PDA

View Full Version : rear end play!

Jonnylightening
03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Alright I was out riding a little while ago and noticed that when you pick up on the rear of my EX the axle has play in between the swing-arm. I tightened the locknut on the axle and it still has play. Could it be bearing trouble? Also As I'm riding I hear a scratching noise every now and again, kinda sounds like a fingernail on chalkboard. Can anybody help me with these issues? The whole matter really pi$$es me off because I just paid nearly $2000 for this thing at Cernics. I've only ridden it for maybe a tank and a half of fuel. If this is the way they do business they'll never see me again. Thanks for any help. Jon

PaRedneckRiders
03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
my guess would b berings but im not 100% sure

slightlybent47
03-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
my guess would b berings but im not 100% sure

x2

MidnightBlade
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
replace the bearings ans seals i had the same thing happen to me but DO NOT ride it unitl you replace the bearings i got mine for $30 but i got connections at the local shop (theyre all my 1st cousins) but should be around 40 or so

Jonnylightening
03-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys, any idea of "scratching" noise coming from the quad?

MidnightBlade
03-17-2010, 07:44 PM
its the dirt and grit in the beaings it will fall in and out as time comes and goes and also when a certain movement makes it shift

MidnightBlade
03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
or it could be the chain twisting on the sprocket they most likely carry dirt or rust and that could causse the scratching just clean everything when you take the bearings out like the carrier and everything else that has mud and gese on it re-grease it all and reassemble thatll do it

MidnightBlade
03-17-2010, 07:47 PM
*grease on it

PaRedneckRiders
03-18-2010, 04:49 AM
i definitely dont ride it if its the bearings because if they heat up enough from all the dirt and grit causing friction they will melt and push through the side of the bearing i had this happen on my old 400 and luckily all i need to get was a new carrier about 170 at my local dealer for an lsr carrier
it could have been alot worse and screwed but my axle and the theres another couple hundred down the drain

Jonnylightening
03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Can you guys give me a step by step on how to replace these or link me to a post? What all is involved? I want to be able to ride this this upcoming weekend. thanks again for the help!!

fishnfergie
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Look under the articles section for this site. There is a good how-to with pictures and all.

sc400ex_rider
03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
Look under the articles section for this site. There is a good how-to with pictures and all.

yep

Jonnylightening
03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I got the new bearings and everything torn apart. To my surprise the ball bearings dropped out and the carrier is Fu(ked! I have only ridden this thing for less than two tanks of gas, and babied it at that. The guys at Cernics had to have known the bearings were going out, because the mechanic that went over the machine with me made a point to tell me "Make sure you keep this lubed back here because dirt gets inside there and stretches the chain and can cause the bearings to go out." If they don't make this right for me I'll take them to the BBB. I'll be damned that I'm putting another penny into it. I just paid close to $2000 for it and to me thats a **** load of money.

tsaun987
03-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah thats pretty crappy man. I had place in town put a fabtech lift kit on my truck and screwed it all up. All it took was me contacting the BBB, and they wrote me a check to have my truck fixed. (they wanted to fix it at their shop and i told them to f-off!!!

Jonnylightening
03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Well I took the carrier up Saturday and the guy working told me that he would have to cut out the old bearing. He said it would be about a 2-3 hour job at $60/hr., but he would only charge me &60 plus tax. He also said it would be done Monday Afternoon. I went Monday and he didn't come in because he had an appointment. Went up today and he told me that the bits he uses were broke and he had to order new ones and for me to check back Thursday. He didn't even start on it! To tell you the truth, They'll NEVER see me back at Cernics again! Also I've heard from a few others that Cernics is shady when it come to customer service. They should just do it for free since I just bought the damn thing for almost $2000.