PDA

View Full Version : cool head without head stay

88dunerider
03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
so ordered the cool head by pro design from rockymountainatv, got it today and it doesnt have the head stay mounts , you guys think this will be okay to run?? just dont want no broken motor mounts or anything

mfr422
03-17-2010, 12:11 AM
I.M.O. I wouldn't run without one, I know there's lots of opinions on this subject and mine is HONDA put it there for a reason and it's a main engine mount point so I would never run without it.

My advice is send it back and get one with a mount. Good luck and roost on!
:D

88dunerider
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
yess thats what i figured , when i bought the bike the there was no head stay connected up and when i took the motor out to restore it i noticed cracks in the lower motor mounts and figured it was from not having any bolt connecting it to the head and when i got the cool head today kinda made me wonder if i should throw it on or not , but yess will be sending it back for one with a head stay.

deathman53
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
They are sold with and w/o headstay mounts. Mine doesn't have a headstay mount, but again, I didn't use it that long and it was in a atc. I would personally get a headstay one, if I were to buy one. If you don't believe in them, just don't put the bolt between the coolhead and headstay.

All250R
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
They are sold with and w/o headstay mounts. Mine doesn't have a headstay mount, but again, I didn't use it that long and it was in a atc. I would personally get a headstay one, if I were to buy one. If you don't believe in them, just don't put the bolt between the coolhead and headstay.
When you do that by the way you can see how much flexing is going on by the wear marks the moving upper frame rails make when the headstay rubs against the head. Some people speculate this indicates a negative impact on the cylinder operation, some that the frame needs the support. If someone asks me my preference I say I'd rather trust the designers of the headstay.

destey
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by All250R
When you do that by the way you can see how much flexing is going on by the wear marks the moving upper frame rails make when the headstay rubs against the head. Some people speculate this indicates a negative impact on the cylinder operation, some that the frame needs the support. If someone asks me my preference I say I'd rather trust the designers of the headstay.

Guy I bought my 250r from said he personally saw several headstays crack. He said "you can put it on, but I've seen them break right off"

I work with engineers all the time, they're work isn't sacred they make mistakes continuously. Part revisions, redesigns, workarounds, failed parts. Why else would so many of the parts on the R be redesigned... a-arms, front brakes, swingarm, gussets, shocks, larger cylinders, cr250 ignition, yukon gears, 8 ball crank bearing, hinson clutch cover, 89 clutch update... I mean if everything was perfect you'd just order everything OEM

Your choice to run it or not, but know that piece has failed in the past taking the cylinder head down with it.

All250R
03-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by destey
Guy I bought my 250r from said he personally saw several headstays crack. He said "you can put it on, but I've seen them break right off"

I work with engineers all the time, they're work isn't sacred they make mistakes continuously. Part revisions, redesigns, workarounds, failed parts. Why else would so many of the parts on the R be redesigned... a-arms, front brakes, swingarm, gussets, shocks, larger cylinders, cr250 ignition, yukon gears, 8 ball crank bearing, hinson clutch cover, 89 clutch update... I mean if everything was perfect you'd just order everything OEM

Your choice to run it or not, but know that piece has failed in the past taking the cylinder head down with it.
If it is breaking that's probably an argument to run it. If it's breaking there, it's absorbing the stress that would have been transferred someone else more permanent in the frame. Honda has been using the headstay pretty religiously for a long time... just food for thought.

Burns310r
03-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by destey

You are correct, engineers do make mistakes. I know, cause im one.

Regarless i dont think the engineers of the 250r made any mistakes. The machine does exactly what it was supposed to do. Now if your wanting to professionally MX or XC or what ever then your going more extreme than the machine was designed to do.

The R was built to do it all in stock trim. And it does. Just my .02 and very off topic. Sorry. Just thought the engineers of th "R" deserved credit.

destey
03-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Burns310r

Regarless i dont think the engineers of the 250r made any mistakes.

:ermm: