PDA

View Full Version : shocks and bodys?

woodsracer144
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
ok so whats a normal shock length? 16 inchs for ST and about 17-183/4 for LT? what about when it comes to shock bodys? are they all about the same size or are some longer? is there a ratio of how long your body should be to the length of the shock shaft?

thanks

deathman53
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Long Travel really should be called Long Body, the shafts are a very similar length, just the bodies and springs are longer and travel is very close also. Your shock only can compress so much before it bottoms out the frame and ST is right at that point. The main reasons for Long Body shocks is it is easier to valve, more oil, springs can be better tailored to your needs and it performs more consistent(due to more oil and bigger bottles to reduce heat fading).

woodsracer144
03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
Long Travel really should be called Long Body, the shafts are a very similar length, just the bodies and springs are longer and travel is very close also. Your shock only can compress so much before it bottoms out the frame and ST is right at that point. The main reasons for Long Body shocks is it is easier to valve, more oil, springs can be better tailored to your needs and it performs more consistent(due to more oil and bigger bottles to reduce heat fading).

so if i would have to have custom shocks made longer then 18 how would afeller do that?

03-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
so if i would have to have custom shocks made longer then 18 how would afeller do that?

You don't have to have shocks "custom made". "Long travel" shocks are routinely 18.5 to 19.25 inches long.

woodsracer144
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 8686
You don't have to have shocks "custom made". "Long travel" shocks are routinely 18.5 to 19.25 inches long.

what about in off road go cars/ buggys? what are those... i know there not 18-19... im not saying i need the 24's like that are on the trucks...

03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
what about in off road go cars/ buggys? what are those... i know there not 18-19... im not saying i need the 24's like that are on the trucks...

Honestly, what the hell ARE you saying?

D Bergstrom
03-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Some of the truck shocks are 40", you going to mount those to your quad? I guess I am with 8686, what exactly are you trying to figure out? About the longest shocks I have seen for the front of a quad are 21". There is alot of calculating that goes on when trying to figure out what extended length and compressed length shocks you need. A-arm geometry, bottomed out frame height, extended frame height, etc. You can not just bolt on a long set of shocks and expect them to work. So what exactly are you trying to do?

Doug

woodsracer144
03-17-2010, 09:30 PM
its for that 250x im redoing, i think i might have to run shocks longer then 19.25.... i hope i dont but i think i might have to...

deathman53
03-18-2010, 08:26 AM
are you kidding??? stock a 250x had shocks that were nearly the same length as a blaster, smaller bodies and shafts than most honda sport atv's also. To put "regular" length shocks on a 250x/300ex you had to bolt/weld in a shock re-location bracket, does anybody make a-arms that are long body for it? I know 400ex and 250r a-arms fit. As others said, you can't just bolt on any shock, the amount of travel, leverage ratio, rider weight, riding style and rider ability are a big factor.

woodsracer144
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
thus the reason im asking the questions about this, im not finished with the chassis yet so im not totally sure, i have to make shock towers and the adjustable tower bolt things... and then i'll know.