PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Key

RNL
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has an honest opinion as I'm thinking about getting one for my 400ex. Are there problems associated with these things, do they decrease reliability at all? And of course do they really do much for performance gains? Thanks, Rob.

grassman
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Its alright... I haven't had any probs as far as reliability, Ive had it in now for 2yrs with no probs what so ever. It makes it a little more "snappy" as far as throttle response and winds up a little quicker. The only downside that I found with mine is that it takes away from your top end. You can play with your gearing to compensate for it. Like I said its alright, nothing spectacular $.02

RNL
03-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Makes you lose topend? Hmm, the 400ex has weak topend as it is, not sure I wanna lose anymore. Thanks for the input!

ian0615
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Timing Keys are good for what they do..not sure if you have done anything else to your motor, i did a few fairly cheap mods ,ie:cam,raised comp. an alright exhaust, and then i used a +3 key that a member here makes, and i honestly noticed a great improvement. Everything you do to your motor needs to work together, just like a car if you make alot of hp you gotta beef up the rear end, not a great analogy but whatever. what i mean is you cant expect the world from just a timing advance, it does what it does, i suggest you save a bit more cash and build to what you expect. I am seriously happy with what i have done and really dont need or want any more power. i dunno if i helped any. so yes, they work well, but will give you more if you wrench more.

RNL
03-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ian0615
Timing Keys are good for what they do..not sure if you have done anything else to your motor, i did a few fairly cheap mods ,ie:cam,raised comp. an alright exhaust, and then i used a +3 key that a member here makes, and i honestly noticed a great improvement. Everything you do to your motor needs to work together, just like a car if you make alot of hp you gotta beef up the rear end, not a great analogy but whatever. what i mean is you cant expect the world from just a timing advance, it does what it does, i suggest you save a bit more cash and build to what you expect. I am seriously happy with what i have done and really dont need or want any more power. i dunno if i helped any. so yes, they work well, but will give you more if you wrench more.

Thanks, I see what your saying. I am doing the Big 3 and was thinking about a sparks key to. My quad is bone stock right now.

bean2080
03-18-2010, 10:03 AM
i love my sparks key, it just comes down to what you are going to do with your quad. it works wonders for xc riding but if you are wanting to have a ton of speed i would just scratch the sparks key and invest into a high compression piston or something if you are looking for a little more power. IMO

RNL
03-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by bean2080
i love my sparks key, it just comes down to what you are going to do with your quad. it works wonders for xc riding but if you are wanting to have a ton of speed i would just scratch the sparks key and invest into a high compression piston or something if you are looking for a little more power. IMO

Well to be honest i will never prolly use top end anyways. I was looking for a cheap mod to add performance.

CJM
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Unless your racing around in competition and need that topend then its really a no brainer to get the sparks key.

Im in the process of a small rebuild and its the next thing i want to do since I only trail ride.

RNL
03-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Unless your racing around in competition and need that topend then its really a no brainer to get the sparks key.

Im in the process of a small rebuild and its the next thing i want to do since I only trail ride.

Yea, once I thought about it I never use the top end anyways. I'm just a weekend warrior, trail rider anyways. I'm going to get it.

Got a question tho, if I add my slip on, K and N, no lid and Sparks key am I gonna feel a big difference? I have never had a four stroke before so I'm clueless to mods. I know they wont be as big with a two stroke when you mod it.

ian0615
03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
to answer your question, yes you will notice a difference. just be sure to jet appropriately. Its not going to be a crazy gain, but you will feel the throttle response, will pull a lil harder,ect.

Be aware that if you do mod your motor, with a HC Piston 11:1 and up you wont be able to use your sparks key (or rather they dont recommend it) like i stated earlier, search the +3 Timing Key thread as he makes keys for modded motors (i have one and its worth every bit)

Ryan'07400ex
03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
You actually lost speed when you put the key in?
I couldn't tell if it did for me but now its gonna be in my head that i'm slower now :ermm:

I did notice it reving quicker but thats bought it.

lyrikz74
08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I just now found this thread. I just installed my sparks key and i dont like the results.

My bike is a 08 400ex. Muffler, air filter, one tooth down on front spocket. Before i put the sparks key in it would lift the front end in 1st, 2nd, 3rd all the time wihtout even trying... As soon as i put the key in, i have better midrange/top end, but the friggin bottom end torque feels like its GONE!!!!

I dont get it... I didnt install it wrong.. Theres a red dot on the key way and its facing out. Thats pretty impossible to screw up... Any thoughts???

v0lcom13sn0w
09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
i forget which way you're supposed to hold it, either to the left or to the right when you tighten the flywheel bolt down... did you do that? because when i put mine in the first time i didnt do it and it felt like my bike became a POS and so i took it apart and realized what i did wrong and fixed it and now there is a big difference in performance.

lyrikz74
09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by v0lcom13sn0w
i forget which way you're supposed to hold it, either to the left or to the right when you tighten the flywheel bolt down... did you do that? because when i put mine in the first time i didnt do it and it felt like my bike became a POS and so i took it apart and realized what i did wrong and fixed it and now there is a big difference in performance.

With this new stepped key i have, it can only go one way.

I took it out riding again, and it was a bit better. WEll, i went to check my airfilter and popped my lid off... I then thought what the hell, let me keep the lid off. HOLY ****. NEW BIKE. ahaha. So i wasnt gettin enough air. im guessing. So im going to rejet with the lid off and happy for now.

Until i get my 440 kit. WHere do you buy those from?

tri5ron
09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by lyrikz74
With this new stepped key i have, it can only go one way.

I took it out riding again, and it was a bit better. WEll, i went to check my airfilter and popped my lid off... I then thought what the hell, let me keep the lid off. HOLY ****. NEW BIKE. ahaha. So i wasnt gettin enough air. im guessing. So im going to rejet with the lid off and happy for now.

Until i get my 440 kit. WHere do you buy those from? :rolleyes:
you get the 440 12.5:1 kit, the over-rev CDI box, and the electric turbo fan lid....
....right next door to the HD stud shop . :rolleyes:

honda400ex2003
09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
imo, most of the info in this thread is false. from my experiences with different keys anyways. I have always gained more top end with the key than without it. the more advanced the more top end i achieved. I actually lost low end with most of my setups i have ran. but it is interesting to see what people are saying in this thread... seems to be the opposite which is good for me to look into. imo one of the best mods you can do along with your exhaust and filter is to take your choke out for the summer and do the sparks key. the choke out, helps out the low end and throttle response also and the key helps out the top end making an overall gain for lots of :)s steve

v0lcom13sn0w
09-07-2010, 01:51 AM
steve, i agree with you, when i had my stock carb on my bike i removed the choke and upped the pilot to a 42 and i had no problems starting the bike even when it was below freezing out. taking the choke out is a great mod. then again... so is the jetted 04 450r carb im runnin now :D

lyrikz74
09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
:rolleyes:
you get the 440 12.5:1 kit, the over-rev CDI box, and the electric turbo fan lid....
....right next door to the HD stud shop . :rolleyes:

What is the roll eyes for? I dont get the sarcasm. When i took my lid off, the bike felt alot better. Is that not possible?

And where is the HD Stud shop? Just would like to look into the big bore kit.