PDA

View Full Version : 400ex. Does it need rear axle/carrier bearings?

whatchagondo45
03-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Sup guys, first new thread. Anyways,
i have a 2004 Honda 400ex. I noticed the other day that when i get on it and rock from side to side (stationary with engine off) the axle stays still but the rest of the quad moves and clicks sort of. It moves up and down, but not very
much from side to side. Probably 1/16 side to side. And about 1/4 to 1/2 up and down. I tried tightening the jam nut or whatever its called (the left hand thread. I dont know as tht i tightened it right). But that did nothing. My rotor also moves front and. Back. I was told i need carrier bearings. I hope not because its wednesday and i have. Planned riding trip this weekend. If it is bearings, can i just tighten the nut and ride, then replace it?

Scro
03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Set the quad on something, so the rear tires are off the ground. Grab the tires, and move them back and forth. Depending on how much movement you have, you should replace the bearings ASAP.

If the movement is very minimal, you should be alright for just one weekend of riding. But seeing as how you can feel the movement just by sitting on it, I say you should replace them before you ride. If they are that bad, you run the risk of damaging the carrier itself.

whatchagondo45
03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Set the quad on something, so the rear tires are off the ground. Grab the tires, and move them back and forth. Depending on how much movement you have, you should replace the bearings ASAP.

If the movement is very minimal, you should be alright for just one weekend of riding. But seeing as how you can feel the movement just by sitting on it, I say you should replace them before you ride. If they are that bad, you run the risk of damaging the carrier itself.

By back and forth, you mean front to back? Or side to side? (ex: bumper to swingarm as in back and forth and side to side as in shifter towards brake pedal)
i never replaced bearings in. The rear end before so im kinda lost. I know pretty much how to do it, i just dont know what it is exactly.
My buddys 450r did that and went side to side. We tightened the axle nut and it was fine.

Scro
03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
If it is moving side-to-side (shifter to pedal), you need to tighten your axle nut. Wrap this in electrical tape after you tighten it, so it doesn't come loose.

If the tires are moving front to back, your bearings are shot. Replacing the bearings is fairly simple.

- Remove right rear wheel and hub
- Remove brake caliper
- Loosen axle nut, and remove clip in the grooved part of axle.
- Remove axle nut, brake hub
- Take bolts out of sprocket

You can now remove the axle

- Remove retainer clip from brake stay, and the brake stay from carrier. The carrier will now slide out.

Now all you have to do is press the old bearings out and the new in, and put it back together. Probably an 1-1.5 hour job if you have all the right tools.

fearlessfred
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
if there is movement forward and back definitly replace i was wandering if when tightening the axle nut that u are not just tightening the nuts against each other use should loosen the two and tighten the one closest to the rotor first take up the play [do not over tighten] then tighten the two against each other

Scro
03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
if there is movement forward and back definitly replace i was wandering if when tightening the axle nut that u are not just tightening the nuts against each other use should loosen the two and tighten the one closest to the rotor first take up the play [do not over tighten] then tighten the two against each other

Good call.

fearlessfred
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
maybe ,but it old him wrong the inside nut is the jam nut and the outside is the one that is used to tighten sorry

whatchagondo45
03-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Scro

Okay, i found out most of the movement was in my hubs. They do not fit very tight so i tightened them. Seems to help a lot. The axle still moves up and down however. I tightened the axle nut correctly this time, and wrapped it im electrical tape. It still moves when i rock it side to side. With the rear end up on blocks, i can move the axle maybe 1/8th of an inch. On the ground, it moves tht much, maybe a little more. My chain is also kind of loose.
It does not move front to back or side to side. Only up and down opposing. Ex: left side is up, right side down. But it always springs back as if it is surrounded by rubber. Could this be the dust shield? Or the gasket? Just a hunch. I just really hope my carrier bearings arent garbage.

whatchagondo45
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Also, when i "tightened" the nut the first time i did just tighten the jam nut down and didnt actually do anything.
My bad.
I know how to do it correctly now.

fearlessfred
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
i would replace the bearings and not ruin your carrier and mabe your sprocket hub when u put it back together make sure u find out how much to tork it down and dont over tighten then use two wrenchs to tighten the jam nut against the other i think if u pull the chain off first u will see how much play u really have