PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil tank relocated

Built_300EX
03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
I just bought a 400ex, it runs fine but some things are bothering me. It has the oil tank relocated to the front of the bike. Will this hurt the quad in anyway as long as I don't puncture it? I do the whole wheelie deal, keep it on two for awhile.

Also, the battery is under the front plastic, bolted securely. Anyway, just try to get back to me soon, going to be finally taking it out in the hills for the first time March 18th, this coming Thursday, after my plastic, clutch cable, and etc arrive im throwing it on and taking it out.

Also, maybe a nice trick to getting that clutch cable not to melt and it being a stock one. I've heard flipping the clutch cable bracket around and it will work. Somewhere on the clutch cables path down to the headers.

jcs003
03-15-2010, 02:08 AM
the il tank is located at the front of the bike.

jdog75
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
?????? can u post a pic

Pabst_Powered
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
:huh

Built_300EX
03-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Can't post the pics because I lost my usb to the camera. It'll take a few for me to find it of course;however, The tank is located on the main front end, right on the model sticker, well on that side, I can still see the stickers somewhat.
They have some different plumbing going back to the tank, basically extended it. The tank sits at a

\\\\\\\\ angle now. Instead of ///// and the oil lead from the bottom of the tank is something like

\\---
___|

\\ representing the tank, and the small lines representing the line running from the tank.

storms400ex
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by storms400ex
:huh hey thats the same face I made...:huh

mdt75crazy
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
take a seat----> \_

lester985
03-16-2010, 10:06 PM
:huh x2

mineralgrey01gt
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
i really want to see this setup bad and ill add

lester985
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
yep this will be something to see

Built_300EX
03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Sorry about the ASCII. Only way to show you at the moment. Just think basic angle.
The frame at the front where the two stickers are across from one another.
year sticker on the right
well, right after the 2003 ends the oil tank begins. It's setting low enough on the frame that it wont take damage but does the motor push the oil through well enough from that tank.

Ok, another way to put it is
the oil tank is at the front of the headers.
Now its at the front of the frame. Instead of the plumbing going toward the front its now going back. Not much was added. I've been checking it out more, I see no reason why it would be there. Even the bolts on the frame are still ok just to post it on it. Maybe a heat issue? I don't know.

Also, the bottom exit to the tank is going forward, down, and back, just a nice hose going back. Nothing completely rigged, because there is no reason to rig it. The battery was also moved to the front next to the head light assembly and its nicely put there. I think I am going to contact the previous owner and ask about it.

81-Honda-04
03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
sounds like it could be on backwards? or is mounted on the wrong side of the frame like closer to the front bumper instead of the headers? we will have to see a pic..

MidnightBlade
03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
:ermm: ill have to see it i understand what your saying but im curios of the setup

aDviSol2y
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed pictures of this!!! Its driving me nuts! I think I know what you are saying, I think I can picture it, but why would this be done is the question?

slightlybent47
03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
My only thought would be that someone was going to make a drag bike and wanted as much weight up front as possible.
Did you say the battery had been moved up front as well?

jcs003
03-17-2010, 03:33 PM
i just dont think the oil lines are long enough if is the way i have it pictured in my head.

Built_300EX
03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Yes, you're all probably picturing it right. Its on backwards at the front of the frame. The only line that was added was a small piece at the top to go to the oil coolier and a long braided hose going to the tank from the motor. Just bascially extended it out and added it to the front.

I bought a new setup for it though, its on its way. Also a dyno jet kit. My exhaust is glowing red, t4 full system, air box lid is gapped so. I seen it tonight while letting it idle. Sounds good and all, just glows bright red within like 2-4 minutes of idle.

Another thing, is there a small piece I can get to slip around my exhaust at the end of the exhaust and the start of the header? Basically a circle ring, tiny tiny bit of play within the two causing some noise. Put my foot there, it stops so I know the spot.

Back to the tank. I did purchase the complete tank and cooler assembly. Going to mount it in original spot with every single piece of original stuff. Even so, ill still post how they had it when I get a usb cord, I have the pictures already.

One more thing, will it be ok for me to trail ride, with glowing red headers and an oil tank on the front? As long as I dont climb any massive hills or wheelie?

*Addition*
Yes, the battery is upfront also. I don't mind it there, its actually better so people can't get to what they need easily if it was being messed with. I personally won't need anything under the plastic for awhile, everythings secure, new plastic, clutch cable etc came in today.

VTredneckgames
03-18-2010, 05:09 AM
I guess I learn something new everyday

mineralgrey01gt
03-18-2010, 06:10 AM
its an air cooled motor and with a full aftermarket exhaust it will glow red. Mine does it on the stock header and its jetted to perfection. Its not like a liquid cooled engine that will not do that since the liquid is constantly flowing and getting cooled. How bright is the exhaust when glowing? Mine has a slight tint and a low glowing effect.

VTredneckgames
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
they will really glow read? it just doesnt seem right to me. But I am used to water cooled. I just didnt think they could get that hot without something being wrong.

mineralgrey01gt
03-18-2010, 07:36 AM
they will unless your running rich, but mine is spot on and it has just a slight tint, nothing noticeable unless you have every single light off, but when i run down the road they are normal, no glow at all. Its just air cooled engines, its not the first one ive noticed after i saw mine doing it. My brothers 250 big red does it also

MidnightBlade
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
my 400 did it when it was still stock from the factory all i did was break it in

Black450ER
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
It's normal, I kinda freaked out about the glow as well when it was new.

coryatver
03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
glow is normal.

If it was mine I would buy stock parts and get rid of the rigged up setup

Built_300EX
03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Rigged setup is gone tomorrow as soon as the UPS truck gets here. As far as the glow, its damn bright. You turn the lights off and slowly see it start, then it just goes from a lighter glow to bright as hell in about 4 minutes of idle.

I got the jet kit anyway, going to make sure. Also, I cant find a spark plug tool to see if its running lean or not. Can someone tell me the size I should run on this quad? The parts from the dyno jet kit of course. Which notch should the needle be on, which jetting, things for above sea level. I normally ride from 600-1400 feet. So should I go with 900 f.a.s.l?

Also some oil around the rockers covers, tiny tiny bit, it wipes right off, takes about 10+ (most of testing within 4-10) for oil to be seen, and thats just because im looking for it. Any suggestions there?

I add things to this over night. Sorry for jumping but its just random things I come across. Changed the oil, no metal, just really dirty and had a gas smell. changed the oil once, pretty thin, still dirty as hell. After the second time, no smell of gas and it was clean oil finally.

Hah another issue has risen! Gas in the bottom end. Needle in the carb causing this by any chance? Had ths issue before and its like to big of jetting, needle or somethng along those lines.

By the way, sorry about any words missing the letter "I i" the key sticks on this laptop. Anyway, get back to me soon.

jcs003
03-19-2010, 01:43 AM
are yu sure you dont have a high compression piston in there? if you have the wrong octane fuel it will seem like a lean condition.

Built_300EX
03-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Yea, its not lean I don't believe. Somehow it starts right away, runs good, doesnt smoke. It's just getting gas in the bottom end so maybe its running to rich? Any thoughts?

185 main, 38 pilot, needle notch I haven't checked yet. The intake walls seem to be port/polished unless they come stock like that ^_^
Read the tag for the exhaust and such. Bore size is unknown at this point. I've heard it had a big bore but the guy didnt tell me too much. It's been so long since i've rode, I can't tell the difference in a 440 and 400. It hauls @#%. I still can't tell at all though. It may even have a stage 2 cam for all I know.

ian0615
03-20-2010, 10:47 AM
you should post a picture of this setup, its got me thinking of some crazy stuff

BuB400
03-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I think I bought a quad from the same guy. Mine had 3 tires on the left and 1 on the right.

-TheDude-
03-20-2010, 11:40 AM
if its glowing red its running lean rejet it

honda400ex2003
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
no pics yet? steve

Built_300EX
03-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by -TheDude-
if its glowing red its running lean rejet it

I know it says lean, but how is it lean when im getting gas in my oil?

The quad doesnt show the fall at all though, it runs like a champ. I would think if it was that rich it would die off, and lean it would run great but not be dumping gas into the oil..?

JOHNDOE83
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I have a 220 main jet, my oil never has gas in it, and my headers, NEVER glow red.....

BuB400
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Built_300EX
[B]I know it says lean, but how is it lean when im getting gas in my oil?

If your getting gas in your oil, your needle and seat must be bad.

storms400ex
03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
wheres the pictures???? :huh

Built_300EX
03-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I've got the usb finally and the pics I still have from before. I relocated the oil tank though, back to the original spot.

Thumpin440ex
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
PICS :P

John

Built_300EX
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Im hoping for a reply on the gas in my oil. Not asking for pics. I said I will post when I have a chance. I work, I have a son and I have a crappy laptop atm because my desktop got hit by the anti virus 2010 that was going through verizon. So most of my time goes to life instead of waiting on the crappy computer I have to allow the camera to run and then upload. I tried to the other day and it took literally 15 minutes to bring up the camera, atleast 10-15 to download all the pics to the cp. I'll post it soon.

Anyway, I got the oil tank relocated, original eq back on the quad as far as the tank goes. It was just mounted on the front of the frame.

storms400ex
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
:rolleyes: yeah yeah

Built_300EX
03-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by BuB400
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Built_300EX
[B]I know it says lean, but how is it lean when im getting gas in my oil?

If your getting gas in your oil, your needle and seat must be bad.

Thanks man. Was going that way once I started reading up on the carb, got close to it. The oring near the seat I am replacing also the needle. The seat not yet. Will the seat be noticable if its bad? And 64.99 for the assembly is steep when I can buy a carb for 100 on ebay.

Chuck75
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I have to ask this and it may not be the case at all but with the red glow and the fuel in the oil all I can think is you either have a restriction in your exhaust system and some one jetted the piss out of it to compesate or someone really screwed the re assembly of your eng.

coryatver
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
red glow is normal. check this out on HMF's web site

http://hmfracing.com/tech-resources/headpipe-color--engine-tuning

HMF Quote
"A good exhaust gas temperature at the exhaust port is 1250°F (Blood to Cherry Red). In general, glowing is acceptable for the first 6-8 inches after the exhaust port. When cool, the head pipe shouldn't be blue more than 10 inches from the exhaust port.