PDA

View Full Version : Best 450 platform to build into race ready bike

jjv101
03-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I know the question of which 450 is better out of the box/stock for stock, but this question is a little different.

Basically i know all of them when set up with a-arms, axle and suspension will handle about equal! Im looking at some fox floats, pep or CT/TCS/Race Tech suspensions!

As far as engine goes, this is where my main question is! I will be doing alot of Mx and also Fair cross (which is like arena/supercross) so im looking for something thats got a good amount of Low end/mid range power, but still has some top end, and something that bites/hits hard!

Which of these would be the best platform to go with (USED!) and what type of cams/pitions/etc.. would you recommend?

Choices are: 04-08 YFZ, 06-08 LTR or 04-07 TRX

300ex_#387
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
If you plan on doing suspension no matter what then a Honda is a good starting point to build a race quad. You can find used aftermarket parts with great deals all day on this site. I would just drop a stg II hot cam and piston in. Add a good exhaust and intake.

jjv101
03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Was looking at a yfz ealier today with a Web cam, web valves and springs, and 13.5:1 pistion...any input on that?

really need something that has good low/mid end with some top end where i can beat people out of the hole, out of coners and on some small straights!

400exrider69
03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I've owned honda 450r yfz 450 and rode a can-am ds 450 with minor mods and spent some time on a suzuki ltr it had pipe cherry bomb razor 2's and hipers it was quicker than yamaha and honda stopped hard and i was very impressed. I'd say it'd work great for what your doing.
I'm buying an 06 when i find one and doing an all out xc race quad

SRH
03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
i love the rear suspension , reliability and amount of reliable power there on the yfz the front end is the week point if you ask me, i had a walsh g33 front end and it was a whole new ride, but the ltr cornered as good stock...

i think ud be best off building the ltr, then the yfz then the trx

jjv101
03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
400ex- i am kind of lost on what you were impressed with? the LTR? or the honda?

I guess anyone of these quads would suit my needs hah... i think i remember reading somewhere the honda had a little more low end where the yfz had a little top end...

so i guess what im getting at is, what parts in what bikes would give me/get me where i need?

SRH- thanks for the input! not too worried about the suspension/stance as anything i get will be getting a-arms, axle, suspension done (debating between fox floats, or pep or TCS/CT/Race tech....found a yfz with a arms and TCS suspension already done!

SRH
03-17-2010, 10:15 PM
you wont necessarily miss the low end power on mx track, i rode a few 450r power was very much like a 400ex

the yfz hits more like a 2 stroke, but i never came out of the power much on a mx track

the yfz would be my personal pick, the average to A rider will be able to run pretty good lap times on one with decent suspension setup.

the ltr performs better but with racing coming out of my pocket the yfz was cheaper for me

440racer66
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
ive had john natalies 450r rode ltrs and had a built yfz and i wish i would have stuck with my yfz they fly the best imo. the power is great as well. but you really cant go wrong with any of em

400exrider69
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
haha i should of added 06 suzuki ltr is what i'd like to have.

jjv101
03-18-2010, 12:56 AM
thanks for all the inputs so far...seems like anyone that had rode a race ready yfz is partial to that, even though all would get the job done!

03-18-2010, 03:05 AM
YFZ

ATVMX33
03-18-2010, 05:20 AM
one big thing you want to look into is reliability though too...
if you get a 08+ ltr you will break third gear...and ive heard better about the trx then the yfz

outacontrol
03-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
one big thing you want to look into is reliability though too...
if you get a 08+ ltr you will break third gear...and ive heard better about the trx then the yfz

had two good yrs on my 08 ltr, tore the bottom end down and 3rd gear still looked new. not saying they arent a weak point on some bikes, but not the "serious" issue some make it out to be.

MX450
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
If you are building it up, personally I think the 450R. I love my honda, and next for me would prob be an ltr. I dont like yammis at all.

It all depends on what YOU like though. There is no one correct answer. Ride all three of them then see what feels more comfortable to you. If your gonna dump the cash and build it up you really cannot go wrong with any of them. There are strong and weak points to every bike, hell everything is a give and take.

Just go with what you are comfortable on, then build a good solid bike and you will love it.

ATVMX33
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by outacontrol
had two good yrs on my 08 ltr, tore the bottom end down and 3rd gear still looked new. not saying they arent a weak point on some bikes, but not the "serious" issue some make it out to be.

maybe..i just had bad luck with it i guess

LTR450_#67
03-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Go with a honda, parts are cheaper and are easy to get power of them. I love my LTR but I got to borrow my buddies 450R with LT suspension and the engine had some minor mods. I liked it a lot, but not enough to get rid of my LTR.

SRH
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
the honda performs excellent with $$ in it.. but it is not as reliable as the yamaha with minimal mods...it is more reliable and makes more power with a race motor...youll get the most bang for your buck and best reliablity out of the yamaha...a arms , shocks, axle and pipe and it will run for ever and satisfy most ppls needs..the honda may be better but drop about 10 k before youll appreciate the difference

FHKracingZ
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I think you cant go wrong with suzukis. They will out handle a honda anyday, and have just as much power built.

Theres a reason alot of pros were wanting to get on suzukis this past year!

csr250r
03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree with SRH, piston pipe and correctly jetted yfzs are pretty quick for just those mods. But if you plan on having no stock parts on the quad get a honda. Alot of guys at my local track have been switching to the zukis for motocross but the yfzs and trxs dominate the tt and oval.

bbender85
03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
faircross... you don't happen to be doing SJO in michigan are you?

i am on an LTR this year. had a MX 400ex the last two years, and the little bit of experience i've had so far with the LTR, i like it. i WILL say tho that it's not as easy to work on as my honda....alot of stuff is crammed in there pretty tight.

i don't know what your budget is, but i was in the same boat as you; no brand preference, just whatever deal i found on a 450 was what i was gonna be on. i bought this brand new '07 LTR for $4700....

jjv101
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Not too concerned on what bike is comfy. on, i adapt very well!

main concerns are reliable, powerful, good handling... bassically heres what i plan on doing:

Engine:
-Start off with atleast a Cam and exhaust
-Then get into: High comp. Piston, springs and valves
-Along with whatever else would go in here for power adders/engine components

Suspension:
-A- arms (not too sure what size/brand yet...suggestions? )
-Fox float evols on front/podium on back? or Race tech or PEP
-Linkages
-Axle +4 (probably lonestar, maybe something else)
-atleast a +1 swing arm (not sure on brand yet..suggestions?)
- Any other suggestions to help handling?

Chasis and etc. :
-Reinforce frame
-nerf bars
-front bumper
-grab bar
-obviously tires

now with that still leaves alot untouch, im open to other parts...but for that, whats teh best plat form...remember i am buying USED to save money!!

EDIT: Bender- actually i am in Northern Ohio. Not looking for anything New...i looked at all the new quads at the local shop, they look nice...but just dont leave me any money left over to put some goodies on. So im going the used route and what ever brand will do what i want/ i can get a deal on, thats what ill go with!

norris19
03-19-2010, 04:12 PM
if you're buying used then look for a bike that has pretty much all of the mods that you want, such as a-arms, shocks, etc. That's going to be the best way to save money imo. You could get a pretty nicely built bike for around 7-8k,

As far as a-arms and shocks, you can't really go wrong with any of the major brands like walsh and houser for a-arms. As for shocks, I would say PEP and Fox are at the top of the list, but again, it's all preference.

The first year racing my LTR, I made simple mods such as full yoshi pipe and cherrybomb along with a power commander, Fox floats and a podium x in the rear, walsh adjustable upper a-arms, and handlebars(obviously). I had 2 long travel YFZ's prior to my LTR and would take my fox/ semi-walsh LTR any day over those long travel YFZ's with Laegar a-arms and elka shocks.

jjv101
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
norris- thats kind of what im doing, im looking for a used one that has some stuff done...im finding a good amount that has some decent suspension ands stuff done, not soo much engine work done though (except exhaust!)

just not totally sure which platform to look at, im not partial to any brand really...but would like to stick with LTR, YFZ or TRX

bassically in my previous response i gave what im looking at/looking at doing!

banker30
03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
well ill give my input i guess... ive rode the trx and ltr.. and personally i love my yfz.. its an 05 and honestly people call more problems then they really have.. ive only rebuilt it twice since new.. and the first rebuild it had over 100hours on it. bought almost all my suspension and stuff used.. to build my quad it would cost around $25,000 i got about $10,000 in it. When my yfz was stock my buddy had an ltr with a fully built motor suspension and everything and my stock motor would pull away from his ltr and i only had a pipe

madskrillz2
03-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Can't go wrong in any department with an LTR. I feel like the ergo's are by far the best.

norris19
03-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Can't go wrong in any department with an LTR. I feel like the ergo's are by far the best.

That's how I feel. I've been on a YFZ, TRX and LTR for a good amount of time and even though the LTR weighs a bit more, I still feel more comfortable on it.

As far as reliability goes, I had my share of problems with my 2 YFZ's and would probably never get another Yamaha again (although the YFZR's look niceee). It may have been coincidental that I got 2 bad bikes, but I've heard of a lot of people having problems with 04-07 YFZ's Honda's are known to be reliable and my LTR's haven't given me any trouble to date. Hope this helps

jjv101
03-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Hmm...

well I think im going to look for a TRX or a LTR mainly...but the YFZ will always be a third option! There are alot of decent semi race ready yfz's out there for a good price so thats the main plus they have!!

300ex_#387
03-22-2010, 08:23 AM
You should buy my honda. It has a mild motor with a hotcam, 14:1 piston and a stock head exhaust and intake. There is only 4 hours on this motor with a brand new oem head components. The rest of the bike has very low hours after I rebuilt the entire thing last winter. I was hurt over the racing season and did not get much riding done. It has been ridden once since november and is ready to go. You won't have to change or replace a thing to ride it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=430327&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

bens250ex
03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
i would have to say its up to what you feel best on. i have a ltr and love it. i wouldn't trade it for anything else. that being said i have spent time on trx's and yfz's i can't get comfortable on either one. the only thing i had to add was nerf bars to my ltr and i was race ready. no a-arms, shocks, axles or anything. that was a big plus in my book. the ltr feels good in the air as well.

jjv101
03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
thats a really nice quad, more than what i was looking to spend at this time though!

beastlywarrior
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
how about a outlaw 450, their workin out really good for racers

jjv101
03-27-2010, 05:08 PM
looking to stay with TRX, LTR or YFZ

so guys, i found this 07 LTR450 for sale locally. The guy couldnt tell me too much about it however which kind of scares me. He said he traded the drive train out of his druby car that was beat to **** for this quad thats had thousands invested, anyway heres what i could see/he could tell me:

-500 big bore kit (dont know brand, or anything)
-Hot cams (things its stage 3 but says it has a crap ton of TQ/get up and go)
-Elka front shocks (seem to be stage 3)
-Looks like stock rear shock (white spring)
-HMF pipe
-Says something with the clutch has been done
-Razr tires on beadlocks
-Programmer (didnt say/cant tell what one)
-Nerf bars

So im thinking of going to take a look at it, should i be a little concerned not knowing about what it has...becuase this guy seriously has NO CLUE! and hes only rode it around the yard a few times with trueblue fuel

mxpimp2000
03-27-2010, 06:32 PM
i love my yfz. the only bike i would ever consider to own would be a LTR BUT it would have to be carbed kicker and ATP trans. i like the LTR's power and handling. BUT i wouldnt own one because of the EFI and TRANS issues. i dont have 2k for new gears and 2k more for the kicker and carb conversion so im staying with my beautiful YFZ:D

I would ride a honda but they dont feel right to me. when i sit on one it makes me feel like im behind a DS650 with the fenders a mile away lol. also the frame and subframes being easy to break it seems like i always hear someone saying they need a frame or how theirs keeps breaking:confused:

jjv101
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
hmm interesting, everyone has there preferences! Me however ill ride anything reliable and that will get the job done hah. I know they are all great bikes...

any input on that LTR i talked about in my above post?

could be a steal?

John Noftsinger
03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
are you planning to race it or trail ride? if trail ride yes if its a good price and in good shape .race ID say no .

PaRedneckRiders
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I would personally go with the honda
I like the power that it makes because it covers everything
The yfz has more topend but its more rider than machine
I would go with a 450r then add a good cam and piston (stage 3 cam would give more top end and so would a shorty pipe)
Then suspension the fox sounds just fine as for a-arms that just depends on what your looking for
And the axle imo the durablue is a good axle but ive herd more good reviews about the g-force axle and g-force also has lifetime warranty
Ive herd of a couple ppl that raced 2 or 3 seasons on one axle and never had any problems
Also nice thing is u could find a bent one for like 40-50 and send it back and get a new one
Or juz buy a new 1 for a lil under 200$

jjv101
03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
John- I plan to race/practice with whatever bike i do go with, that ltr i mentioned id $4,000...could probably talk him down a little more since he doesnt know much about it, however it still makes me a little leery!

PaRedneckRiders- Yeh im really looking into Honda and Suzuki's with the YFZ not to far behind...ive heard alot of people say they are great bikes (the yfz) and alot say "stay away"

jjv101
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
def. probably going with a TRX450r or LTR450...unless i get a KILLER deal on a YFZ.

hard part is deciding between 450r and LTR...found a few of each that interested me, but each is price differently and have different parts.

for example found a 05 honda with long travel a arms and swing arm, PEP shocks, baldwin build engine, and TONS of other things
or
LRR with fox floats, walsh a arms and swing arm, cherry bomb, yosh pipe and a few other extra like tires, adn what not..no other engine mods

Bradracer18
03-29-2010, 07:17 AM
KTM:)