PDA

View Full Version : How race ready are the factory MX 450's?

Z400Silverado
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
First off I'll say sorry because I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times already, but I've been out of the loop for a few years (still read a little bit just to know whats out there) and I'm looking to start racing again next season.

I'm looking at new / left over 09' quads. I've noticed Yamaha, KTM, Can-Am, and I guess Suzuki(I say that because of width) build a "race ready" factory quad. I'm just wondering how race ready these quads really are, enough to be competitive on local tracks? I know the usual pipe, filter, efi controller, etc.. will be needed ..but if any suspension mods are needed I'd go a different direction.

Any help at all is appreciated.

johnnyquad17
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
All four of those can be competive with the mods you stated. I have a Suzuki and love it. My friend has the new Yamaha and I like the Suzuki better. Can am and KTM are a little more race ready but you are going to spend more. Any one of them would be a good choice. Good luck!

outacontrol
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Just sold my ltr for the new ktm. i can say the ktm is a lot lighter, easier to work on, and has more quality components. ex: chromoly frame/a arms, hydraulic clutch, nerfs, better suspension etc. you can find some deals right now on them as well for in the 7000 range..

mineralgrey01gt
03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
those ktm's are killer. They also put out the most power stock, 46.xx on dyno and the others put out in the 30's. That was the carb shootout on last years models

Z400Silverado
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help. So how would say a stock YFZ 450R compare to a base YFZ with full suspension up front and + length rear axle? Stock engine down to the air filter, would the aftermarket suspension bike have an advantage?

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest way to buy/build a new bike that will compete. Buy a new base quad and build it, or buy a new factory MX quad and just add engine mods(+nerfs and little stuff if needed)?

I know rider ability comes into play more than anything, maybe I'm overthinking on the quad stuff.

And I've been checking out those KTM's, seen a few on Ebay for around $7400. None of the dealers shipped though, and I doubt I can find that deal locally.

BakerRacing40
03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
in my opinion, if i were to be wanting a race ready quad i'd buy something used and but not beat. say a regular yfz, because i own and like mine, find either a 08 or 09. might be able to find a left over new one too. take pull all the stock suspension sell it and buy items i trust and like. you'll have improved technology and suspension tailored to you and how you want it. all the "factory race ready" bikes are set up to a general area to try to work for a lot of different people buying them. so by the time you spend money on re-valving the shocks your still on stock a-arms and 3/2 offset wheels, versus if you buy your aftermarket arms and shocks you on better technology and you can have your wide width with 4/1 offset wheels. you'll probably spend about the same total, well depending what products you use and if you buy new or used on some stuff, and if/when you try to sell it later on.. what can you make money back on? a stock bike with bolt ons or a built bike? if you part out?

just some thoughts..

CADWELL
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
If you could swing the money, I'd really look into a KTM. I don't own one and have never riden one, but based upon the simpliity yet optimal power out put that this quad was built to have, it makes it hard to beat IMO.

On the other side of that coin though, the market is GREAT right now for aftermarket used parts for quads. You type in " Walsh" for almost any model ATV and something will come up. I say Walsh, because IMO and alot of others, it's the best stuff put there and it can be had for a fraction of the cost if you find it on EBAY.

OR the market is also great for used, built quads aswell. Take me for example, I have 2 YFZ's that I learned the hard way I wasn't gonna be able to financially maintain both bikes. So now I''ve got one up for sale at a GREAT price with top notch components...Let me know if you're interested LOL....

TWISTED
03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
[i]Originally posted by CADWELL [/i

If you could swing the money, I'd really look into a KTM. I don't own one and have never riden one, but based upon the simpliity yet optimal power out put that this quad was built to have, it makes it hard to beat IMO.

On the other side of that coin though, the market is GREAT right now for aftermarket used parts for quads. You type in " Walsh" for almost any model ATV and something will come up. I say Walsh, because IMO and alot of others, it's the best stuff put there and it can be had for a fraction of the cost if you find it on EBAY.

OR the market is also great for used, built quads aswell. Take me for example, I have 2 YFZ's that I learned the hard way I wasn't gonna be able to financially maintain both bikes. So now I''ve got one up for sale at a GREAT price with top notch components...Let me know if you're interested LOL....

KTM all the way.........

KingpinsEx
03-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I would buy a used suzuki thats in good shape and modify as needed. But hoenstly you could compete at the local level with nerfs, cherry bomb, and steering stabilizer on one...

bbender85
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
i just bought a brand new '07 LTR for $4700 plus the tax/title/etc; as said above, add a tether, nerfs, take the exhaust cork out/airbox lid off, cherry bomb, you have a 49" wide bike good enough to run in local and/or B/C class races. or put a few more bucks into some shocks and an intake cam on top of the stuff i listed above, and you're still doing good cash-wise (in relative terms i guess, haha) with a strong runner.

XCRacer236
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
for MX, LTR is the quad to beat. KTM is a close second. then a YFZ. the YFZR is junk! please no NOT buy one!

CADWELL
03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm surprised that suzuki dosen't include an extra 3rd gear for the tranny in the nifty little tool kit under the seat for the LTR.

Yes...they may be pretty "race ready" off the showroom floor. But you also want something that is not gonna need any tranny service with in a few months of buying it.

The KTM SX models are pretty much ready to takr from the showroom floor, to a National, JMO.

Canadian144
03-20-2010, 08:17 PM
^ OK thanks for that not useful generalization.

Not every LTR needs a new 3rd gear. It was only a few 08's. 06-07s didn't have any 3rd gear problems. My 08 has been fine. Most 08s have been fine.

Do some research before making a statement like that.

DVXchic
03-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Seems nobody wants to give the Can Am any credit. I did some research before buying, and the Can am offers the best Race ready Quad out there. and if accepted into the racer program (if still available) your set.who else is going to hand you a pipe, ecu and other stuff just for riding there quad. I have not gotten to a track yet, but so far it seems to ride super smooth through our whooped out trails with the stock suspension. I think i made the right choice. They are all good Quads imo. but for "Race Ready" I say Can Am.
This is how it came, Just don't go 08, they are Badd news...

KingpinsEx
03-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I think the DS is also a viable option. I have yet to see many at the local races though and they don't seem to have to much success at the nationals.. What I was thinking for the DS, might switch next season, was to buy a left over, whatever year base model DS. Get on the racer support program, get the axle, nerfs, a-arms, pipe, everything you can get for free or VERY cheap. Then put whatever brand aftermarket shocks on and you are good to go! The only bad thing's I have heard about the ds 450mx is the stock shock valving. That way you could bypass them and get your preference without paying for expensive shocks you don't want...

Oh and by the way my '06 LTR has not had any tranny issues or ANY mechanical problems as far as that goes with a full season of mx, woods riding, and practicing...

MX MaNiAc 06
03-21-2010, 07:52 PM
KTM without a doubt man. It's made so ready to race. I have a honda 450r too and the biggest difference for mx is the power. Have you ever been on a 450 at an mx track trying to clear a jump 3rd pinned and just need a little bit more? My 505sx ALWAYS has that little bit more. ;)

TNT
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
ATV ON Demand just did a 2010 shootout check it out….

http://atvondemand.com/index.php?page=videos&section=memberview&vid_id=100528

Discussions on HQ, can-am here:

http://www.ds450hq.com/forums/pictures-videos/777-450cc-atv-motocross-shootout.html

PS: I don't what the rules are about ref other sites if thats a no no delete it. Just thought it might help the guy out.

bens250ex
03-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by DVXchic
Seems nobody wants to give the Can Am any credit. I did some research before buying, and the Can am offers the best Race ready Quad out there. and if accepted into the racer program (if still available) your set.who else is going to hand you a pipe, ecu and other stuff just for riding there quad. I have not gotten to a track yet, but so far it seems to ride super smooth through our whooped out trails with the stock suspension. I think i made the right choice. They are all good Quads imo. but for "Race Ready" I say Can Am.
This is how it came, Just don't go 08, they are Badd news...

the problem with can am is dealers aren't everywhere. if you are out of town or just at home you can bet there will be a yamaha,suzuki,or honda dealer around alot closer than a can am. don't get me wrong very nice bikes and i would own one but i would hate to have to get parts in a pinch. but very nice bike

TNT
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
the problem with can am is dealers aren't everywhere. if you are out of town or just at home you can bet there will be a yamaha,suzuki,or honda dealer around alot closer than a can am. don't get me wrong very nice bikes and i would own one but i would hate to have to get parts in a pinch. but very nice bike

Getting parts is never an issue; it’s rare we can’t find a part in days delivered to our door. The market has expanded drastically in the past year with many used parts on EBAY, aftermarket companies such as BCS, Moto Works, Rossier, Warnert, etc…. I will say over the past year Can-am parts have and still are more expensive, but as more enter into service the supply and demand is increasing reducing cost…Can rig is very present at national and regional races making it easy to get them there…There are only two parts I would not replace OEM I can think of, the clutch basket and a frame member up front some may never fail by the a-arm they should recall imo, our light weight hollow axle broke we went w/RPM but others are doing fine with the OEM axle I’d say the majority.

BRP service is an issue, as you stated there not abundant in most cities like HON, YAM, Suk, Kawi, etc… and only about half their service centers you’d want to trust a race quad to from what I have heard(you can say this about other OEM’s too depends on the particular dealer), but if you’re a die-hard racer you do-it-yourself.

I will say it cost more than the average to get the motor to deliver BIG power, but more and more are learning how to dial it in. It’s a tricky one the Rotax, revs high, big air motor w/big bore, big throttle body, big intake, big valves, more for top end power but if you’re smart you can tap into the bottom end with gearing, the right mods and once you do you won’t be disappointed in it’s light weight, well centered mass, and superb handling qualities. .

KingpinsEx
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I didn't care for that review that atv on demand did. It was a great concept, but the scoring system and so many test riders sort of ruined it for me. Too many categories and too many opinions to make any sense of it all.

Hmmm maybe I should switch to the can-am. Oddly enough, I live in the sticks and have a dealer 20min from my house. That's actually the issue with me getting a KTM, closest dealer is 2.5 hours away :eek2:

400grl
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry, but I have to give a huge thumbs up for the YFZ450R....I have raced the snot out of mine in basically stock form since I got it in Jan of 2009......stock suspension is excellent!!! Power is good, ergonomics are great, and add yourself a pipe, a set of nerf bars, some MX tires and a steering dampner and you are good to go!! I have raced mine MX and desert, and it's been awesome for both! I came from a fully built MX YFZ450........