PDA

View Full Version : DRR OEM Slipper Sprockets

#404's Dad
03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Ok, I have a couple factory OEM DRR slipper sprockets here and I am curious as to what you guys that run them do with them?

What Torque do you run them at, do you Blast all the Paint off the surfaces blah blah blah?

What Teeth are available, any or will I need to cut my own?

Coley'sdad#8
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
torque to 95 ft. lbs , put anti seize on the threads so your nut doesnt bind when your threads get muddy / rusty.
any faying surfaces in contact with fibre should be clean , no paint and slightly rough, 100 grit or so. just changed one that has been on there about a year and looked good. dont know what other tooth sizes but we have just run the 19

#404's Dad
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
torque to 95 ft. lbs , put anti seize on the threads so your nut doesnt bind when your threads get muddy / rusty.
any faying surfaces in contact with fibre should be clean , no paint and slightly rough, 100 grit or so. just changed one that has been on there about a year and looked good. dont know what other tooth sizes but we have just run the 19

Thanks Chris

Logan #34's Dad
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey Corey, The DRR slipper only comes as a 19. However, the Apex one is a 20. I believe they are exactly the same but not positive.
I've always torqued Logan's to 98ish. I've heard of ppl going to 105, My thinking is: I want mine to slip some to save the gears. This current one has been on the quad for almost 2 years. You can buy replacement disks from DRR too. I'll be running one on the 70 and one on the 90 this year.
FYI, I carry the torque wrench with me to the staging area just to make sure..... We lost a 90 overall win last year because I forgot to torque the "other" slipper brand before hand. She loosened up and the quad would not go anywhere. Never again. LOL

#404's Dad
03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Hey Corey, The DRR slipper only comes as a 19. However, the Apex one is a 20. I believe they are exactly the same but not positive.
I've always torqued Logan's to 98ish. I've heard of ppl going to 105, My thinking is: I want mine to slip some to save the gears. This current one has been on the quad for almost 2 years. You can buy replacement disks from DRR too. I'll be running one on the 70 and one on the 90 this year.
FYI, I carry the torque wrench with me to the staging area just to make sure..... We lost a 90 overall win last year because I forgot to torque the "other" slipper brand before hand. She loosened up and the quad would not go anywhere. Never again. LOL

Cool, thanks for the tips Rocky

cole shake 32
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Like rocky said make sure you check it every heat and I set mine at 105 and put on a new one every 4 or 5 races

dericsdad
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
105 ft. lbs works great on our 90.

One sprocket and two sets of fibers per year for us.

I like to clean all of the paint off the surfaces where the discs ride. i also put 3 or 4 angle grooves on both sides of the discs to help them "clean out" using a coping file.

Take it apart and clean it good/lightly sand the surfaces like you do your clutch shoes and bell and it will keep working great.

Dan.

Logan #34's Dad
03-17-2010, 04:21 AM
For what its worth, I simply bolted mine on and never removed it. recently I did take it off and the pads were cracked up. I did not have any other pads to I put them back together like a puzzle and ran an indoor practice on Sunday w/ no issues.

#404's Dad
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone :)

EthansDad
03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
on the torque settings, I think the power your motor makes should determine your torque settings on the slipper. Case in point, we run a mostly stock 2010 70cc that I have been torquing at 105. Last race, we broke a tranny gear, snapped one tooth clean off in the whoops.

I'd say for underpowered bikes (50, stock 70s) try 95ft/lbs, and for more heavily mod bikes/90s try 105. I'll be running 95 from now on for sure on our 50/70s.

-EA

nastynotchback1
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
on the torque settings, I think the power your motor makes should determine your torque settings on the slipper. Case in point, we run a mostly stock 2010 70cc that I have been torquing at 105. Last race, we broke a tranny gear, snapped one tooth clean off in the whoops.

I'd say for underpowered bikes (50, stock 70s) try 95ft/lbs, and for more heavily mod bikes/90s try 105. I'll be running 95 from now on for sure on our 50/70s.

-EA

So that's what all the noise was on the last lap.

EthansDad
03-18-2010, 12:38 PM
yup, clan-kitty clank clank! just luck he made it to the checker. got video of him just looking down at his motor most of the last lap. Also lucky that lose gear tooth did not wedge into the gears and split the cases!

-EA

nastynotchback1
03-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
yup, clan-kitty clank clank! just luck he made it to the checker. got video of him just looking down at his motor most of the last lap. Also lucky that lose gear tooth did not wedge into the gears and split the cases!

-EA

Glad to hear it didn't hurt to much.see yall sat.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I just picked up a DRR slipper for our 2008 DRR 90.
Problem...... the output shaft does not seem to be long enough to accommodate all the components of the slipper sprocket. At most i am getting 4 threads on the nut when i get it all tightened down. The nut hangs half off the end of the shaft.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Anyone run into this before?

Thanks

edwardsp&b
05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Been there, done that, and Im sorry to say got the T-shirt! Last set i changed for Ben, when i took it apart, it fell out in pieces. Ive been torquing to 105 and not had problems. But i know that alot of people like to torque at 95ft/lbs.

BTW that race is not this weekend Eric, I'm always getting my dates mixed up!
bryan

#404's Dad
05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by magna-007
I just picked up a DRR slipper for our 2008 DRR 90.
Problem...... the output shaft does not seem to be long enough to accommodate all the components of the slipper sprocket. At most i am getting 4 threads on the nut when i get it all tightened down. The nut hangs half off the end of the shaft.
Thoughts and suggestions?
Anyone run into this before?

Thanks

Do you have the specific thinner slipper sprocket nut on there? DRR has two thickness of that specific nut as well, ran into this a few weeks ago.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
No, its definitly the tall/thicker nut that i have seen. I looked at half a dozen others and all have thinner nut.
But even with the thinner nut, i dont think it would be flush with the shaft after all tightened down. Just doesnt seem to be enough room.

What did you do to fix the problem?

#404's Dad
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Here is the break down of the nuts.

Thin Slipper Nut = 11.00 mm
Thick Slipper Nut = 13.75 mm
Standard Nut = 14.70 mm

The thin nut is what comes on the DRR Quad w/ a Slipper from DRR but when I ordered slippers separately they came with the Thick ones and they were too long for me, they hung off the end.

magna-007
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
With the thinner nut, how many threads would you say are holding it?
With the big thick nut, i am getting about 4 threads, maybe pushin 5.
If everything else about the slipper is the same, does it really matter then, what nut is being used? Its not a lock nut that i can tell.
I also knocked all the factory paint off the plate surfaces. I even took a 1/16 off the case end of the slipper on a lathe.
Dont know what else to do with it. Cant do much more or the chain will be out of alignment.

magna-007
05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I agree 95 psi should more than enough. A little math says....take a roughly 6 sq/in disc srface and with a torque of 90 ft/lbs should be equivalant to about 540 lbs of force to make the sproket slip. Am i thinking somewhat right on this with the rough numbers? This would make sense why guys runnin 110 lbs are still breakin trans gears. That would be 650 to 700 lbs of force before the sproket would slip. More than the gear teeth can handle? IMO :) Even if the kid landed a jump on the gas a bit i can imagine a roughly 200 lb object hitting the ground at 15 mph in a forward motion could generate 500 to 700 lbs of force on the drive train. Way over thought i know. :)

magna-007
05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
Here is the break down of the nuts.

Thin Slipper Nut = 11.00 mm
Thick Slipper Nut = 13.75 mm
Standard Nut = 14.70 mm

The thin nut is what comes on the DRR Quad w/ a Slipper from DRR but when I ordered slippers separately they came with the Thick ones and they were too long for me, they hung off the end. Microed the nut tonight and id say its the 13.75mm tall nut. after i cleand and debured parts i can get about 10mm of thread/nut engagement now. 6 to 7 threads roughly. Still hangs off shaft by 2 threads. But does that matter? Whats ur thoughts on using locktite on threads and torqueing to 90 lbs+/- ?

Coley'sdad#8
05-07-2010, 05:06 AM
you want full threads in the nut and you DON'T want loctite, I like to put anti seize on the threads because you want the nut to torque smoothly without losing ft lbs in thread bind. I torque to 95-97 ft lbs.

#404's Dad
05-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by magna-007
Microed the nut tonight and id say its the 13.75mm tall nut. after i cleand and debured parts i can get about 10mm of thread/nut engagement now. 6 to 7 threads roughly. Still hangs off shaft by 2 threads. But does that matter? Whats ur thoughts on using locktite on threads and torqueing to 90 lbs+/- ?

Just get the right/correct nut and be done with it imho, thats what I did, no reason to take chances.

magna-007
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Ive tried calling DRR twice now. Left messages both times.
Gonna try and get the 11mm nut like you said.
I think i can get it "almost" flush with the end of the shaft now.

Thanks for all your help guys. Appreciate it a lot.