PDA

View Full Version : new 250r owner!

justin.hughes
03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I just picked up a 88 250r that is in great shape. I was told the only mods are front itp tires and fmf fatty exhaust. What maintenance should I do? I am not familiar with these.

CODY_M11
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
im just a rookie with 250rs but i would recomend check case oil, new plug, flush radiator, check all bearing and seals, check to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and drain fuel and top off with new. just my opinion to make sure everything is the way it should be.

justin.hughes
03-15-2010, 03:26 AM
is the case oil just regular oil with a filter or something different?

IcutMetl
03-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Nope; in a 2-cycle engine, oil only lubes the gears, clutch, etc, and has no filter. Buy a bottle of Honda HP Trans Oil, drain and refill the right amount with that. You'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you picked up a factory manual. If you search hard enough online or on here, you should be able to snag one for free- that's how I got mine. Factory manuals are way better than the Haynes, Clymer, or similar.

A few other very basic items; take a look at the air filter and either clean or replace it with a freshly oiled one. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check your compression and make sure your carb is jetted correctly. If you don't know how to do it, find out how or take it to someone who does- it could save you a headache and a light wallet. Make sure you're running premium pump fuel and a good quality premix oil; most will tell you to run 40:1-32:1. Lube cables, check for play in wheel and chassis bearings, inspect the chain and sprockets for wear and replace if needed...things like that. Keep it clean, treat it right, and have fun!

LRD-R
03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
ive had my 89 250r since 1990 keep an eye on yer axle nut prone to work its way loose.go aftermarket and get a different version.or if noy wrap it up in duct tape .it works

justin.hughes
03-16-2010, 04:50 AM
what is everyone using for an intake, airbox? i have no lid with k&n and outerwear. the airbox is junky and needs to be replaced. just want some ideas?

IcutMetl
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Factory airbox, snorkel, and clean, well-oiled UNI filter. I bought an EHS airbox lid and couldn't be happier with it- it bridges the gap perfectly between open and closed lid.

croat1
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Factory airbox, snorkel, and clean, well-oiled UNI filter. I bought an EHS airbox lid and couldn't be happier with it- it bridges the gap perfectly between open and closed lid.

X2

IcutMetl
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Go to www.ehsracing.com; they're a little on the pricey side, but still a good option, and looks a lot less hokey than drilling a bunch of holes in your lid, even if you put the 1" foam plugs in.

justin.hughes
03-16-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks for the advice. Today was the first day I really rode it around, the yard. I noticed it doesn't want to idle at all. It does have a K&N with no lid. I wonder if its running lean or rich. Haven't checked the plug yet.

justin.hughes
03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
what size jets should I be using with a fmf fatty exhaust and k&n filter with no lid?

Latemodel32
03-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I've owned 5 250R's over the yrs (86,87,(2)88,89) out of all of them only one idled was the 86. But i liked them to not idle something i got use to. If its lean your plug will be white if its tan your right on and if its wet/Black your rich..........Better to be rich then lean....ahhh i miss my 250R's

justin.hughes
03-22-2010, 04:46 AM
I just ordered a EHS lid. It appears that my carb does not have an idle adjustment. Is is supposed to? Also I am thinking of moving up to a 35mm or 36mm carb. Will either of these just bolt on without any other modification?

Ruf Racing
03-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by justin.hughes
I just ordered a EHS lid. It appears that my carb does not have an idle adjustment. Is is supposed to? Also I am thinking of moving up to a 35mm or 36mm carb. Will either of these just bolt on without any other modification?

The choke plunger is also used as the idle adjustment.
With the choke off and the bike running, turn the knob
counter clockwise to increase the idle.

IcutMetl
03-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Yep; on the stock PJ carbs, the choke doubled as the idle screw. At first, I kind of liked it- convenient, but found that I was always fiddling with the idle to keep it consistent and I gathered there are others out there who had this pesky issue.

I had a 38mm PJ on mine when I bought it with the same Boyssen RAD valve I'm using now. I now have a 38mm PWK AirStriker that's been worked over a little bit. From what I gather, it's a tight fit in the stock boots (it was in mine), but if you soak the rubber boots in HOT water, it definitely helps make them more compliant.

From what I gather, the 35mm PWK AirStriker is an awesome woods carb, and at times I wish I had one to experiment with for more bottom and midrange. I would imagine that would pop right in to your setup w/o a problem!

justin.hughes
03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
when i try to adjust the idle it makes no difference. I can just spin it in a circle with no change. I just ordered a 35mm air striker carb.