PDA

View Full Version : Filter Questions.

farmboy1
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a k&n filter on my 400ex. I just put it on before i had new rings put in my quad. I have yet to ride on this filter, but should i see any difference in my quad over the uni i had before? Am i going to need to rejet or expect to do anything different?

Also on my friends quad he has a bag type thing that goes over his k&n. Is this some sort of pre filter? Would this be reccomended and something i should buy also?

Thanks for your help.

jcs003
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
i would stick with a UNI. i had k&n and there was always dirt in my intake tube. but it does sound better with the k&n:p

farmboy1
03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
That's not what i like to hear after i just spent $65 on this filter =(((

mineralgrey01gt
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
once you oil the K&N once, it flows way worse than the UNI's. I read a test in a magazine about it once. Ill try to find the article online

jcs003
03-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by farmboy1
That's not what i like to hear after i just spent $65 on this filter =(((

they definitly arent cheap. i always put them in my cars, but for off road i would prefer a UNI.

if you do use the k&n. get the outerwears cover and get the outerwears lid for your airbox.

NacsMXer
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
they definitly arent cheap. i always put them in my cars, but for off road i would prefer a UNI.

if you do use the k&n. get the outerwears cover and get the outerwears lid for your airbox.

More bad news sorry. I ran both those Outerwears with my old K&N and it passed fine dust. The Outerwears help to prevent the filter from clogging prematurely, but they do nothing for stopping fine dust (K&N's major weakness).

farmboy1, you're taking a major step back in filtration ability going from a UNI to a K&N. If you don't ride in much heavy dust and maintain the K&N properly you may be ok.

I keep the K&N to my street vehicle only, but use foam on all off road vehicles. It would be overkill IMO to use a thick foam filter on the street to catch minor road dust. At the same time I feel that a thin cotton gauze filter like K&N is sub-par for the amount of dust my quad sees (fine dust in the intake proves that point).

IMO you should set up your quad for your application. Just like tire sizes, shock setups, etc. You should be using the correct air filter for your app.

400excracer
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I have always run K&N filters and have never had a problem. As long as you clean them regularly you wont have any problems. I dont care for the foam filters. They are messy and the K&N is easy to clean. I have switched to the Velocity Filter and like that alot. It is similar to the K&N but has more surface area. I doubt if you will notice any performance gain from switching to a K&N.

farmboy1
03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
since i have already invested in this k&n i'm pretty sure i'm going to give it a try.

Everyone of my friends run the k&n and don't seem to have a problem, but then again i'm not wanting to mess my quad up over a filter.

Another question..... What is a proper way to clean this filter?
Sorry i'm new to all this four wheeler stuff and have lots of unanswered questions, and as i go i have more an more. This seems to be a great place to learn the do's and don't's about my quad.

Thanks

NacsMXer
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by farmboy1
since i have already invested in this k&n i'm pretty sure i'm going to give it a try.

Everyone of my friends run the k&n and don't seem to have a problem, but then again i'm not wanting to mess my quad up over a filter.

Another question..... What is a proper way to clean this filter?
Sorry i'm new to all this four wheeler stuff and have lots of unanswered questions, and as i go i have more an more. This seems to be a great place to learn the do's and don't's about my quad.

Thanks

You need a K&N filter recharger kit. Comes with spray cleaner and oil. First knock loose dirt off the filter gently with a soft brush. Then spray on the filter cleaner liberally and let it sit for 10 minutes. After that, take the filter and rinse it under a sink/hose from the inside out. Let filter air dry (may take a day). Spray the filter oil on the crown of each pleat making sure not to overoil it. Let the filter sit for a couple hours. Come back and reoil any spots you may have missed. That's the gist of it, the recharger kit comes with instructions though.

Check your airboot for dirt each time you clean your filter. Simply take a paper towel with a little WD-40 on it and wipe the inside of the intake boot. If you find any brown dust/grit on the paper towel, it's time to go back to a foam filter. If you are new to quads, heed my advice on this...especially since you just put in new rings. If you suck in dust with the K&N you will trash your rings prematurely. I had fine dust in my intake boot every time with the K&N, ever since I switched to a UNI everything is clean. Keep an eye on that intake boot, it will tell if the filter is doing its job or not.

farmboy1
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
NacsMXer: Thanks for that post. Very informative.

Went riding with my buddies one day. this was the first day i rode it really hard and took it out far from home riding. rode from 9-630 that day. broke a few things and prolly should have quit riding.
Broke my clutch cable about noon and so powershifted the rest of the day =((. then about 4 pm it started smoking real bad. didn't know what the deal was. but whenever i got it home, a few days later, my k&n i ordered came in. went to put that on, and looked up and the intake boot had fallen off the back of the carburator. so this is why i'm guessing my rings got screwed up.
This was last summer and haven't ridden it since i got it back from getting new rings.
Lesson learned i guess?

honda400ex2003
03-16-2010, 01:24 PM
i have never had any issues with mine. I have ran it for around 4 years with no issues. Clean it properly and you will be fine. I also recommend an outerwears, just for a bit of help and it is nice when not running a lid, it keeps the water out a bit better. steve

MidnightBlade
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
UNI is definately the way to go just clean it out good with water then smear some old motor oil on the go tear it up. as for the rings youll probaly have to re-bore your motor because the same dirt that ruined your rings will have scratched your cylinder walls. hope this helps some

slightlybent47
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I know I will be criticized about my opinion, but here it is.
The propos of an air filter is to clean and filter the air that enters the engine.
They work by having small holes or passage ways that allow air through.
When an air filter is restricted to a certain size then the only way to make it flow better is to make the holes, bigger or more holes but smaller in size.
They go by the size of the holes and are rated in microns.
Some manufactures clam that there filter will create a better flow by creating a vortex inside the filter that will magically create HP.
But you have to remember there trying to sell you an expensive filter and marketing is part of there campaign. The same principle applies to cars and trucks, for year’s people have clamed that by putting in some device that creates a vortex in the intake system and that will give you better HP and gas mileage. It’s all bull stit.

Everyone I know has tried the K&N and the UNI and almost every one of them had issues with dirt getting in. And yes they were properly installed and the outer wears on it. Four of them had to have there brand new LTR rebuilt because they used an after market filter.
They all use the stock foam filter now and have had no further problems.

A stock filter with a pre filter on top of that will flow very well, the very small amount of power you get with a aftermarket filter is not worth the risk of loosing a motor. After all we spend a lot of money on oil and filters to keep it clean and get a long life out of the motor. The same applies to the air filter.

Stock foam filter with a pre filter on top and Bell filter oil (liquid not the spray) is the only way to go.

JMO

farmboy1
03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for everyones help, i think if i get the chance i'm just going to ride it and see how things go, keep a close eye on it, and keep the filter clean. thanks for everyones help.

farmboy1
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
so another stupid question. i'm getting ready to take off and go riding with my friends in about a week and half.
I have yet to ride on my k&n, and just put it on straight from the box. Is there any oil or anything i need to do to this filter before i go riding? Don't want to not do anything to it, and then ride and mess things up again.
Thanks for your help

honda400ex2003
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
if the k&n has a red color to it you are good to go. I believe they come pre oiled for the first time from the factory. steve

slightlybent47
03-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Take your stock one and put it in your box, just in case you need a spar.