PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

Prissy
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I have an '04 400EX, bone stock, low hours, never abused. After washing and blowing off excess water with blower I started it to dry any remaining water and upon revving motor I noticed a noise. It is something between a click and a clunk (almost like a tap, not an exhaust pop), but only when engine is revved and only one noise/click/tap at a time, at the start of revving. It can occur on consecutive revs, but doesn't always. There also seems to me to be excessive bearing noise, but I suppose this could be normal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

paganmac_10
03-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Could just be a lil play in your timing chain??????

jcs003
03-17-2010, 02:30 AM
also, could be your valve lash. just readjust your valves and see if thats the problem.

Metrickid
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Not tryin to hijack this thread by any means but maybe this will help. I also had the same sort of noise and really heard the valves 'ticking' alot under heavy load - doing some donuts at higher RPM etc.

I tore into my bike, adjusted the valves, and now it is much quieter and seems to be a little more throttle responsive.

My question is - Would adjusting the valves .004 intake and .005 Exhaust...cause it to really run like crap until it gets warm? It pops alot more backfires and sputters much worse than it ever has. Now i also have to put the choke lever all the way up to get it running which i never had to do before.

Any help or insight would be great. I was almost contemplating tearing it apart again and putting the valves a little looser, was just a little worried.

Thanks in advance!

lester985
03-17-2010, 04:14 PM
what kind of cam do u have

Prissy
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Cam is stock Honda. Everything is stock save the twist throttle which was installed by dealer when purchased (new/1st owner).

Plan to clean/replace air cleaner first, then look into valves/camchain. The noise is more mechanical sounding than breathing, if that makes sense. Camchain play seems like a possibility.