PDA

View Full Version : Swigarm Bearings Wont Come Out!!!!!

honda01400ex
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
my small needle bearings will NOT i repeat NOT come out and i have tryed everything

-pb blast
-sludge hammer
-torch

NOTHING WILL TAKE THEM out !!!!! the needls are all out and the inside of the bearing but the outsides are still in wtf do i do???

all i can think to do is get new swingarm... but im flat *** broke like everyone right now

honda01400ex
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
pic

honda01400ex
03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
pic 2

jcs003
03-18-2010, 05:09 PM
take it to a machine shop. they can bore it out. or if you are dainr and willing to risk ruining the bearing surface...get a dremel and die and grind it out.

spec
03-18-2010, 11:29 PM
we just had the same problem with the 400 we are rebuilding. If you know anyone with a press it SHOULD come out with that. A buddy has a 2 ton press and it popped them out no problem.

gtt416ex
03-19-2010, 05:40 AM
my first set did that. Dad CAREFULLY cut them out with a blow torch

jcs003
03-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
my first set did that. Dad CAREFULLY cut them out with a blow torch

a blow torch on an aluminum swingarm:confused:

Scro
03-19-2010, 06:40 AM
A press is the best solution. They will slide out like butter, just use a socket that is the exact size as the hole.

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
where are you located?

If I remember correctly, a 16mm socket is properly the size you need to press these out. Any machine shop can handle this and would only likely charge you about $10.

I have a tool from Honda that is perfectly sized that will take them out no problem even when it is just the outer race that is left.

Your swingarm looks like it has some good wear and tear on it already. If you can scrape together about $15 I can send you a used swingarm that is in better shape than what you have. I converted my 400ex over to 2005 450r setup. I will give you the swingarm...you just cover shipping.

jcs003
03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
where are you located?

If I remember correctly, a 16mm socket is properly the size you need to press these out. Any machine shop can handle this and would only likely charge you about $10.

I have a tool from Honda that is perfectly sized that will take them out no problem even when it is just the outer race that is left.

Your swingarm looks like it has some good wear and tear on it already. If you can scrape together about $15 I can send you a used swingarm that is in better shape than what you have. I converted my 400ex over to 2005 450r setup. I will give you the swingarm...you just cover shipping.

thats very nice of you. not many people who are that generous anymore.

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
thats very nice of you. not many people who are that generous anymore.

Thanks. I gave another one to another member. Honestly, I have a soft spot for teenagers who are broke because I grew up dirt poor.

gtt416ex
03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
a blow torch on an aluminum swingarm:confused:

yea, like i said very carefully. but i wouldn't ever do it again. i make sure to replace the bearings once a year so they don't ever have a chance to corrode and freeze in there

honda01400ex
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
wow thats realy nice!! i would greatly appreciate that! i can paypal you some cash for shipping just pm me and ill get some to you! :D

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by honda01400ex
wow thats realy nice!! i would greatly appreciate that! i can paypal you some cash for shipping just pm me and ill get some to you! :D

PM'd you.

Promise me you will update your profile and put commas in on your mods so they appear on a few lines. :p And change the spelling to Sponsors. :D

clemsonteg
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by honda01400ex

The other thing you can do after you get the new swingarm in you can have those bearings pressed out of the old one anyways and pass the torch to the next guy that has a problem like this one. We do that on another forum I am a member of with door handles when we want to get ours painted.

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
this is an easy fix. all you need is a carbide burr (cutter) or a small grinding stone. all you do is grind it in one side all the way through. when its cut in half it will collapse and be pried right out. its ok to grind into the aluminum a little bit. :macho

honda01400ex
03-19-2010, 05:06 PM

quad2xtreme
03-20-2010, 10:44 AM
all boxed up and ready to go out 1st thing Monday.

I included a piece of UHMW plastic I want you to try out. It goes between your rear skidplate and the swingarm. You will sandwich in between. Here is the deal though:

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. Put the piece of plastic on a piece of tin foil and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The white plastic will turn clear so don't remove from the oven until it does.
3. Put on a pair of riding gloves then take the piece from the oven. Hurry up and put it over the two rear tabs on the swingarm. You might need to tap it a bit with a hammer to get it to go over the tabs. Then, put your skidplate on and tighten it down.
4. This will sandwich the plastic between the skidplate and your swingarm. The plastic will harden and turn white again. It will greatly strengthen the skid plate and help prevent it from bending around the two mounting tabs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

honda01400ex
03-20-2010, 06:40 PM
cool sounds great!!! but there is a problem i cased a 65 ft table and my skid cought a rock stuck in ground and flicked me off at 40 mph so my skid plate is dead!! but ill try to buy one and then try to do what youu said with the plastic:devil: