PDA

View Full Version : Ex REALLY Hot!!!

atb400ex
03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
So i just got everything back together after rebuilding the engine. I decided i'd let it idle for awhile just to see if it would. So i went inside for like 15 minutes abd when i came out the garage was filled with smoke even though i left it like half open. So i cleared out all the smoke and checked my quad. I couldnt find a specific spot where it was coming from but i think it was near the carb/gas tank area and the whole quad was really hot. Like i could barely touch the air filter it was so hot. The smoke was like a white-ish color and it kind of smelled like something was burning. Also the idle seemed a little bit high but it wasnt too bad.

HondaRaceReady
03-18-2010, 09:27 PM
You can't leave an air cooled motor idling for 15 minutes straight. You probably destroyed the rings allowing oil to burn causing the smoke.

Honda#4
03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Sounds like your jetting was really lean.

slightlybent47
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
You can't leave an air cooled motor idling for 15 minutes straight. You probably destroyed the rings allowing oil to burn causing the smoke.

X2
Why in the world would you walk off and leave a brand new motor running like that?:huh
I hope you don’t have to go back and redo all your work.:ermm:

jcs003
03-19-2010, 01:58 AM
that excessive could of led into the airbox and started to burn the filter oil.

a good trick if you have to let an air cooled bike idle is to put a fan on it.

FRESHY21
03-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah invest in a stanly blower, they work great to cool down your bike. We even use them at the track on hot days.

slightlybent47
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by FRESHY21
Yeah invest in a stanly blower, they work great to cool down your bike. We even use them at the track on hot days.

I use an old blower from a a/c unit at the track. When you come off the track and shut down the motor it will continue to heat up for a few minuets before it starts to cool down.
A fan will keep it from overheating while it sits there.

You should never leave a motor running un attended, especially a new one.

Good luck