PDA

View Full Version : starter button failed.. what now?

coreyownz
03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
ok so my starter button works maybe 1/4 of the time i use it so i need a new one. but i really dont wanna spend like $55 for the bulky on/off when i dont even have a headlight. id like to get a tether to shut it off and like a cr style kill switch to start it. has anyone done this before? could you walk me threw it? thanks

coreyownz
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
can anyone help me?

JOHNDOE83
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
it may be the starter saftey on the clutch lever, disconnect the two wires on your clutch and connect them together.

if that doesnt fix it buy a push button switch from the auto parts store and get rid of your hole light switch assembly b.s. since you dont use them anyway, then get a tether kill switch to replace the the kill switch that was on the light switch.

those switches only work one way, either they connect the wire or disconnect the wire, its easy and with common sense it can be done by anyone.

coreyownz
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
ok but which wires run the starter button? im not good with electrical so your saying a push button from advance and a tether? that would be perfect thanks

coreyownz
03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
also what wires are for the clutch? it has an aftermarket clutch lever and perch so im not sure on what wires they are

JOHNDOE83
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
if its got a after market clutch the wires are probally already together...

when you take your starter buttons apart youll see what wires they are.

79400ex
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Also, you could use a moose kill switch for a cr 125 or cr250 bike that is what I used on one.

Honda#4
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Get a KX Style dirtbike killswitch for the starter and a Pro Armor Killswitch to use as the main killswitch. I run them and makes the bars look nice.

coreyownz
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
ok for the time being i got a horn push button switch because i gotta go to work tomarrow and no car cause im 15. so my big problem is, what do i do about the wires to the killswitch and the wires for the headlights? just tape them off or what? thanks

coreyownz
03-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Get a KX Style dirtbike killswitch for the starter and a Pro Armor Killswitch to use as the main killswitch. I run them and makes the bars look nice.
how hard was it to wire in the kx kill switch? what would i do with not having lights?

Honda#4
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Installing the switch was easy just take the two wires from the stock unit splice them together with the KX wires, the KX button comes with like 2ft of wire on it so I just cut the amount needed to make it work.

If you want lights without the stock unit your gonna have to run an extra switch to turn the lights on/off.

When removing the blob leave enough wire just incase you would want to put the stock unit back on. But in ur case you dont need to.

coreyownz
03-17-2010, 05:23 AM
but what do i do with the wires for the headlights for the time being? just tape them up and leave them their or what?

Honda#4
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Yea just tape them.