PDA

View Full Version : 250x motor

fox400ex08
03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
just got done puttin a 87 250x motor together, got the head redone and new rings, sometimes its hard to kick start it what cold cause this. and i looked in the book for vavle adj. and i did what it said to do and they still tick wondering if u guys could help me out

honda250xrider
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
It has been years since i owned one. But I do remember my valves always had a tick. with my stock motors all the way to my modified motors they always had a slight tick. The hard start could be due to whoever redid your head could of decked it raising the compression. or your decompression lever is not functioning right. By chance did you swap pistons?

on a side note i had a 13:5 compression on my old motor and removed the decompression lever. needless to say i could stand on the kickstart and it would hold me up.

fox400ex08
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
same piston, took the head to the shop to have new valves put in and seated them, i hopned the cly. and put new rings in, it starts pretty easy but then the kicker is really hard to kick, im pretty sure there in nothing wrong with the motor cuss it started right up when i got it back in

honda250xrider
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
when you kick over the motor is the decompression lever moving? it may not be opening all the way to relieve the compression.

when you adjusted your valves did you make sure you had it on the right stroke?

fox400ex08
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
yes the decomp. lever is moving i adj. the cable on top of the motor gunna go to the other side of the cable and adj. more, am i right the tighter the cable is he more it will pull on the lever. and im pretty sure the motor was in the right pos. tdc, i checked both ways and the other way the lifter was tight and the right way they was loose to i adj. acoring to the book

honda250xrider
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
the only thing i can think of if these are not the problem is; you may not be used to the added force needed to kick over the motor, if the valves were not sealing properly then air/fuel mixture could have been bleeding out of the valves which would cause a much easier kick.