PDA

View Full Version : New Elka's?

One_Bad_400
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Nelson running a new top secret elka, or have i missed a realease of something new? looks like the knob is on top. wonder whats so special about them

http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/itpquadcross/2010/01-dustin-nelson-yamaha-yfz450r-atv-jump.jpg

SRH
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
he rides for elka now?? or did he have shock problem and borrow someone elses shocks and rip the stickers off so he didnt get in a pickle

ATVMX33
03-16-2010, 06:25 AM
i dont think those are elka

extremeblastr
03-16-2010, 06:40 AM
nelson rides for elka now, along with justin noss and dunk and those are a new model of elka shocks not yet released to the public. the lack of stickers and info was supposed to help keep it hush hush about what they are but elka had a tech at quadcross in their box van attending to the riders mentioned above.

quadracer707
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I just asked Dunk how he liked them quote "Pretty Damn good"

Ken

extremeblastr
03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by quadracer707
I just asked Dunk how he liked them quote "Pretty Damn good"

Ken

bout time elka designed a shock you didn't need an amazing suspension guy to get dialed in properly that is as long as they get the same reviews from the public.

FHKracingZ
03-17-2010, 05:47 AM
No offence but of course dunk is gonna say they are good, hes getting paid to say that lol. :)

Mean250r
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
PEP and Axis over elka all day.

One_Bad_400
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Mean250r
PEP and Axis over elka all day.

i agree. i will never own another pair of Elka's. i was just curious about them. axis and fox are the only shocks i really like.

631kfx400
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
i was thinking elka was going to step there game up.

One_Bad_400
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
if they would get rid of that nut and lock screw and have the clip like Axis, and had some better customer service. i wouldnt have a problem with them.

400exrider707
03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Typical for Elka, change the knobs around and make them look fancy. Too bad they dont ever seem to work as nice as they look.

Whatever those pro's are riding on, you will not be able to purchase through elka. Maybe the outside of them will look the same, but I would eat my hat if the insides were.:p

godzilla
03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
You guys can whine and ***** and cry all you want, but if those guys are riding Elka, its because the shocks work. Guys like Nelson, Baron, Dunk, Goodman and the rest of them would not have bothered if preliminary testing did not go well. Whatever they are riding has convinced them enough that the Elka's are good enough for them.

The only way for a shock company to progress is to test with the pros, and they are doing that...and in a big way with great results thus far. So stick to whatever other shocks you ride, and continue to rag on Elka all you want...at least they are trying and moving in the right direction.

protraxrptr17
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with Elkas. All of 'em are pretty much the same on the inside. It's all in the springs and valving. I think their components are the best. My fronts are '03 models and still have the original seal heads. I have one that is just now starting to weep just a little. I'm not too crazy about the piston seal, but it works.

C41Xracer
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
i liked the elkas i had on my c-dale and i might buy a new pair for my R

400exrider707
03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
You guys can whine and ***** and cry all you want, but if those guys are riding Elka, its because the shocks work. Guys like Nelson, Baron, Dunk, Goodman and the rest of them would not have bothered if preliminary testing did not go well. Whatever they are riding has convinced them enough that the Elka's are good enough for them.

The only way for a shock company to progress is to test with the pros, and they are doing that...and in a big way with great results thus far. So stick to whatever other shocks you ride, and continue to rag on Elka all you want...at least they are trying and moving in the right direction.

You're right, I'm sure the one's that THEY are riding are awesome. They're not going to be the shocks that Elka sells to the public. They are a great shock, once a builder sets them up correctly.

quad2xtreme
03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I had a set of MotoWoz as spares. It was really hard to let them go. They were better than my Stadium shocks. The only thing was the Stadiums went with my Houser a-arms. The MotoWoz were setup for SMC Fabrication a-arms. The a-arms weren't as nice as the Houser's that are fully adjustable.

reconmaster
03-19-2010, 02:28 PM
hetrick racing wa stesting a new set of elkas last year and he loved them over the factorys. i ride elka elites and love them mostly rode elkas before injuries when riding other friends bikes. like anything its about tuning them. Goodman used to ride PEP then Ohlins now elkas thats a big statement because most people that have ridden pep's usually don't switch

ZSNOW
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
The only people that hate and rag on elka are the people who never put the time in to set them up. I have been riding elkas for 2 years and i can tell you for SURE they blow my fox out of the water, all the fox ever did was leak! but my elka elites are comparable to my pep's when set up correctly, just takes a little more fine tuning. all of these shocks were tested on my Gibson 300 and my JB ltr.

JMO:cool:

eastside 400
03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
you guys do realize that the pro's are paid to ride whatever shock they are on correct? if they are not paid, they get them for free with all the service and support possible, you cannot look at anything a pro runs and say well if they are on it then it must be good. if that were true everyone would have a polaris by now haha. why do you think they all switch brands every year, its not because they feel that they are getting on something better all the time, its usually the money and support offered to them. the shock debate is pointless, everyone swears by one brand over another, its all a personal choice, i can say however that the elka's you order are not setup right, they throw a different spring on and thats it, all valving is predone, they just spring them different, same with fox rears, that being said... get someone to valve them which people have been saying will make the shocks work great.

motofreak2772
03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
you guys do realize that the pro's are paid to ride whatever shock they are on correct? if they are not paid, they get them for free with all the service and support possible, you cannot look at anything a pro runs and say well if they are on it then it must be good. if that were true everyone would have a polaris by now haha. why do you think they all switch brands every year, its not because they feel that they are getting on something better all the time, its usually the money and support offered to them. the shock debate is pointless, everyone swears by one brand over another, its all a personal choice, i can say however that the elka's you order are not setup right, they throw a different spring on and thats it, all valving is predone, they just spring them different, same with fox rears, that being said... get someone to valve them which people have been saying will make the shocks work great.
+1
Seriously the pros stuff is not the same as the stuff we get. Also they have professional shock builders tuning their stuff. They ride whatever they can get a better deal on. Look at pro am and A class riders without shock sponsors and that will give you a better idea of whats good and ask them what they think about the shocks they've ridden before because they are not forced to say its the best thing ever by contract lol.

Pat Tellier
03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
+1
Seriously the pros stuff is not the same as the stuff we get. Also they have professional shock builders tuning their stuff. They ride whatever they can get a better deal on. Look at pro am and A class riders without shock sponsors and that will give you a better idea of whats good and ask them what they think about the shocks they've ridden before because they are not forced to say its the best thing ever by contract lol.

I can't tell for other brands but can assure you that Elka is selling the exact same stuff that the pros ride.

Maybe that's why some people don't like Elka, possibly because they can't make full use of the products like the pros are.

Many riders ask for the most adjustability and performance then complain that they are not set up properly and that the ride is rough when that's how most pro run their stuff because it's fast.

If all customers buying shocks were 100% honest with themselves, they would not be ashamed to buy more entry-level setups that would better address their needs and expectations.

extremeblastr
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Pat Tellier
I can't tell for other brands but can assure you that Elka is selling the exact same stuff that the pros ride.

Maybe that's why some people don't like Elka, possibly because they can't make full use of the products like the pros are.

Many riders ask for the most adjustability and performance then complain that they are not set up properly and that the ride is rough when that's how most pro run their stuff because it's fast.

If all customers buying shocks were 100% honest with themselves, they would not be ashamed to buy more entry-level setups that would better address their needs and expectations.

i disagree i find that most people who dislike elka shocks including myself who have actually owned a set didn't like them because the valving seems to be off when you first get them and you have to get them rebuilt by someone else

400exrider707
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
i disagree i find that most people who dislike elka shocks including myself who have actually owned a set didn't like them because the valving seems to be off when you first get them and you have to get them rebuilt by someone else

Exactly, I bought entry level Elkas as my first aftermarket shocks. I thought they were awesome (coming from stock stuff) until I rode something else.

I couldn't believe how much better the elkas were over factory...

Then I couldn't believe I had rode elkas for that long and how terrible they rode compared to other brands. My stock 450R rebuilds from C&D rode worlds better than my elkas did.

jrspawn
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Pat Tellier

Then why would have Elka told me years back "i will never be able to buy the same shock setup as the factory suzuki pro's are running"? Again this is a word for word quote. One of the reasons(along with others) i do not run elka shock setups on any of my quads.

godzilla
03-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn
Then why would have Elka told me years back "i will never be able to buy the same shock setup as the factory suzuki pro's are running"? Again this is a word for word quote. One of the reasons(along with others) i do not run elka shock setups on any of my quads.

The same can be said for every shock company out there, no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

extremeblastr
03-23-2010, 07:26 AM
The same can be said for every shock company out there, no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

it became a mountain when we were lied to a few posts up, don't lie about your products to make them look better. either tell the truth or don't speak about them at all.

bomberman
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM

I dont think you get whst goes on behind the race truck doors do you. Id put all my money on saying, That the shocks you buy will NOT be the shocks they ride with. Just the same colours.

godzilla
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bomberman
I dont think you get whst goes on behind the race truck doors do you. Id put all my money on saying, That the shocks you buy will NOT be the shocks they ride with. Just the same colours.

lol...You have no idea, but its ok I forgive you.

;)

bens250ex
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
look at pat telliers sig and 1 post........hmmmmmmmmm anyways i owned a set of elkas once.......and then i sold them i even tried them on 2 sets of a-arms. . . i would buy another set if they where cheap

One_Bad_400
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by bomberman

that happends alot more then we think. i rode around with a pro rider for a few years, and the shocks he ran looked like one brand of shocks, but actually another brand of shocks were building them, they just made them look like another brand for sponsorship reasons.

been around a pro that had an exhaust that was built by another company, but was built to look like the sponsored brand with their tags, becasue of sponsorship reasons. cuz who wants to run the crappy stuff?

One_Bad_400
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Exactly, I bought entry level Elkas as my first aftermarket shocks. I thought they were awesome (coming from stock stuff) until I rode something else.

I couldn't believe how much better the elkas were over factory...

Then I couldn't believe I had rode elkas for that long and how terrible they rode compared to other brands. My stock 450R rebuilds from C&D rode worlds better than my elkas did.

Same here, i started off on ST Elka's and thought i was riding on a cloud. then moved up to LT Elka's and though i was riding the best quad in the market. then moved on to Axis and it blew my mind away, then got a set of Fox, and they are just as good as the Axis but also ride a little different. But compaired to Elka, Night and Day.

I also tried to fix the ST Elka because they were leaking, we called Elka to ask if they could fix them. "of corse, we built them" a few days later "Sir we cant fix these shocks, but we would be happy to sell you a pair of new ones"........... "ya i'm sure you would, i'll just buy a pair of Axis."

ben300
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
that happends alot more then we think. i rode around with a pro rider for a few years, and the shocks he ran looked like one brand of shocks, but actually another brand of shocks were building them, they just made them look like another brand for sponsorship reasons.

been around a pro that had an exhaust that was built by another company, but was built to look like the sponsored brand with their tags, becasue of sponsorship reasons. cuz who wants to run the crappy stuff?

i know this is irrelivant to atv's but in the skiing world, pro race skiers will have companies like fischer, volkl, and rossignol build them skiis, and then they'll rap them with another brands skins that they are sponsored by.....some skis, like suspension just work better than others and some brands make better stuff...