PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain removal and installation

bodfper
03-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a Clymer manual and it is confusing me. Will you guys help me with detail directions on the removal of the cam chain? I have the whole top end off along with the clutch cover, Im just not sure how to get the chain out and people say it takes 20 minutes. THANKS

jasonwayne222
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
pull the 5 clutch cover bolts and cover, pull off clutch and basket, and pull anygears that are in the way of the cam chain gear then pull the cam chain off, if u already have the chain off the cam on the top end then just pull it out, its not rocket science just look at whats in your way and move it out of your way and take chain off of gear, dont know what else to tell you

the manual says it all

bean2080
03-17-2010, 09:15 PM
i have always just slid one side of the cam bearings off and that gives it just enough play toget the chain off the gear.

jelrod05
03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
i just did mine take clutch off and oil pump and oil pump gear pull chain out and put new on and put everthing back together it is easy

VTredneckgames
03-18-2010, 05:18 AM
there is a large nut holding the clutch cover on. An impact gun will bring it right off. If you dont have one, take a small screwdriver and pry the factory (stake) lock dent in the nut out.

Remove the clutch and basket. Keep all of the clutch disks in order and inline. Just pull them all out at once.

Remove I think 3 bolts for the oil pump. Then the gear will slide right off. Then swap the chain.

Replace stuff exactly how it came out.

When you tighten the clutch nut back up, take a small center punch and stake (knock a dent) into the nut into the groove to help lock the nut from backing off.

Take your time, take some pictures if you want. Just take things out as complete as you can. Its not hard. You can do it.

bodfper
03-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I just got the timing chain on tonight. You guys were right it is rather simple. I do have one more question though, the large nut holding the clutch cover on with the factory stake lock dent. I ground it down as manual said and when I pryed it out it broke. Do I need to replace the nut or is this locking mechanism necessary?

atc200m
03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
i had to replace mine