PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Toyota

jcv400ex
03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Looking to buy a Toyota? Check out the new Toyota simulator before you buy!

Click here (http://toyotasimulator.com/)

FourFiftyFour
03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
fail.

repost =P

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
if i had the money i'd buy a new toyota right now!

TGW_400ex
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I'd still buy one Obama isn't scaring me.

tbrackman84
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
I'd still buy one Obama isn't scaring me.

lmao, i love your logic man, im pretty sure we are seeing things the exact same way, lol

johnnyquad17
03-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Every manufacture has and will have recalls. I have had three Toyotas and a Lexus and I have had 0 problems with any of them. My Tacoma had 150,000 miles when I sold it for 10,200 and my 4 Runner had 98,000 miles when I sold it for 12,900. My current rides 07 Tundra 40,000 miles and new Lexus RX350 have had no issues. I personally have had bad luck with Ford (Mustang)
and Dodge (Ram truck). If I was in the market I would jump on the deals that Toyota is offering right now.

tbrackman84
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
my dad had a 98 toyot tacoma 4 cylinder sr5 that had 290,000 miles on it. he cracked the frame, but the engine was still running strong, go toyota!

Quad18star
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
my dad had a 98 toyot tacoma 4 cylinder sr5 that had 290,000 miles on it. he cracked the frame, but the engine was still running strong, go toyota!

My neighbour had a Tacoma that had the rusting frame problem. Toyota gave him $17 000 CDN for the truck. I've had a few recalls and repairs done under warranty and they never gave me any problems. Toyota replaced my front differential because I could feel a slight vibration .... they swapped it out no questions asked.

TGW_400ex
03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
My neighbour had a Tacoma that had the rusting frame problem. Toyota gave him $17 000 CDN for the truck. I've had a few recalls and repairs done under warranty and they never gave me any problems. Toyota replaced my front differential because I could feel a slight vibration .... they swapped it out no questions asked.

My 99 was recalled and is got 13,000 and I bought it for 7,000 3 years before. They also replaced my leaf springs on my 08 because they squeaked.

coryatver
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
no way I would buy one or let any loved ones step in one of those death mobiles

TGW_400ex
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
no way I would buy one or let any loved ones step in one of those death mobiles

http://247wallst.com/2010/03/02/gms-turn-company-recalls-1-3-million-cars/

http://carrecalls.blogspot.com/2010/02/pontiac-vibe-recall-pontiac-vibe-gas.html

Maybe you should listen to more than just the news. :rolleyes: I find it hilarious that Pontiacs have a gas pedal problem also but noone has heard about it. Oh wait it makes sense the government owns Pontiac....

jcv400ex
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by FourFiftyFour
fail.

repost =P

Isn't there any CBR forums?! :macho :p

CJM
03-18-2010, 06:54 PM
You think the toyotas are having problems, but I find it funny NO ONE seems to be talking about:

-Pontiacs gas pedal problem
-Chryslers engine management system shutting off while driving (making your car go dead)
-GM security issue problems from like 95-present (disables your starter or fuel pump leaving you stranded)
- Ford Windstars back axle setup CRACKING in half
-GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer cps module failing and leaving you stranded.

Im a mechanic and lemme tell anyone who thinks toyota (and honda and even hyundai and nissan) is junk and unamerican: They are built here for us, by us using US and jap made parts, assembled by non union workers who take pride in there job and dont make tons of cash for simple jobs (see below to understand).

Your avg american car is assembled here but the parts come mostly from mexico and canada in some cases and the union workers who put 1 trim piece on all day make 80k a year...

So what the cars have issues, all cars have issues (some more than others). But people are mostly the problem. If you put it into neutral or hold down the start button THE GAS DONT WORK AND THE BRAKES DO! People panic and lose it and frig up.

So yea toyotas might have a gas pedal recall, yea the frames are rusting (mostly due to that newer liquid stuff they are spraying imho). But being that I am a mechanic and have been wrenching on cars since I am kid and im 25 now and I grew up in a shop-I refuse to buy anything besides a Ford or a Japanese car. Hyundai is more reliable than a Chevy or a Dodge even, isnt that sad when the koreans (sorry to offend anyone if ya are) who usually play second fiddle to the japs build a better car than we can??

There is a reason toyota vehicles hold thier values, same reason ford trucks are worth alot more than chevy or dodge.

TGW_400ex
03-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You think the toyotas are having problems, but I find it funny NO ONE seems to be talking about:

-Chryslers engine management system shutting off while driving (making your car go dead)
-GM security issue problems from like 95-present (disables your starter or fuel pump leaving you stranded)

Im a mechanic and lemme tell anyone who thinks toyota (and honda and even hyundai and nissan) is junk and unamerican: They are built here for us, by us using US and jap made parts, assembled by non union workers who take pride in there job and dont make tons of cash for simple jobs (see below to understand).

Your avg american car is assembled here but the parts come mostly from mexico and canada in some cases and the union workers who put 1 trim piece on all day make 80k a year...

So what the cars have issues, all cars have issues (some more than others). But people are mostly the problem. If you put it into neutral or hold down the start button THE GAS DONT WORK AND THE BRAKES DO! People panic and lose it and frig up.

So yea toyotas might have a gas pedal recall, yea the frames are rusting (mostly due to that newer liquid stuff they are spraying imho). But being that I am a mechanic and have been wrenching on cars since I am kid and im 25 now and I grew up in a shop-I refuse to buy anything besides a Ford or a Japanese car. Hyundai is more reliable than a Chevy or a Dodge even, isnt that sad when the koreans (sorry to offend anyone if ya are) who usually play second fiddle to the japs build a better car than we can??

There is a reason toyota vehicles hold thier values, same reason ford trucks are worth alot more than chevy or dodge.

This is the truth people! My dad is also a mechanic and guess what he drives.... a japanese truck. I have a friend that has an 04 f-150 and its on like its 5th fuel pump!? :eek2: That is rediculous.

Napalm Nate
03-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by CJM

x2
couldnt have said it better myself when the media gets a hold of something they run with it just to make headlines and scare the crap out of people

tt racer
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I had a 2002 tundra 4x4 trd v8 and got 160,000 miles on it and only replaced serpintine belt, brakes, and a u-joint. It ran like a top would love to buy a 2010 tundra 4x4 but im laid off. All manufactures have recalls and this is serious but will be fixed and made right. So if anyone says ooooh toyota is all bad well your so closed minded and really havent paid attention to your surroundings such as the auto manufacturing as a whole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

jcv400ex
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
The problem I have with Toyota's recall....it's electronic and they can't replicate the error. Can't rely on a computer to do everything...they're not reliable.

Give me back my cable operated gas petal attached to a Holley 4 barrel....and my clutch pedal too please!

TGW_400ex
03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
The problem I have with Toyota's recall....it's electronic and they can't replicate the error. Can't rely on a computer to do everything...they're not reliable.

Give me back my cable operated gas petal attached to a Holley 4 barrel....and my clutch pedal too please!

Every car car manufacturer is heading this route so you should have a problem with new cars in general...

trx310R#24
03-25-2010, 01:16 AM
good luck. i wouldnt get in one... hope you can live with hurting yourself or someone else...

TGW_400ex
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
good luck. i wouldnt get in one... hope you can live with hurting yourself or someone else...

Apparently you haven't read anything in this thread.

beastlywarrior
03-25-2010, 08:33 AM
be a man and buy a chevy:D :macho

rollie
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior

:muscle: :p

coryatver
03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
http://247wallst.com/2010/03/02/gms-turn-company-recalls-1-3-million-cars/

http://carrecalls.blogspot.com/2010/02/pontiac-vibe-recall-pontiac-vibe-gas.html

Maybe you should listen to more than just the news. :rolleyes: I find it hilarious that Pontiacs have a gas pedal problem also but noone has heard about it. Oh wait it makes sense the government owns Pontiac....

Pontiacs gas pedal problem is Toyota's. The Pontiac Vibe is made by Toyota it is the same thing as the Toyota Matrix.

GMs steering recall is for 14 incidents not 60 DEATHS like Toyota's. And I bet they are not going to just replace the steering wheel cover to try and cover it up like Toyota did with the floor mats

jcv400ex
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Every car car manufacturer is heading this route so you should have a problem with new cars in general...
That's fine with me. I'll keep driving my late model cars

TGW_400ex
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Pontiacs gas pedal problem is Toyota's. The Pontiac Vibe is made by Toyota it is the same thing as the Toyota Matrix.

GMs steering recall is for 14 incidents not 60 DEATHS like Toyota's. And I bet they are not going to just replace the steering wheel cover to try and cover it up like Toyota did with the floor mats

I just don't understand how you can stick up for car companies that can even sustain themselves. GM couldn't even afford a major recall like Toyota is doing right now. They would have to shut down.

Try to blame this recall on Toyota.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/18/autos/chrysler_recall/

usp4u
03-26-2010, 06:47 AM
go for it!

check out my new Toyota keyboarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quad18star
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
go for it!

check out my new Toyota keyboarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lmao !!

I shot myself in the foot the other day. My buddy cuts me down (jokingly)all the time for owning a Toyota . So the other day I was out shopping and bought his 2 1/2 year old a Tonka Tow truck for him to play with. I bought it specifically because when you puch the little sound button is says " Tonka Toyota on route " . So I get to their place and we start talking about the gas peddle issue while his son is playing with the toy. He's still cutting me down , and I tell his son to press the sound button and for my buddy to listen closely to waht is says. His kid pushes the buttom .. but the god damn thing stayed stuck in the downwards position so it kept repeating the recorded message over and over again. He still won't let me forget about it ....he tells me he's waiting on Toyota to issue a recall on their Tonka toys now. :macho

destey
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
My 2003 Silverado 2500 is DBW (drive by wire) and I've never been a fan of it. Many guys in the forums talk about converting back even before this latest toyota scandal. Just too many things can go wrong.

1. Accelerator pedal position bad output
2. Throttle blade motor malfunction
3. Blade sensor malfunction

At least with cable you can feel the throttle stick if it does. DBW you have no input. Throttle body on my Silverado got all caked with dirt/oil and the blade sticking. The only way I found it was by a tip from someone off the internet whereas with cable I would have felt it as it deteriorated.

I do a lot of ECM tuning and there's systems in place for some error checking but it's not 100% (not anywhere close)

honda4life72
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
shoot my 91 toyota 4x4 is just about to roll over to the 300,000 mark. and it gets hell and keeps on goin. never had a problem just regular maitience

CJM
03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
220k on my 96 T100, never an issue. I watched my friends 98 chevy rot away and my friends dodge blow 3 transmissions, strangely enough 285k and one of my ford work vans still ticks on, same with the one I drive for work cept the trans finally went (bad pump) but it has 250k.

FWIW as a mechanic, GM and Dodge make horrible vehicles, I will acknowledge GM can make some nice trucks circa 1997 and earlier tho-but overall stuff dont last, out of all the big 3 Ford is the most reliable and well built.

most of the deaths caused by the pedal thing has to do with idiots panicking. It wouldnt have mattered if it was DBW or a cable, idiots are idiots. I can personally vouch that you can shift the car into neutral or shut it off while moving and the pedal dont work period and the car slows down cause it has no power.

destey
03-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by CJM

most of the deaths caused by the pedal thing has to do with idiots panicking. It wouldnt have mattered if it was DBW or a cable, idiots are idiots. I can personally vouch that you can shift the car into neutral or shut it off while moving and the pedal dont work period and the car slows down cause it has no power.

Agreed. Brakes are always designed to overcome the engine even at WOT. They tell you in drivers ed if the throttle sticks or engine races out of control just slam the brakes.

CJM
03-27-2010, 08:45 PM
hell they could pull the e-brake as well or slam the shifter into get park or reverse (instant trans failure) which will make your car stop.

Course people "claim" that it doesnt do anything when they try that stuff. Im not convinced, I say they panicked.

Also apparently it may be caused by rogue radiowaves or something, I heard a blurb about it the other day on the radio.

tbrackman84
03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior

yeah becasue they did G-R-R-R-R-R-R-REAT without the government's help. I'd buy a TOYOTA, ford, honda, even a damn kia over a new GM (Government Motors). I drive a 92 chevy pick-up but at least that's when then were somewhat respectable. It's not toyota's fault they are kicking GM's *** all over the place!

tt racer
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Toyota will be just fine dont worry about that. Gm, ford, dodge need to step up quality even more to compete. I hope they can cause it is sad to see this but their reputation is their fault on the quality end!

Quad18star
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I ahve my father-inlaw and mother inlaw convinced to buy a Tundra. :D

My best friend is trying to convince her husband ....

I'm slowly converting my inner circle to Toyota. muahaha:blah:

jcv400ex
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I ahve my father-inlaw and mother inlaw convinced to buy a Tundra. :D

My best friend is trying to convince her husband ....

I'm slowly converting my inner circle to Toyota. muahaha:blah: Canadians....:o

Quad18star
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Canadians....:o

Hey ... you can't blame us , we gotta buy vehicles that are made in Canada.

:cool: