after each moto. I've learned a lot over the years
just by asking or info offered. From gas and go
racers to complete breakdown after the race.
What's yours? This what i normally do

Cvt- clean rollers and variator
scuff bell and clean, inspect toque spring
scuff clutch shoes and clean
clean and lube kicker pinion and shaft

Intake- clean and inspect carb
clean and oil the filter - add race fuel
inspect or replace spark plug

chassis- torque lug nuts, axl nuts, sproket
nuts, clean - lube and tighten chain with rider,
check for cracks and visual inspection of all other fastners. Check air pressure and check tie rods

the ez up high lift I picked makes it that much
easier to work on.

I am sure I forgot something

Shocks- check and adjust air pressure fronts
rear nothing unless change ride height

raidernut
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Jim sounds like you got it all pretty much covered, but dont forget to clean and lube chain every race, your chain is your main component from motor to drive. Check and clean your electronics under water pump cover, and also pay some attention to whatever slipper assembly you are running

mcwilly
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
clean and lube kicker pinion and shaft
I clean the kicker pinion....but lube it? Wont that create a chance of lube flinging out into the cvt belt and/or pulleys? What do you lube it with? I've heard of some people spraying the kick start spring with lube as well.

I agree with your list. I'd also like to add checking the torque on the slipper sprocket nut.

As far as tire pressure goes, what psi are you guys running in your tires? (we have a 50cc w/ Razzr Cross fronts and 18" snow hogs in the rear)

Coley'sdad#8
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
wow Jim thats a list, does Brandon ever have any time to even ride it with all that maintenance goin on:D sounds like you got the bike scattered all the time:D I take care of all the maintenance issues @ the house during the week and just the normal, gotta fill, check or tighten stuff @ the track. I keep our stuff well maintained but I have learned to trust it @ the track and enjoy the race instead of wrenching all day. (at least on my stuff, usually end up working on somebody else's stuff though:rolleyes: )

JIM GRACE
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
I clean the kicker pinion....but lube it? Wont that create a chance of lube flinging out into the cvt belt and/or pulleys? What do you lube it with? I've heard of some people spraying the kick start spring with lube as well.

I agree with your list. I'd also like to add checking the torque on the slipper sprocket nut.

As far as tire pressure goes, what psi are you guys running in your tires? (we have a 50cc w/ Razzr Cross fronts and 18" snow hogs in the rear)

Very thin coat of grease on the pinion fork, work it
around and wipe off any excess- there shouldn't be
any or you used to much.

Around 5 lbs of air is what we run in our 940's
and razr cross fronts.

I sprayed the kicker spring with wd 40
and let sit over night and then hit it with
the air gun to get out any excess.

JIM GRACE
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
wow Jim thats a list, does Brandon ever have any time to even ride it with all that maintenance goin on:D sounds like you got the bike scattered all the time:D I take care of all the maintenance issues @ the house during the week and just the normal, gotta fill, check or tighten stuff @ the track. I keep our stuff well maintained but I have learned to trust it @ the track and enjoy the race instead of wrenching all day. (at least on my stuff, usually end up working on somebody else's stuff though:rolleyes: )

With my hours at work we really only race on the
weekends. Definitly don't wrench all day, most likely an hour or so and every thing is ready to go. Washing it probably takes longer. Lol

CRBOGGAN
03-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I have been using LPS1 it is a greasless spray lube it seems to be working well so far.