PDA

View Full Version : Play in my precision..

Jim417mx
03-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Bought a used precision (which was my mistake in the first place because the warranty doesnt trasnfer) but it was awesome the first few rides.. then I noticed a slight loss in steering stability... and almost ate a haybail in the whoops... I pulled off the track and I lifted the front end up on a jackstand and you can turn the handlebars left and right there there is about 2-3" of play before it grabs in either direction. It feels like a loose steering stem nut if you know what I mean. So I took it off and it feels fine off the bike, I put it back on, and made sure all the clamps and stuff were tight, and I encountered the same problems. Precision said its only about $100 to rebuild it, but has anybody else encounted this problem? Also the adjustment knobs dont work as well either...

Scro
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Are you sure the linkage doesn't have play in it? It's a common problem, just not 2-3" like you are talking about.

Jim417mx
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
with the quad in the air, and the wheels off the ground, i can grab the handlebars and turn them 2-3" each way before the stabilizer takes effect... or I can grab the actual tires and move them back and forth 2-3". The only part I dont understand is I'm 100% sure all my linkages and clamps are tight, and when I took the stabilizer off the quad I didnt notice any play and it felt fine... I will look into it further when I get home.

duke416ex
03-18-2010, 01:57 PM
There are other companies that will service the dampner cheaper and can check it for a full rebuild. I serviced mine on my own, it takes a little time but can be done.

414tinner
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM
I dont know if I have ever seen a precission wear out. I bet it is just the linkage. Here is a link to Dirtworks Motorsports. They make replacement linkages that last much longet than the original.

http://dirtworksmotorsports.com/