PDA

View Full Version : Running lean?

TRX_450
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I've been working on my 440 for about 2 weeks now trying to get the jetting right on it. Its got a JE 12.5:1 440 kit, a stage 2 hotcams, HMF slipon, and no airbox lid. I knew it had to be running lean since the rebuild and I had'nt jetted it, so i went and got some jets and went up to a 42 pilot and 155 main, f/a 2.5 turns out. It started to run a little bit better, not a whole lot of popping on the decel, but when it was just idling and i would give it a quick rev it would hesitate and fall on its face. It was also running lean according to my new plug. I went back to the dealership and talked to one of the mechanics and he suggested going up to a 45 pilot for the initial crack of the gas and to also bump up to a 160 main. I rode it around and I think its gotten a little better, but it still hesitates and falls on its face for the most part unless I'm really getting into it. I'm not sure whats going on, I've got a 165 main I could put in it but I really dont think the main is the problem. My dad thought maybe it could have something to do with my float, but I've never actually messed with it so I wouldnt know how to adjust it. Somebody else thought my needle may be clogged up as the stock pilot I took out seemed to be. Any other ideas or suggestions on where to start looking?

JOHNDOE83
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
My 440 has a 220 main jet, you need to get big on jets, all problems solved...

3400ben
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Do one change at a time.

jcs003
03-16-2010, 02:15 AM
change the position of you needle. check for intake air leaks too.