PDA

View Full Version : For all you "mudders" out there

troybilt
03-15-2010, 11:22 AM
What are some tricks to keeping it clean and/or making it easy to clean? I despise getting my bikes muddy, I think it is my obsessive compulsiveness, wondering if there is any tips or advice to making it easier.

I finally got my woods build out this weekend, for first few break in proceedures. We had ~3 inches of rain last week and everything was sloppy... so I stayed pretty much in the parking lot for the break in. LOL!!!

I heard somethings when I had my RZR about making it easier to clean: for example = spray the plastic with PAM cooking spray, makes the mud fall off...

any other ideas?

C41Xracer
03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
spray the plastic and all parts that will get coated with mud with cooking spray. the mud wont stick and what does stick comes off easily

jcs003
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
i have alweays used wd-40. i put it on all parts that dont need a grip. i do not put it on seat, grips or pegs. all the rest its just good protection and helps mud come off easier.

250rPRIDE
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
do not use wd-40 you shouldnt even use it on o ring chains, its know for swelling the o ring up which makes it weak and brittel after it drys...it it does that to a oring i wouldnt want it all over my quad.. plus its flameable, not trying to start anything but i was told this many years ago from different people.

troy for years on all my quads from 250r's to rincons to my big red and even dirtbikes i use tire foaming armor all.. hose the thing down and i mean everything except seat grips etc., it makes it look great too, but do this.
hose it down the first time and rub it in after about 5 mins, then give it all a good second coat and let it sit dont touch it, and sometimes when its bad out i hit under the fenders and other areas a 3rd time just let it run. it sounds like a lot but its really easy and one can will do my r about 4-6 times and its 2.50 a can at walmart. i buy i by the case :D and i avoid doing it on my black top.. push it in the yard it doesnt hurt the grass. also another tip is wash it as soon as you can after riding the longer you wait the hard it is to clean, i know sometimes your beat when your done but even if you hose it off for 5 mins it will save you soooo much in the long run.
goodluck

jcs003
03-15-2010, 02:32 PM
i hate to break it to you, but those are all wd-40 myths that have been tested and proven to be false.

it may have an affect on vulcanized rubber, but o-ring chains are polyurethene.

it is not flammable. if you spray it directly out of the can with a flame in the area the gasses may ignite.

plus it protects against coeosion and rust.

312R1
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i hate to break it to you, but those are all wd-40 myths that have been tested and proven to be false.

it is not flammable. if you spray it directly out of the can with a flame in the area the gasses may ignite.

I have used WD-40 for years also..never had any issues.

IcutMetl
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
WD-40 or Silicone Spray!

ml250r
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
wd for me! no probs w it!

250rPRIDE
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by jcs003

if they are myths then so be it. like i said thats what i was told, i just use what i know works and its the most cost affective in my eyes i have tryed pam too the results were no better and it turns to grease with mixed with mud or dust and makes it harded to wash, thats another benifit from armor all, but hey to each his own, only thing i use wd-40 for is all the chrome on my streetbike when i store it for the winter, works good for that..

rockingkfarms
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
For XC, I have always used silicone spray. Recently, I've been using Maxima SC1 and it works very well.

croat1
03-16-2010, 01:08 AM
troy: i usually use silicone spray or wd40. but the bottom line is that you have to realize that a woods/xc bike is going to look like crap really fast. nature of the beast i guess. i've taken a mint quad into the woods and after 2 days of riding the bike looked like a beater. rocks/ruts/logs/deep mud all sure do their share of damage. stuff gets scratched and dented. plastic turns dull and scratched. the mud actually acts like sandpaper (especially at the tank area).

troybilt
03-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by croat1
troy: i usually use silicone spray or wd40. but the bottom line is that you have to realize that a woods/xc bike is going to look like crap really fast. nature of the beast i guess. i've taken a mint quad into the woods and after 2 days of riding the bike looked like a beater. rocks/ruts/logs/deep mud all sure do their share of damage. stuff gets scratched and dented. plastic turns dull and scratched. the mud actually acts like sandpaper (especially at the tank area).

That's what I was afraid of... LOL... With the little mud that I got on mine, I could really see out this stuff will "sand" the crap out of my plastic. Little nervous about getting new fullbores and turning them into crap after a few rides...