PDA

View Full Version : LED light bar

jsracing2
03-17-2010, 05:20 AM
I am looking at an LED light bar from LSR. It show a pic of what looks like the front of a 250r, but says it needs to be with a DC battery powered system or on the trx450r.
Is the 250r a DC or AC system? and what are the amps/Volts that it puts out?

deathman53
03-17-2010, 08:46 AM
the 250r stock is ac, it is regulated to ~12-14v. The total system put out ~100w stock and you can get a 200w stator(needs different regulator). You can convert it to dc if so needed, you need to remove the regulator, remove the stator ac connection(yellow wire), run that to a reg/rec, other side of input to reg/rec goes to ground or ground wire from stator, now battery or capacitor in airbox connected the red wire of reg/rec t'ed off to the other side of the yellow stator wire connector and you need to proved a new ground for the devices from the back of reg/rec. I believe if you keep the stock ground, it will drain the battery.

troybilt
03-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
the 250r stock is ac, it is regulated to ~12-14v. The total system put out ~100w stock and you can get a 200w stator(needs different regulator). You can convert it to dc if so needed, you need to remove the regulator, remove the stator ac connection(yellow wire), run that to a reg/rec, other side of input to reg/rec goes to ground or ground wire from stator, now battery or capacitor in airbox connected the red wire of reg/rec t'ed off to the other side of the yellow stator wire connector and you need to proved a new ground for the devices from the back of reg/rec. I believe if you keep the stock ground, it will drain the battery.

Looking at this, would you agree the same setup could be used to run a radiator fan, vs. the LED lights? I was researching this morning, I found a fan kit for old KTM bikes, and they pretty much say the same as you to mount to an XC300 KTM 2 stroke bike. Apparently the old Katoom bikes overheated somewhat easily so there is a fan kit for $119 from KTM that could be adapted to a 250r easily => I think. I wonder if you'd even need the 200w stator? The are much smaller than a 450r fan since they are mounted on a dirt bike (not much room), but flow pretty good cfm 120-200... Comes with the temp switch, etc... might even come with the rectifier. Where do you get the reg/rec that you're talking about? Is this just a common radioshack type thing, cause I have access to a few OEM electronics suppliers to get higher quality stuff.

deathman53
03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
If its the same ktm fan kit as mine, headlight and led tail light, you will be over the 100w. The stock ktm fan draws near 3 amps. How ktm figured it was using a split system, ~100w AC and a ~20w DC for recharging the battery, which powers the e-start and fan. Many ktm owners complain about how the fans runs so much, that it drains the battery and they have to kick it. The ktm kit comes with a fan, bracket, temp sensor(screws into the threaded plug in the radiator) and short harness w/ 5 amp fuse. You will need to buy the reg/rec from baja designs, sicass or a similar place. BTW, ktm doesn't sell a kit for the older 2 strokes, they do for 00-07 rfs xc/exc's, 08+ exc/xc's and 08+ 2 stroke 250/300's. For the older bikes you have to use computer cooling fans zip-tied to the radiator and something to tell the temperature for you to manually turn it on or somehow put a normally closed sensor connecting the ground in the line to turn the fan on.

250Renvy
03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
The LSR light bar states it's only 38w.

I think it would be fine, but I hope you try this out and report back so I know if I want to run that or something else.

Troy - I'm still looking into it, but the gasgas has both a fan and high output light and working taillight and it doesn't have a battery.

Also Jon370R is running a YFZ450 fan on his 250R.

jsracing2
03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
The light bar is made by rigid industries. The lsr website does say 38, however the rigid site says 20. I'm probably going to upgrade to the Ricky stator200w and try to run a trail tech computer also. I have a lot to learn about the electrical stuff, but this is the last step in my build so I want to do it right. I can't stand rigging something up that looks horrible and is sketchy. Thanks for the info eveyone!

250Renvy
03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't have any experience with either, but I hear bad things about ricky stator's these days. I was going to upgrade to a 200w but use a Moose racing.

Something to look into - post pictures and maybe install progress if you can.

deathman53
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
it might have a capacitor in-place of the battery. Some of the 2 stroke ktm's have that on 2k3 ignitions for the cooling fan and accessories. The E-start 2 strokes have a batter in the airbox, non e-start has a capacitor.