View Full Version : yf250f's are they any good?

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2010, 07:29 PM
i got a hit on a trade for my 400ex today. Its an 06 yz250f, blue and white with a blue frame. It seems to be in good condition, the guy is looking for a racing quad and saw mine online local. Is this a good trade? Are they mechanically good bikes? Im completely new to dirt bikes, ive ridden a few, last one i rode was a 450 a few years ago

EDIT: i know the title is wrong lol

jesseweaver
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
that sounds like a good trade especially if its straight up. most people say the 06 yz250fs are the best 250fs of that year, and i agree. thats the first year they came with the aluminum frame and a few other changes. the steel frame ones (05 and below) felt really top heavy and didn't handle as good. the 06s and newer are solid bikes. great handling/suspension and excellent reliability. maybe not the fastest of the 250fs but its not far behind. it has smooth controlable power it just doesn't hit as hard. you won't regret it if you get it!

my 06 yzf250

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/DSCN2500.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/DSCN2497.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/DSCN1626.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/DSCN1619.jpg

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
just the kind of answer im looking for. My g/f already hates the idea lol (she knows how i am when i ride) but i told her this one will take a little getting used to lol

jesseweaver
03-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
just the kind of answer im looking for. My g/f already hates the idea lol (she knows how i am when i ride) but i told her this one will take a little getting used to lol

yea the first ride or so might be a little frustrating but once you get used to it, you'll never wanna go back!

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
my whole thing is the twist throttle, just getting used to it will be my problem. I have good balance on one and such, just the twist throttle gets to me. Ill never put a thumb on it though so i have no choice but to like it

jesseweaver
03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
my whole thing is the twist throttle, just getting used to it will be my problem. I have good balance on one and such, just the twist throttle gets to me. Ill never put a thumb on it though so i have no choice but to like it

yea it takes a little but once you get used to that too you'll feel like you have a lot better control. its still bites you in the *** every now and then though lol. the other day i was just ripping around the small field in our back yard and got a little too much bite with the rear tire coming out of a turn and i slid back on the seat and the front wheel came up a little and i grabbed a good handful of throttle and 12 o'clocked it quicker than i could comprehend what happened.

and i put a nice gash in my knee from that. everyone says how crashing a quad is a lot worse because it comes and chases you down and i agree it is, but theres not much worse than sliding out in a turn and laying the bike over with your leg under it. imagine sliding along the dirt, top of 3rd gear, with your leg being crushed/dragged by a 220lb bike. not fun

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yea it takes a little but once you get used to that too you'll feel like you have a lot better control. its still bites you in the *** every now and then though lol. the other day i was just ripping around the small field in our back yard and got a little too much bite with the rear tire coming out of a turn and i slid back on the seat and the front wheel came up a little and i grabbed a good handful of throttle and 12 o'clocked it quicker than i could comprehend what happened.

and i put a nice gash in my knee from that. everyone says how crashing a quad is a lot worse because it comes and chases you down and i agree it is, but theres not much worse than sliding out in a turn and laying the bike over with your leg under it. imagine sliding along the dirt, top of 3rd gear, with your leg being crushed/dragged by a 220lb bike. not fun

lol well that description didnt change my mind any about it, i think im cut out for one. Thanks lol

jesseweaver
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
lol well that description didnt change my mind any about it, i think im cut out for one. Thanks lol

haha good i wasn't tryin too. crashes suck either way, bike or quad. yea well live and learn

rcer450r
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I bought a crf450 over this past summer and love it. I have never owned a bike and decided to go all or nothing ;) once you get used to it you will love it. You wont like the arm pump it gives ya though :P haha

250x_kyle
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver

my buddy did that with his 450f with a new tire but it grabed and pulled him in lol. he walked a little funny for a day or so.

KXRida
03-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't hesitate buying a yz250f. I liked mine. Motor was reliable. Never had any issues with it. Very smooth and controllable power. Pulls all the way to the top end. Suspension out of the box is pretty darn good for a stock bike, but set it up to the rider and you have an awesome bike. I still had the steel framed yzfs, but the aluminum framed ones handle awesome. Personally I like my kxf better, but that's just me. It has a lot more mid range hit as well as over rev up top, which is mainly where a 250f should be ridden. Handling wise the kxf is loads better than my yzf, but I'm still waiting to get my suspension back from PR2.

First few rides will be a little rough to get used to. Keep in mind, almost everybody sits too far back on a dirt bike when you first start riding. Keep your body position neutral almost on the tank and go from there. Most of all, use that clutch on the 250f and let her eat!

mineralgrey01gt
03-18-2010, 11:35 AM
thanks everyone! Im waiting to hear back from him on Sunday. He has someone that was suppose to buy it but if he doesnt pick it up, sunday im making the drive to pick it up. I think even if i sell my 400ex im going to pick up a dirtbike anyways. I kinda want one

Dan_Guetter
03-18-2010, 12:01 PM
My YZ250f rips with this new HMFer!

Sounds like a 450 now :)

mineralgrey01gt
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
damn i like how yours looks. I love white dirtbikes. How is that HMF? thats what ill be running on mine, that same exact one.

Dan_Guetter
03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
The HMF pipe rocks!

KXRida
03-18-2010, 10:33 PM
glad you got good results with your hmf. I didn't care for mine. Gave little to no performance gain and ended up being retardedly loud. Went with a wb carbon pro full system and couldn't have been happier.

Honda400exrox
03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
It would probably be the best thing to do if you are goin for a bike...my good friend bought an 07 YZ250F it was previously owned by tommy Hoffmaster and it was set up for supercross...he changed the suspension and gearing, he raced outdoor motocross all summer with it in the junior class and never had a single issue, it has been a very reliable bike for him, I personally have ridden it a couple of times and the power is very usable and it is an easy bike to throw around I recently sold my CR250r because i am joining the Canadian armed forces but when I get back am probably going to consider buying a 250F because they are just a good all around bike to ride especially on a track

chucked
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't get one. My friend had one, bam three years later he got herpes.

mineralgrey01gt
03-20-2010, 02:40 PM
well guys im picking it up in the morning, i cant wait!!!

ROLLIN
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Hey just a heads-up, if it has a blue frame then it's probably a steel frame instead of aluminum which mean it's an 2005 or less. Which would hold alot less resale value than a 06.

mineralgrey01gt
03-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm checking it out in the morning. I'm betting it the aluminum frame was powdercoated. If not then I'll still get it probably. I just want a bike now

mineralgrey01gt
03-21-2010, 06:37 AM
What's the difference between the wr250f and the yz250f? Is one set up for trails and the other for mx? If this is a wr250f can I convert it to an aluminum frame? Also will the plastics off a yz250f fit on it? I've been comparing them and it "looks" like the only real difference is the plastics and the headlight which would mean the harness is different. Do they have the same power?

KXRida
03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Post up some pics!!! Frame wise 05 will be different for sure. It's pretty easy to spot the difference between them and the styling, so I wouldn't worry about it being older than an 06.

There are some slight differences between the wrf and yzf. Wrf has a wider ratio transmission, slight less degreeing of cams, fairly restrictive exhaust compared to the yzf (the hot deal is to put yzf cams and exhaust on the wrfs), different springs/gearing, then the normal headlight/tail light changes. I'd still opt for a yzf.

woodsracer144
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
sweet! get any seat time?

mineralgrey01gt
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Well I didn't get it... Drove 4 hrs for nothing. He said that he didn't want a bike he had to work on which I toldhim about and it's a 10 min fix. Also the bike isn't an 06 its older than that. It was in kinda rough shape, actually glad I didn't get that one, it wasn't what I was told

KXRida
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Keep looking around. I picked up my 08 for $2650. $2800 after title transfer.

mineralgrey01gt
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm gonna keep looking. I fixed the leak already, took 10 min to fixnow it's like new. Didn't know I was dealing with high school kids when u got there. I'll never do that again

mineralgrey01gt
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rpfeifer11
Was it 4 hours total or one way? I would have freaked out if it was one way. There is nothing wrong with dealing with highschool kids. I have done probably over 50 deals with no problems.

no its highschool kids who think they know what they are looking at. One tried telling me the cases were cracked. I got it home today, did what I told them to do, guess what, not a leak of oil anywheres on the bike and now and i put new pads all the way around. They lied to me about the bike and said it was in great shape. Sorry but a rusted frame with FACTORY COATING on it doesnt mean "TIP TOP SHAPE" as they told me. The frame was also dented and the bike looked like complete crap. I asked for pics all week but they would never send them. I learned my lesson about dealing with people like that. If you want my honest opinion, the bike looked like it was around an 04 model or older. If its an 05 all i have to say is damn, it had one rough life.

Yes, one way was 4 hours. THen got a ticket on the way home. What a lovely day yesterday was.

mineralgrey01gt
03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
you are very right. If they would have just sent the pics I would have never even made the trip up there. I also have dealt with the younger crowd and had very good transactions. I told them everything that was wrong with it before i got up there but they didnt want to change a bolt out on the engine (which was the whole problem)

chucked
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Happened to me when I was supposed to trade my old lt250r... I got pics and everything, but I didn't know the pics were several years old.... I drove about 3 hours one way I think.... Could have been more...

ROLLIN
03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
i did that too. found a "mint" 250r all stock back in 04, said it was never out of third gear, still had the stock plastic piece on the handlebars... so i drove 4 hours one way, and got a ticket cause we were quad talkin and not paying attention. the quad was junk, it been ridden everyday for the last 15 years in the back yard, every single bearing and rubber seal was long gone. it looked pretty good from a distance but the only thing worth saving would have been fouth and fifth gear, so i went back home and bought a new yfz. ha, lesson learned!

mineralgrey01gt
03-25-2010, 05:49 AM
It sucks when dealing with people like that but it's a life lesson learned. Now I'm really just trying to sell it outright. I found another bike much closer