PDA

View Full Version : American-made mx production quad

4stroker85
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
This may be a stupid question... but why isn't there an american made production quad that flat out rips the other "race ready" quads to pieces?

The best chassis's come from america (walsh, laeger, roll etc)

The best engine builders are in america (baldwin etc)

The best shocks come from america (pep, custom axis, fox etc)

Why dont these guys team up and produce some quads, and clean up the mx market... How many quads does it take to be a production item? 500?

There may be a good reason why no-one has done it (there has to be otherwise someone wouldve by now..) but yeah i just though i would put it out there and hear some peoples thoughts and see some discussion on this topic.

Mark.

kodymx13
03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
time and money. and the minimum is 50 or 100. it has been tried before but came up short. there may be some top secret stuff on the way though. (little bird told me)

ryanowarrior
03-17-2010, 09:11 PM
wonder if thats the same bird i heard it from lol ^^

kodymx13
03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
i have no idea what your talking about... :D

jcs003
03-18-2010, 01:42 AM
cannondale tried it and failed.

the aftermarket companies would lose money.

the engine builders arent suited for manufacturing motors. they modify factory engines for the racing iondustry.

plus, these companies you mentioned have gotten together many times for races.

it would be awesome to have all the best stuff on a economical priced bike.

fastrnrik
03-18-2010, 04:08 AM
That new Highland quad is made in America. Supposed to be 70hp and MX ready. lt looks bad @.ss, like a Cannondale with a 250R kit. I haven't seen any pricing on it yet.

fastrnrik
03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I was saying what I read. I still think it looks cool. I always liked the Cannondales with the 250R kit.
I could care less how it performs. I'm not buying one.

You seem pretty disgruntled against them. Why is that?

89trx250r
09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
The single-cylinder motor will be available in a variety of configurations, depending on what the customer wants. It can be a 450 with mild output or a 70-horsepower 507. It is a six-speed with EFI and a very complicated electronic brain that keeps track of every rpm that the motor turns from the first time it’s started. It even has a G-meter that remembers how hard it landed from each jump

seems to me noone ever claimed 70 hp lol just another stupid assumption by the person posting or lack of reading thereof.

Shawthy33
09-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by jcs003

it would be awesome to have all the best stuff on a economical priced bike.

From the businessman's head, remind me how this is (1) possible and (2) profitable

jcs003
09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Shawthy33
From the businessman's head, remind me how this is (1) possible and (2) profitable

reread what you quoted. dont question my comment if you dont comprehend simple english.

i said, "it would be awesome to have all the best stuff on a economical priced bike. "

when did i every say it was profitable or possible.

IDIOT!!

Shawthy33
09-17-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree with you it would be awesome, its just not realistic.

kodymx13
09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
this project is definitely going to be possible. stay tuned for january 2011 boys.

NED441SUZ
09-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Its comin'. You will see.

atvmxer79
09-18-2010, 08:23 PM
^ yep that bird told me as well

ikas
09-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
highland doesnt have a clue what they are doing! they bought a couple used cannondales slapped their motors in there, put some on some graphics and said hey we got a mx bike.

70hp is complete BS

they dont have a damn clue what they are doing.

they dont even have the rights to, or even someone to, produce the frames. Itll never come through, dont hold your breath.

Walsh racecraft is constructin a frame for there 950 w-twin quad what i heard.
Walsh and highland cooperate.

kodymx13
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ikas
Walsh racecraft is constructin a frame for there 950 w-twin quad what i heard.
Walsh and highland cooperate.

also heard they redesigned the canuter valve

09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by kodymx13
this project is definitely going to be possible. stay tuned for january 2011 boys.

OK Georgia boys, ;) , yes the project is possible but the question is do enough people have the money to buy these quads to make the project worthwhile?

kodymx13
09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
if people are willing to go in neck deep on a ktm sx or shelling out the national dept for walsh stuff, these wont have a problem selling.

09-20-2010, 07:48 PM
if people are willing to go in neck deep on a ktm sx or shelling out the national dept for walsh stuff, these wont have a problem selling.

That's pretty much my point. Why do you think KTM didn't even have a damn 2010 quad lineup. They couldn't sell any. Why do you think the factories are pulling out of racing? They're not selling anything. Fewer and fewer people are "shelling out" the cash these days.

And believe me, it's an awesome idea. I'd love for it to work. It's just some tough times these days.

89trx250r
09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
i feel like to many companies feel they have to have a race ready quad otd otherwise they wont be competitive but they also don't realize no-one wants to go to a dealer and shell out $10000 for just a "stock" race ready quad it never used to be like that with quads coming mx width from the factory you used to go buy a $4000 250r or 400ex and then if you so chose to made it race ready anyone who races or is around the industry knows its not a cheap hobby and i feel like companies are crippling there income due to just stupid ideas lol in my opinion and its just that an opinion id rather buy a stock quad and do everything myself for about the same amount of money if not slightly more but everything would be dialed in and tuned for you suspension motor etc right now in my eyes your paying 8,9,10k for a quad your gonna have to put new suspension tires wheels exhaust efi controller steering stabilizer or otherwise a kick-start etc you guys know what im saying sorry if im just ranting but i think quads should be taken back to when they were just that stock atv's to ride for fun or customize if you so chose...

NED441SUZ
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with that to a point,BUT how Many LT-R's did Suzuki sell before the economy tanked? A bunch. A KTM is worth what they cost. They need a set of shocks if you are reasonably fast rider and thats about it. Everyone here who has a race quad has more in it than the cost of a new KTM. The big problem is cost. All the manufacturers shoved 4 stokes down our throats. Not beacause they were better or EPA (rules don't apply to closed coarse competition) How much does it cost to fix a blown 4 stroke versus a 2 stroke? I think the 2 stroke will come back. A race ready production hybrid will sell if there are personal options you can get. (color,shocks,etc)

89trx250r
09-20-2010, 11:51 PM
i agree man i ride a 250r and a yfz i feel no only more comfortable but also faster on the 250r by a long shot and i also agree with what you had to say but my main thing was just most people wanna customize there own stuff with what brands products they like etc i think the industry has the idea that whatever they say is what the consumer will buy which may have been the case before but now more people are looking to different routes if that makes sense

JR3
09-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 8686
That's pretty much my point. Why do you think KTM didn't even have a damn 2010 quad lineup. They couldn't sell any. Why do you think the factories are pulling out of racing? They're not selling anything. Fewer and fewer people are "shelling out" the cash these days.

And believe me, it's an awesome idea. I'd love for it to work. It's just some tough times these days.

+1

madskrillz2
09-27-2010, 11:23 PM
time and money. and the minimum is 50 or 100. it has been tried before but came up short. there may be some top secret stuff on the way though. (little bird told me)

I've heard that little bird chirping too.

Thumpin440ex
09-28-2010, 12:52 AM
It might come, but who is going to pay for it, how long will it be there... It's all about demand.. A bike with the best of the best, will cost 12k+. Some people might spring for that kinda coin, but 90% of the people will not....

John